light sport IFR

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

frfly172

light sport IFR

Post by frfly172 »

Any one flown a light sport IFR? IF so what model and how was it?
glyn

Post by glyn »

Yup. A Tecnam sierra. Wasn't bad at all. Granted it wasn't through thunderstorms just low clouds.
As far as performance, not an issue. Granted it felt kinda weird flying a 2 seater IFR.
www.sportflyers.org

www.ussportplanes.com

if you can't fly right.... fly upside down
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

I've been told, but someone that should know, that there will be a rule change in the not-to-distant future that will prohibit IFR in an S-LSA.

I took this with a large grain of salt, as planes like the AMD 601XL are specifically sold as being IFR capable, complete with TSO's instruments. I'd be really TO'ed if I spent the extra bucks for a TSO'ed panel just to be sure I could fly IFR and the have the rug pulled out from under me.

Just thought I'd pass it along

Ron
glyn

Post by glyn »

OH MAN !!! didn't see that coming.. well, kind of..

is there a story on it?
www.sportflyers.org

www.ussportplanes.com

if you can't fly right.... fly upside down
Helen

Post by Helen »

rsteele wrote:I've been told, but someone that should know, that there will be a rule change in the not-to-distant future that will prohibit IFR in an S-LSA.
Fortunately, that's just an urban legend. To the contrary, consensus standards are being developed to more officially recognize IFR LSAs.

Helen
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Helen Woods
Chesapeake Sport Pilot
Quality Flight Training, Rentals, and Service
Factory Authorized RV-12 Training and Service Center
http://www.chesapeakesportpilot.com
AZPilot

Post by AZPilot »

Helen wrote:
rsteele wrote:I've been told, but someone that should know, that there will be a rule change in the not-to-distant future that will prohibit IFR in an S-LSA.
Fortunately, that's just an urban legend. To the contrary, consensus standards are being developed to more officially recognize IFR LSAs.

Helen
More important is that the insurance industry ultimately buys off on it.

The driving force is that the industry wants to convince the flightschools that having a 100hp "all purpose" aircraft is a good thing, and that $150K+ is a better deal than a new Skyhawk at $300K,or a 4-5 yr old one for $110-125K.

I hope it works out, but the math is tough.
CFIIMEI
frfly172

Post by frfly172 »

Talk at sebring this year is astm is going to prohibit flying light sport imc but offer all light sport for ifr training.
tadel001

Post by tadel001 »

ASTM has had difficulty agreeing on an IFR standard. Therefore, in the time being, a few participants have proposed prohibiting flights into IMC. However, the ultimate decision on whether a LSA can be flown in IFR is up to the FAA via the limitations on the aircraft at the time of certification. IFR LSAs now (planes whose airworthiness certificate says Day/Night IFR or those that don't say "VFR") will continue to be IFR capable. It all depends on what the person asks for when seeking certification. ASTM standards could influence the FAA's future decisions regarding limitations.

I have flown N656DF, the IFR Sierra at our school that is currently for sale. THis plane is more than capable of flying IFR. Check out our website home page for a video of an IFR flight in that plane. www.chesapeakesportpilot.com
frfly172

Post by frfly172 »

the video was good looked like you had light ifr which is perfect for lsa ifr.break out and go .what is the asking price of your aircraft ifr .
tadel001

Post by tadel001 »

The plane is basically new (50 hours). Not used in the flight school. We are simply selling for the owner. Owner is asking $170,000 but I know will take less. He has over $180,000 in it. Extremely well equipped.
KSCessnaDriver

Post by KSCessnaDriver »

Even if they do make a new standard for IFR flight, wouldn't it only apply to newly certificated airplane. Thus, anything that already has a certification would only have the old rules applied to it. So really, its kind of late to do things for planes already conforming to the standards, is it not?
KSCessnaDriver (ATP MEL, Commerical LTA-Airship/SEL, Private SES, CFI/CFII)
LSA's flown: Remos G3, Flight Design CTSW, Aeronca L-16, Jabiru J170
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

The way I understand it the IFR prohibitted is a stop gap to keep the FAA from doing it for us. They are still working on the standards. An old LSA if brought up to the current standards should be OK I would think.
KSCessnaDriver

Post by KSCessnaDriver »

3Dreaming wrote:The way I understand it the IFR prohibitted is a stop gap to keep the FAA from doing it for us. They are still working on the standards. An old LSA if brought up to the current standards should be OK I would think.
What IFR prohibited? There is nothing that specifically prohibits IFR flight currently, unless I missed something. The problem is getting the manufacture to write the manual's to allow for IFR flight.
KSCessnaDriver (ATP MEL, Commerical LTA-Airship/SEL, Private SES, CFI/CFII)
LSA's flown: Remos G3, Flight Design CTSW, Aeronca L-16, Jabiru J170
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

The word coming from the ASTM meetings is that they are going to require a placard for all light sport aircraft to say "Flight in IMC Prohibitted". At present there are no ASTM standards for IFR certification of a light sport aircraft, so the manufactures have no standards to build the aircraft for IFR use. If the ASTM had not done this the FAA most likely would have written a regulation to control this, taking away the ability to file IFR in VMC conditions. By taking this measure it still leaves the chance for ASTM to come up with standards, which I hear will happen. It is just a matter of when. Tom

KSCessnaDriver wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:The way I understand it the IFR prohibitted is a stop gap to keep the FAA from doing it for us. They are still working on the standards. An old LSA if brought up to the current standards should be OK I would think.
What IFR prohibited? There is nothing that specifically prohibits IFR flight currently, unless I missed something. The problem is getting the manufacture to write the manual's to allow for IFR flight.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

I hope the wording is such so as to still allow Special VFR.

IOW, when the visibility in Class D airspace is below 3 miles and or the ceiling is less than 1,000', that might be construed as "IMC", at least for that airspace.

Here's hoping the new regs make things simpler, not more complicated!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]