Icon A5... your thoughts and opinions?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Hambone

Icon A5... your thoughts and opinions?

Post by Hambone »

http://www.iconaircraft.com/video-icon- ... erson.html

Now THAT looks like fun!

Thoughts on the A5? The whole operation looks top-notch and very professional. It certainly makes other LSA manufacturers look very Mickey Mouse! But is it all smoke and mirrors, or is there real substance behind the gloss?
Last edited by Hambone on Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ArionAv8or

Post by ArionAv8or »

I don't know too much about the operations but the plane looks like a HOOT. I want to see how it fairs out once deliveries start taking place.
zaitcev

Post by zaitcev »

This is a good illustration what can be done with an LSA when money is no object. However, even if you have the money, I would stop to consider that customer deliveries have not started yet, so we do not know if this aircraft is durable or reliable and if wings are going to fall off like on Zodiac. We don't even know when airplanes are going to get delivered. Considering the upcoming inflation in the U.S., dumping $100k into the future airplane ties you to it pretty strongly. Although the deposit is refundable, by the time you got it refunded, it will be worth half of what it was. And the alternative is to wait, wait, and wait, like the early Eclipse customers. Sounds like something I would want someone else to do.

P.S. Edit: Mitsubishi may have something to say about the logo. I actually thought it was a tripple diamond, because it's upside-down on the tail and even website's favicon.
Helen

Post by Helen »

I have serious a concern about any amphib with a clam shell canopy as an inadvertent gear down water landing is likely to flip and sink the plane with no way to get out. When I spoke with the company reps at OSH last year they had not addressed this problem. The plane is also likely to come in with only 430lbs of useful load which is pretty limiting.

That being said, I give them great kudos for their marketing. I think they probably have the best marketing of any LSA manufacturer out there, and that without even having a plane to sell! They really have done a lot to energize the public about flying light aircraft. That is good for all of us.

Helen
SportCubJim

A5

Post by SportCubJim »

I would love an A5. However, I am worried the weight may not allow enough range.
Jim
RyanShort1

Post by RyanShort1 »

I have a probable LSA customer who has a deposit down on an Icon. I hope they get it flying and to customers soon, because I think it looks like a really fun plane.

Ryan
Independent Flight Instructor at http://www.TexasTailwheel.com. Come fly tailwheel LSA's.
EppyGA

Post by EppyGA »

Lots of glitzy marketing and not much substance. I don't believe they'll be in business much longer.
Randy Epstein
RyanShort1

Post by RyanShort1 »

EppyGA wrote:Lots of glitzy marketing and not much substance. I don't believe they'll be in business much longer.
A friend of mine know some of the guys behind this. I think they just overshot a little too far with the technology side of things and tried to incorporate a few too many things. It's a great concept, but they are just a little too heavy, from what I understand, and in order to keep it under the weight limits, something may have to go.

Ryan
Independent Flight Instructor at http://www.TexasTailwheel.com. Come fly tailwheel LSA's.
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

I'm all for anything that will maintain the pilot population, but I just don't get it.

People that like coke rather than beer drink peach wine coolers.
People that like boats better than planes like the A5.

OK, so that's a way too broad generalization, but I think the point is valid. The A5 is trying to look like something it isn't - a jet ski.

There is no accounting for taste.

Ron
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

I wish them all the best luck with a very cute design.

I think that if Flight Design had their marketing department and funding, FD would be selling 3x the planes they are now selling.

As to the plane itself, I think there is a lot to be concerned with. Weight, keeping the pusher engine cool, stall speed and crash survivability. In the video it looks like he came real close to hooking a wingtip as he banked off the surface.
Targetbuster

Post by Targetbuster »

I love these amphibs but me thinks they would be dangerous for the beginner. I'm not rated in seaplanes but I suspect this little tyke would be full of potential pilot induced errors.
Sport Pilot
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

On reflection, I can see some serious potential issues with the A5.

I'm surprised that the CEO (an ex-fighter pilot with low-flying experience) published the linked video. It encourages the potential buyer (the targeted 'Beautiful People' BMW/Apple/speedboat/jetski/wine & cheese crowd) to fly in an aggressive and dangerous manner. (It DOES look fun, though... but with the proper training and skill set.)

If the A5 ever does make it to production, I can see insurance being one of many problems.
tadel001

Post by tadel001 »

I think the plane is pretty cool! I hope it works and other manufacturers take notice. The interior is awesome. They took a page from the car industry. Too many planes are designed with only aerodynamics in mind and not style. I think more style would be a good thing.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Targetbuster wrote:I'm not rated in seaplanes
As I read the FARs, you don't have to be to fly an amphib LSA. All you need is an instructor checkout and logbook endorsement. (Any amphib other than an LSA does require a seaplane rating.)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Targetbuster

Post by Targetbuster »

drseti wrote:
Targetbuster wrote:I'm not rated in seaplanes
As I read the FARs, you don't have to be to fly an amphib LSA. All you need is an instructor checkout and logbook endorsement. (Any amphib other than an LSA does require a seaplane rating.)
I'm sure that must be correct. I haven't investigated it at all. I presumed that there was a written and checkride associated with it as the Practical Test Standards all seem to address the seaplane as a seperate rating. But to tell you the truth, there are many bad circumstances I can envision with the newbie seaplane pilot in a hull designed aircraft. I'd want a considerable amount of time with a competent instructor before I ever took one out by my lonesome.
Having said all that.....They DO look COOL!! :)
Sport Pilot