Time to talk about Allegro's

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

rfane

Time to talk about Allegro's

Post by rfane »

ka7eej wrote:WOW------ANYONE WANT TO TALK ABOUT ALLEGRO 2000 OR 2007'S?????
CharlieTango wrote:we can talk about allegros between rounds
ka7eej wrote:My 18 year old son has just soloed in my Allegro 2000 after 9 hours of dual. It took me over 25 to solo. Did my Allegro somehow get easer to fly, or could it be the difference in age, student learning curve, instructors(he has a different instructor than I used) ... I say that there are many factors that make a plane "HARDER TO FLY"
I think Brian has been waiting long enough to talk about Allegro's. I'm looking forward to getting a look at his during the Page, AZ fly-in, in a couple of months.

Brian and others, tell of your experience with the Allegro. Just do us all a favor and let's forego the comparisons to a CT. :lol:
Roger Fane
Former owner of a 2006 Flight Design CTsw
Doss79

Post by Doss79 »

That's pretty good. I soloed in a J3 Cub in 13 hours. Would've been earlier if I kept at it.

Back in the day people were soloing around 8hours.
ka7eej

Post by ka7eej »

Roger,
Thanks for the topic.... You are so cool....Love your last post on another topic.... There are about 50 Allegro's in the US. In 2007 there was a style change (Hence Allergo 2000 vs 2007) that increased cabin width, fuel capicity, enlarged rudder area which made the airplane more stable and less rudder dependant (Eaiser to fly!!) I hope to hear from Jim Hazen from Mesa, Az who never had flown, got his Sport Pilot license at around 58-60 years old and has now landed in all 48 continuous states...In an Allegro 2000...He purchased the Allegro 2000 from Falcon Executive Avaition in Mesa Az where received his training. Now that is a cool story. Allegro has sort of been on hold the last two years but now the plane will be built in the USA (Oregon) by Sadler Aviation (Viper LSA). Previously made in the Check Republic.. . We hope the see sales start back up and start to climb in the ratings. Still around number 11 with no planes sold in 2 years.
The Allegro is about the only LSA to feature a high wing and a T Tail... All composite body with metal wings and tail.. Lands very similar to most LSA's.( Ct's too!) Something I wish my CFI had known. I spent many, many hours being taught a power off, full flap, full stall landing. After I was allowed to solo, and reading comments here and on CTFLYER.COM, it slowley has come out over the last year or so that LSA land different... A little power on landing and fly it onto the ground makes a world of difference..
More from me later and I am looking forward to seeing a bunch of you in Page this year
Owner of N3081X (Cover Girl) A Beautiful Allegro 2000 as seen on the cover and inside of several magazines!!
rfane

Post by rfane »

Brian,

It was great meeting you at Page last year, and I look forward to seeing you again. I had read your story about bringing your Allegro home quite a while back. Between that, and Jim Hazen's story, it reinspired me to complete a cross-country and back flight that I have been dreaming about for too many years. I finally found the time to do it this last December.

What's the fuel capacity difference between the two Allegro models? Is fuel in the wings or fuselage?

How's the cabin space, and baggage capacity? I know Jim has been all over the states, but would you recommend the Allegro as a cross-country plane, or just a local flyer?
Roger Fane
Former owner of a 2006 Flight Design CTsw
JRamos9920

Post by JRamos9920 »

rfane wrote: What's the fuel capacity difference between the two Allegro models? Is fuel in the wings or fuselage?
The 2007 model has 10.5 gallons more.. so 27 gallons as opposed to 16.5 in the Allegro 2000
rfane wrote:How's the cabin space, and baggage capacity? I know Jim has been all over the states, but would you recommend the Allegro as a cross-country plane, or just a local flyer?
The headroom was increased by 5 cm. The doors were widened by the same amount. The baggage capacity is a compartment behind the seats. The 2007 is fitted with adjustable seats.

As far as cross country flying, it's not a terrible cross country plane but I'd prefer to use it as a local flyer. Hope this helps.
ka7eej

Post by ka7eej »

Roger,

Counting the days until Page.

MR Remos is almost correct. The 2000 has 14 gal tank under the seats and the 2007 is 16... There is an option for either to add 10 gals (5 per side) in the wings.. There is a built in electric pump systen to fill the wing tanks from the main belly tank. The fuel filler is just below the pilots door.
I plan on 2.5 hours of flight time per leg. While the flight from North Carolina to Arizona was very cool. We stopped a lot.. I think one or two stops for fuel would be as long a flight that I would like to make in an Allegro... That timing seems to work well for my bladder as well!!! So 500 to 750 miles per day is good for me...
Baggage is limited to 33 lbs but is somewhat accessable behind the seats. A couple of softsided bags work well..

later,
Brian
Owner of N3081X (Cover Girl) A Beautiful Allegro 2000 as seen on the cover and inside of several magazines!!
theskunk

Post by theskunk »

So who else has one of these birds? I've been talking to Ross and they are supposed to be getting one down at b-bar-d with a skyview display, and they are talking about putting a 3 axis autopilot on it, too...

Hopefully I'll get to fly with them starting next week! Anybody have any pre-reading i should do with the rudder-dominance of this aircraft?
roger lee

Allegro numbers

Post by roger lee »

There are approximately 44 Allegro's in the US.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
ka7eej

Post by ka7eej »

While at Oshkosh this year I was able to take a look at the first Allegro built in the United States.. NICE Looks like Doug and Betty are very serious in getting some more Allegros sold... Their current website... www.allegrolsa.com.. I now have 440 hours on my 2006 and continue to love it..The metal wings, rudder and elevator with composite fuselage make it light weight and sturdy..You see used ones at 55-65k and news start under 100k... Check them out....
theskunk

Post by theskunk »

Whats the realistic cruise in an allegro with the 100hp? I'm trying to find something that can truly be used in a cross country fashion -- any word on an autopilot being fitted in one?
zaitcev

Post by zaitcev »

Bonnie's CTLS N505MA has a Tru Trak Digiflight IIVS 2-axis autopilot. She is a small woman, so not as concerned with empty weight. But I would rather have available payload instead. I don't think I can persuade my wife to pack light enough! Flying LSA by hand is not tiring, in my experience (I mean, taking N28GX to places in about 300 nm range). B-bar-D website does not specify an autopilot as available equipment for Allegro.
drseti

Post by drseti »

zaitcev wrote: I don't think I can persuade my wife to pack light enough!
And you're doubtless intelligent enough not to try! :wink:
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
timpry

Sure thing

Post by timpry »

I love mine... Its a fine little airplane... and other than a couple of upgrades... IE replacing the OEM break/axle/wheels with Matco parts... and replacing a gear leg that had begun to delaminate... its only cost me a few hundred a month for gas, insurance, maintenance and hangar fees. Its fast enough for my needs...has enough range for my needs... and easy enough to fly... I cant complain.
Tim Pry
zaitcev

Post by zaitcev »

Tim, do you have 2000 or 2007 model?
timpry

Post by timpry »

I have a 2000 model...
Tim Pry