Sling 2 build / Midwest Sky Sports

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

WDD

Re: Sling 2 build / Midwest Sky Sports

Post by WDD »

TimTaylor wrote:Is there a manufacturer and airplane where you can go and stay about a month and build an airplane?
Arion in TN has a builder assist which runs 3 weeks to flyable plane, including paint. Looks like you can pick either experimental or E LSA.

http://www.flylightning.net/builder-assist.html
RV-12builder

Post by RV-12builder »

TimTaylor wrote:Is there a manufacturer and airplane where you can go and stay about a month and build an airplane?
Actually, there are quite a few kit manufacturers that offer this type of program. There are also various independent builder assist centers that will help you build your kit. But do your homework before going down this path—the rules can be confusing. The bottom line is that if a hired gun builds too much of your airplane for you, it won't be legal.
cam737

Post by cam737 »

3Dreaming wrote:
cam737 wrote:49 % E-PWKWTAD-AB

49% Experimental People-Who-Know-What-They-Are-Doing Amateur Built

I'm the 51% diving-in-without-a-clue!

Cam
The airplane will be 100% experimental amateur built, but to achieve that status 51% of the airplane must be built for the purpose of entertainment or education.
3D, I looked into having The Airplane Factory build me a 1540 gross Sling 2 in South Africa, ship it to CA, and register/certify as Experimental Exhibition (EE). TAF USA is doing some Sling 4 aircraft this way. There is a good explanation of EE at the Sonex web site if you dig around. I thought quite a bit about S-LSA vs EAB vs EE. There are some requirements with EE that I decided I did not like...ie some annual paper work with FAA, etc...

TimT...I am in FL, Midwest Sky Sports is in MI. Build will be in their facility. Call Steve at Midwest Sky Sports to discuss.

RV12Builder is correct. (I think!)

This LSA/EAB/EE is confusing...oh, that's right, the massive federal government is involved! I'll try not to get myself started...and don't forget to file your 1040 today!!!!!!! Mine was only 53 pages this year. Yippee.

Cam
cam737
Sling 2 Build
[email protected]

swa
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

I think you can eliminate Experimental Exhibition from consideration.

At least, if you want the freedom to just go flying on a whim, any time and to anywhere you wish.

Check the limitations of that category very carefully before going down that road.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

cam737 wrote: 3D, I looked into having The Airplane Factory build me a 1540 gross Sling 2 in South Africa, ship it to CA, and register/certify as Experimental Exhibition (EE). TAF USA is doing some Sling 4 aircraft this way. There is a good explanation of EE at the Sonex web site if you dig around. I thought quite a bit about S-LSA vs EAB vs EE. There are some requirements with EE that I decided I did not like...ie some annual paper work with FAA, etc...

TimT...I am in FL, Midwest Sky Sports is in MI. Build will be in their facility. Call Steve at Midwest Sky Sports to discuss.

RV12Builder is correct. (I think!)

This LSA/EAB/EE is confusing...oh, that's right, the massive federal government is involved! I'll try not to get myself started...and don't forget to file your 1040 today!!!!!!! Mine was only 53 pages this year. Yippee.

Cam
I agree that EE would not be the way to go, unless there is no other choice. I restored a clipped wing Taylorcraft a few years back. It is registered Experimental Exhibition, and has been since the 1960's. The operating limitations on it are just like an EAB. We needed a replacement airworthiness certificate after the restoration. I had to talk with the FSDO about it to make sure they issued a replacement instead of a new certificate to keep the old operating limitations.
cam737

Post by cam737 »

Fuselage parts are primed and wiring harness complete at Midwest Sky Sports. We had a great visit with Midwest Sky Sports and The Airplane Factory last week at SunNFun.
Attachments
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (128.63 KiB) Viewed 9172 times
Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 4.46.22 PM.jpeg
Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 4.46.22 PM.jpeg (212.78 KiB) Viewed 9172 times
cam737
Sling 2 Build
[email protected]

swa
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

It sounds like.

You are featured front and center on Midwest Sky Sport’s Facebook page :D
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
cam737

Post by cam737 »

Fuselage parts coming together....

Warmi, I hope "featured" doesn't hurt Sling sales!!!!! :) ;)
Attachments
image3 copy.jpg
image3 copy.jpg (117.89 KiB) Viewed 9038 times
cam737
Sling 2 Build
[email protected]

swa
cam737

Post by cam737 »

Coming along.........
Attachments
image2.jpeg
image2.jpeg (97.89 KiB) Viewed 8797 times
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (75.74 KiB) Viewed 8797 times
image3.jpeg
image3.jpeg (111.9 KiB) Viewed 8798 times
cam737
Sling 2 Build
[email protected]

swa
RV-12builder

Post by RV-12builder »

Wow! That kit is going together fast. Looks great!

Mark
cam737

Post by cam737 »

Thanks Mark!
cam737
Sling 2 Build
[email protected]

swa
drseti

Post by drseti »

cam737 wrote: This LSA/EAB/EE is confusing...oh, that's right, the massive federal government is involved!
We're not happy until you are... confused.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Going to Midwest Sky on Monday to have my ADSB installed and some other work - will take a look at your sling-in-making and probably end up salivating a bit ... Sling was my original choice.
cam737

Post by cam737 »

Thanks Warmi! Steve and the boys are great!

Um, if you don't mind, could you knock out a few rivets for me. :P
cam737
Sling 2 Build
[email protected]

swa
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Here is their new Sling 2 demonstrator ... awesome panel - laser etched - imho much better quality than most of the factory stuff in the LSA world.
Attachments
Sling2_2.jpeg
Sling2_2.jpeg (180.42 KiB) Viewed 8242 times
Sling2_1.jpeg
Sling2_1.jpeg (183.15 KiB) Viewed 8242 times