Metal vs fabric, experimental vs production aircraft

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

SkySteve

KITFOX: New SLSA

Post by SkySteve »

Kitfox has now joined the ranks of the SLSA market with its new SLSA Super Sport. Priced at $84,000.

Steve Wilson
Huntsville, UT
Kitfox
Convertible Nose Wheel & Tail Wheel
912A / Warp Drive Prop
N701RB

Post by N701RB »

Thats a sharp airplane indeed! I think the Kitfox Co. has been around longer that almost any other mfr. I remember seeing Dan Denny with the first prototype on display at the 86' Reno Air Races..
SkySteve

Post by SkySteve »

You are correct. I now own that plane, 85DD. I have converted it to a tri gear & taildragger convertible. I will have it at the 25th Kitfox anniversary fly in on Labor Day this fall.
Steve Wilson
Huntsville, UT
Kitfox
912A / Warp Drive Prop
N701RB

Post by N701RB »

Okay guys. I have my choices narrowed down to either a T-Craft or a Champ. I'll be in position financially by the first of the year. Now the next question. Whats the average rental on a hangar? Anyone know? :?

Randy
Doss79

Post by Doss79 »

Hello,
Was curious why you didn't opt for a Cub? Cub prices are falling. Low 20s can be had.
N701RB

Post by N701RB »

Doss79 wrote:Hello,
Was curious why you didn't opt for a Cub? Cub prices are falling. Low 20s can be had.
I really would rather sit next to my passenger, not behind them! In all fairness, I have been eyeing some J3s..... :wink:
N701RB

Post by N701RB »

Welllll... After some consideration, I have decided to focus on purchasing a pre-owned Kitfox IV. I just don't think that I can quite afford a hangar rental. Most of the built Kitfoxes for sale have folding wings and some of them even include trailers! I can keep it here at home in the shop! :wink:

Question though. Wouldn't I have to jump through some hoops to get it re registred from an experimental to an E-LSA? :?
SkySteve

Post by SkySteve »

No need to. Most Kitfox IV's have a gross weight of 1200# so they can be flown with a sport pilot certification just the way they are. Just make certain it has a ground adjust prop rather than in flight adjustable.
Steve Wilson
Huntsville, UT
Kitfox
912A / Warp Drive Prop
N701RB

Post by N701RB »

Cool! Thanks for the info Steve!
Doss79

Post by Doss79 »

Find a hangar buddy and you can split the costs of a hangar. That's what I do.
N701RB

Post by N701RB »

Thats certainly an option.. Thanks for the suggestion!