Tecnams New LSA for the American Market

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

LightSportFlyer

Tecnams New LSA for the American Market

Post by LightSportFlyer »

I read recently that Tecnam is coming out with a new LSA for the American market.

"Lynn Birmingham, of Tecnam Aircraft, the U.S. agent for Tecnam, reported that Tecnam is developing a new composite and aluminum light-sport aircraft specifically for the American market. It'll have a wider cabin than the current Tecnam aircraft as well as more baggage space and other requests we received from American customers, Birmingham said. "

Does anyone have any specifics on it yet ? I hope it will come with Lycomings new LSA engine, the IO-233, which sounds very impressive. I really like Tecnams new Eaglet but if this one comes with an American made engine it just might be worth waiting for.

Its supposed to be shown at next years Sun and Fun in April '09.
glyn

Post by glyn »

i sell the Tecnam aircraft but the Eaglet is the newest one out thus far. if you look at there website you will see the "lsa" models.
as far as i know, there isn't one. but i could be wrong. im a salesman so that will probably stand true.. lol..

im sure when Lyc gets the weight down on there new lsa engine, it will be more apt to be installed into the lsa's.
www.sportflyers.org

www.ussportplanes.com

if you can't fly right.... fly upside down
Chuckhhill

Post by Chuckhhill »

This may have something to do with Tecnam's recent puchase of an S-LSA manufacturer in Spain, which was apparently purchased for their additional capacity and capability with composites.
Chuck
tadel001

Post by tadel001 »

The old Toxo factory is currently being used to build the Eaglet, which has a very high demand. There is no new design from Tecnam. Not sure if they will look at the Lycoming engine. Lycoming has a little ways to go to prove they can make a light weight durable product. Rotax has a strong track record for its current model.
LightSportFlyer

tadel001 wrote:The old Toxo factory is currently being used to build the Eaglet, which has a very high demand. There is no new design from Tecnam. Not sure if they will look at the Lycoming engine. Lycoming has a little ways to go to prove they can make a light weight durable product. Rotax has a strong track record for its current model.
That conflicts with what Tecnam still has up on their own website news page. Perhaps then the new plane has been cancelled. As of 6/10/08:

"This acquisition comes as the design for a new aircraft is being completed by the Tecnam engineering group. The new plane will build on the existing Tecnam strengths of exceptional flight characteristics, high useful load, design flair and provide additional cabin space. This new aircraft will debut at Friedrichshafen in Europe and at Sun n Fun in the US in 2009. "

http://www.tecnamaircraft.com/tecnam_aircraft_news.htm

As far as using other engines I did read that Tecnam was testing a PPD Gemini 100 hp two stroke diesel in an Eaglet last August. If I had to guess I'd imagine that would be for the European market more so than here. But it shows me they are at least open to other engines than the Rotax, thats why I'm still hoping for the Lycoming.

http://aero-news.net/news/genav.cfm?Con ... &Dynamic=1

I'll be at Sebrings Light Sport Expo in Jan of '09 and try to get the scoop and post what I learn here.
LightSportFlyer

Well Tecnam has finally confirmed their NEW LSA - the P2008, I knew they had one coming out ! Its a high wing design with a composite fuselage, 47" wide cabin, and a gorgeous looking panel - a very sleek and racy looking plane. I believe it can be seen at Sun n Fun.

Now if they'd just offer something else besides the Rotax ! :wink:

http://www.bydanjohnson.com/

http://121five.com/stories_new.aspx?story_id=143