Lightning LS-1

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

zaitcev

Re: Lightning LS-1

Post by zaitcev »

Any airplane needs to be kept at recommended speeds. And LSAs have a maximum stall speed through ASTM standards. It's not like you are screaming in in a Lancair IV-P, so one should easily stay ahead of the airplane.

I do have some small doubt remaining because the Arion's website recommends Vref of 52 knots. That seems much too low. For example GX has Vref 60 knots with flaps 15. So I am afraid that LS-1 requires attention to keeping it at the speed and does not offer much margin against unfortunate wind gusts. I presume Arion recommend dragging LS-1 in this way so it does not build up speed that you cannot dissipate before touchdown, but having not flown one I cannot know.

But even so it does not seem like a big deal. I may be missing something vital, however.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

zaitcev wrote:Any airplane needs to be kept at recommended speeds. And LSAs have a maximum stall speed through ASTM standards. It's not like you are screaming in in a Lancair IV-P, so one should easily stay ahead of the airplane.

I do have some small doubt remaining because the Arion's website recommends Vref of 52 knots. That seems much too low. For example GX has Vref 60 knots with flaps 15. So I am afraid that LS-1 requires attention to keeping it at the speed and does not offer much margin against unfortunate wind gusts. I presume Arion recommend dragging LS-1 in this way so it does not build up speed that you cannot dissipate before touchdown, but having not flown one I cannot know.

But even so it does not seem like a big deal. I may be missing something vital, however.
IIRC, the LSA Arion variant has extended wingtips that make the wing quite large. I can believe 52 knots.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
rgstubbsjr

Post by rgstubbsjr »

I have decided I really, REALLY want to test fly a Lightning.
My wife has family in Nashville, hmmmm........
designrs

Post by designrs »

Please report on test flight!
zaitcev

Post by zaitcev »

MrMorden wrote:IIRC, the LSA Arion variant has extended wingtips that make the wing quite large. I can believe 52 knots.
There's nothing unbelievable about the 52 kts figure. It falls between 1.2 of Vs and 1.3 of Vs0. What I'm trying point out is not if it's believable or not, but that it's way lower than Vbg or Vy for LS-1, and therefore you're deeply on the back of the power when flying it. It's an observation based on known facts, not beliefs.
ct4me

Post by ct4me »

FWIW... friend had one... long-time pilot, owned many airplanes. Crashed it twice... landing incidents. hmmmmm.
Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com
rgstubbsjr

Post by rgstubbsjr »

ct4me wrote:FWIW... friend had one... long-time pilot, owned many airplanes. Crashed it twice... landing incidents. hmmmmm.
I've talked to a number of pilots who say it's the "Martin Marauder", "F-104", etc, etc of Light Sport aircraft.
Which just increases the allure for me. Those are 2 planes I always wanted to fly, but I never had a chance to fly, in my misspent youth.

:twisted:
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=138980

Not too far from me. I believe I saw somewhere that this would have been the plane's first flight.
- Bruce
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Chemguy

Post by Chemguy »

rgstubbsjr wrote:
ct4me wrote:FWIW... friend had one... long-time pilot, owned many airplanes. Crashed it twice... landing incidents. hmmmmm.
I've talked to a number of pilots who say it's the "Martin Marauder", "F-104", etc, etc of Light Sport aircraft.
Which just increases the allure for me. Those are 2 planes I always wanted to fly, but I never had a chance to fly, in my misspent youth.

My father was a B-26 pilot in WWII. He said the Marauder did not "know" slow. On return from a mission in Germany, badly damaged by flak and on one engine, his 2nd engine failed. He said he and the copilot analyzed their chances of power-off maneuvering to find an off-field landing site over snow covered ground. Knowing the characteristics of the plane and back over friendly territory, he ordered the crew to abandon ship. They all did (safely). Since I am here, I suspect he made the correct decision.
rgstubbsjr

Post by rgstubbsjr »

Chemguy wrote:
rgstubbsjr wrote:

My father was a B-26 pilot in WWII. He said the Marauder did not "know" slow. On return from a mission in Germany, badly damaged by flak and on one engine, his 2nd engine failed. He said he and the copilot analyzed their chances of power-off maneuvering to find an off-field landing site over snow covered ground. Knowing the characteristics of the plane and back over friendly territory, he ordered the crew to abandon ship. They all did (safely). Since I am here, I suspect he made the correct decision.

Great story! Thanks for sharing.