New three year FAA registration for aircraft

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

roger lee

New three year FAA registration for aircraft

Post by roger lee »

Posted from a thread on another site:

This new 3 year registration is for all aircraft, not just LSA. It starts this November and is spread out over the next three years and then it will continue to re-cycle. It goes by months for when you registered the first time and the year you did it has nothing to do with anything. I have already seen one letter. You should get a letter in the mail from the FAA when you are do provided you didn't lie to them to start with about who and where your plane was registered. If you know your aircraft registration is not correct get it done and the sooner the better. The letter said do nothing if the info was correct in that letter. If it is wrong you must send the corrected info back to the FAA. If you fail to do this you will have your registration canceled and eventually loose your "N" number. There is a grace period in the letter, do not let it expire!
There is a cost which has not been fully settled on yet. Some where between $45 and up from what I hear.

It may take up to 90 days for the FAA to process your registration so if you procrastinate and wait until the last few weeks your grounded until it comes back. They are notifying pilots almost 5-6 months in advance so no one has a complaint about not having enough time.

My registration was issued in Dec. It will expire June 30, 2013 and I am required to re-register between Feb-April of 2013.

A reminder -
that this new FAA Aircraft RE-REGISTRATION THING starts as early as this November 1st (2010). Aircraft with a MARCH REGISTRATION DATE (any year) are the FIRST to RE-Register your aircraft. Your aircraft registration will expire on March 31st of 2011, but you can start the process of re-registering as early as this November 1st (2010).
The data base needs a complete update US wide and this is the way it is being done. Over the next three years all aircraft will be re-registered. It will help get rid of many problems like what happened to the King's.

Here is where you can find the final rule:

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2010/2010-17572.htm

Here is another info link:

http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/ ... wsId=11617

http://ctflier.com/index.php?/topic/162 ... egistered/
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
frfly172

Post by frfly172 »

Dont drink the cool aid Roger Just another revenue enhancment program Lets see if the service is worth the cost.
roger lee

Re-registration

Post by roger lee »

I'm in the same boat as everyone else. It's official so might as well comply and stay legal. If it really helps and makes a difference then maybe it will be worth it. It's truly a wait and see how things pan out.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
frfly172

Post by frfly172 »

seems like a duplication to me I allready pay my state 125 a year to register my old twin.
roger lee

Post by roger lee »

Hi frfly172,

The $125 you pay is to the state, this is the FAA's entire USA data base they are trying to update and get current. It's a mess right now, but they hope to get this up to date.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
AZPilot

Post by AZPilot »

There are a lot of screwed up docs at OKC.

Most of it due to bad liens/releases.

Unfortunately, I doubt that this new iniative will help that out.

Having been in the biz for a long time, I would never buy or sell an AC without the use of a Title/Escrow company.
CFIIMEI
roger lee

Don't let this slide

Post by roger lee »

Hi All,

I called the FAA and talked to ******** of the FAA. He is their top LSA person.
When you get your FAA re-registration letter make sure you take care of it in a timely manner (you have almost 6 months) when it's your turn, do not and I really mean do not let it expire on its posted date. This will be painless and easy for most.
Here is the issue. If it goes past the posted date on the letter you will have your "N" number suspended. Having an "N" number is a requirement to be airworthy. Right now as it stands the FAA will at some point terminate your "N" number if you allow this to happen. They are getting a legal reading on this as we talk. The expiration of the letter may be the same as termination of your "N" number, this is a gray area and legal is looking at it.
Here is the big issue. It will not be simple to get it back. If you came from the fat Ultralight group and became ELSA your are dead in the water forever. You can never get a "N" number again. If you are SLSA like some of us here you will loose your airworthy cert and "N" number and will have to go through the entire process of getting a new registration through FD USA, inspections, new number, ect.... all over again. This will apply to all US aircraft GA and the like. DO NOT LET THIS GO PAST THE LETTER'S DEAD LINE!

It will be the owners responsibility to make sure the FAA has your current info like your address so you will receive your letter. This is in the FAR's now and always has been. Now if you know that you have to re-register within a certain time as posted in all the write ups about this re-registration and don't get a letter then it would be extremely prudent to call them.
I ask and there are no "get out of jail free cards" here. If you allow your time to expire your done.
This process won't be a big deal for the majority of the owners in aviation, but their may be some that procrastinate or loose paperwork and forget. This won't be a time in your life to do either.

Like to comedian says "Get'er Done".
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)