Vaccinations

Here's the place to ask all of your medical questions. But don't believe everything you read!

Moderator: drseti

JJ Campbell

Vaccinations

Post by JJ Campbell »

The FAA says:
"To maintain the highest level of safety in the National Airspace System, the agency will require pilots with medical certifications or air traffic controllers with medical clearances to observe a period of 48 hours following the administration of each dose of this vaccine before conducting safety-sensitive aviation duties, such as flying or controlling air traffic."

So should a Sport Pilot - Driver's License no medical follow the same rule or wait an hour and go flying?
Sport Pilot ASEL
Tecnam P92 Eaglet
chicagorandy

Re: Vaccinations

Post by chicagorandy »

As I understand the situation, the few people who could have a serious adverse reaction to these new vaccines will experience the serious issues within a day or two after they receive it? Some very quickly indeed.

As a broad statement, most Sport Pilots do not NEED to fly and do so as a recreation. I don't see much of a downside to following the FAA's instructions? While no one has a definitive answer about these brand new medicines nor any multi-year experience with them, erring on the side of caution does seem prudent to me.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
drseti

Post by drseti »

chicagorandy wrote:erring on the side of caution does seem prudent to me.
As it does in all things aviation!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

JJ Campbell wrote:The FAA says:
"To maintain the highest level of safety in the National Airspace System, the agency will require pilots with medical certifications or air traffic controllers with medical clearances to observe a period of 48 hours following the administration of each dose of this vaccine before conducting safety-sensitive aviation duties, such as flying or controlling air traffic."

So should a Sport Pilot - Driver's License no medical follow the same rule or wait an hour and go flying?
I would say it is up to you .. the same self preservation instinct that has been guiding you all the way up till now should tell you what to do much more reliably than any regulation or official will ..
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
Type47

Post by Type47 »

My rule of thumb as a sport pilot is:
I look at my drivers license.
If I feel better than I look in the picture, I fly.
If I feel worse than I look in the photo, I don’t.
Type47
LSRI
INTJ
2006 Tecnam P92 Echo Super
Don’t do the thing that almost killed you until you at least get the staples taken out of your head first….
fatsportpilot

Post by fatsportpilot »

I don't think you will be feeling fine 35 hours after vaccination and start flying on on the 36th you get such a sudden bad reaction that you can't land in time and crash. If you feel sick then don't fly. If you're flying and you start feeling sick then land.