Tips for selecting an AME in my area? (Minneapolis)

Here's the place to ask all of your medical questions. But don't believe everything you read!

Moderator: drseti

3Dreaming
Posts: 2577
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:13 pm
Location: noble, IL USA

Re: Tips for selecting an AME in my area? (Minneapolis)

Postby 3Dreaming » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:59 am

TimTaylor wrote:There is no reason to ever get another FAA medical unless you get a second class to go for a Commercial certificate. In two years, switch to Basic Med.


No need to get a second class medical unless you want to exercise commercial pilot privileges. You can do the training and checkride using BasicMed.

3Dreaming
Posts: 2577
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:13 pm
Location: noble, IL USA

Re: Tips for selecting an AME in my area? (Minneapolis)

Postby 3Dreaming » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:02 am

vespadaddy wrote: Anyway, now I'm good for 2 years, and then will need to decide if I want to see the AME again, or go basic med.


If you are over 40, it is less expensive to do BasicMed instead of the third class physicals. If you are under 40 the third class physical is the way to go.

TimTaylor
Posts: 1346
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:17 pm

Re: Tips for selecting an AME in my area? (Minneapolis)

Postby TimTaylor » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:20 am

3Dreaming wrote:
vespadaddy wrote: Anyway, now I'm good for 2 years, and then will need to decide if I want to see the AME again, or go basic med.


If you are over 40, it is less expensive to do BasicMed instead of the third class physicals. If you are under 40 the third class physical is the way to go.

I would never advise anyone to get an FAA physical unless they needed to. Why take the risk of failing and getting grounded for life? Unknown health issues can show up at any age. If you do it as part of your normal health screening, there is a good chance your insurance will cover it, depending on your policy. I think most people have a physical more often than every four years, so there is no added cost at all.
Commercial Pilot Airplane Single & Multiengine Land; Instrument Airplane
Sport Endorsement Airplane Single Engine Sea
Flight Instructor Airplane Single & Multiengine
Ground Instructor Advanced Instrument
BS Engineering NC State
MBA Wisconsin

3Dreaming
Posts: 2577
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:13 pm
Location: noble, IL USA

Re: Tips for selecting an AME in my area? (Minneapolis)

Postby 3Dreaming » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:22 pm

TimTaylor wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:
vespadaddy wrote: Anyway, now I'm good for 2 years, and then will need to decide if I want to see the AME again, or go basic med.


If you are over 40, it is less expensive to do BasicMed instead of the third class physicals. If you are under 40 the third class physical is the way to go.

I would never advise anyone to get an FAA physical unless they needed to. Why take the risk of failing and getting grounded for life? Unknown health issues can show up at any age. If you do it as part of your normal health screening, there is a good chance your insurance will cover it, depending on your policy. I think most people have a physical more often than every four years, so there is no added cost at all.


I would be surprised if men in the 50 and under age group, unless they have a known medical condition, get a physical on any sort of regular basis, unless it is required for some reason (flight, DOT, work, or sports). And more so for the 40 and under group. I think women do a better job of getting regular physicals.

Our local AME put together a safety seminar presentation on BasicMed. It was his opinion that for the 40 and under group the getting a FAA medical was a better choice.

Our AME practices in a clinic, but does flight physicals and BasicMed exams as an individual at the end of office hours. It is not coded or billed in a way that it can be turned into insurance. If you have an AME that can code it for insurance billing that is great, but I am not sure that is the norm.

TimTaylor
Posts: 1346
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:17 pm

Re: Tips for selecting an AME in my area? (Minneapolis)

Postby TimTaylor » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:32 pm

I did not say an FAA medical is covered by insurance. I said Basic Med can be covered by insurance in many or most cases. It's just a physical with your doctor. Everyone should have an annual physical. You're a fool if you don't. Now that we have Basic Med, it would be foolish to get an FAA physical if not needed. I would NEVER advise someone to do that. There is no logical reason to do so.
Commercial Pilot Airplane Single & Multiengine Land; Instrument Airplane
Sport Endorsement Airplane Single Engine Sea
Flight Instructor Airplane Single & Multiengine
Ground Instructor Advanced Instrument
BS Engineering NC State
MBA Wisconsin

User avatar
drseti
Posts: 6221
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:42 pm
Location: Lock Haven PA
Contact:

Re: Tips for selecting an AME in my area? (Minneapolis)

Postby drseti » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:23 pm

3Dreaming wrote: It was his opinion that for the 40 and under group the getting a FAA medical was a better choice.


So, an AME recommends going to an AME? What a surprise!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
fly@AvSport.org
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US

3Dreaming
Posts: 2577
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:13 pm
Location: noble, IL USA

Re: Tips for selecting an AME in my area? (Minneapolis)

Postby 3Dreaming » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:06 pm

drseti wrote:
3Dreaming wrote: It was his opinion that for the 40 and under group the getting a FAA medical was a better choice.


So, an AME recommends going to an AME? What a surprise!


Yep, especially if it is going to save the pilot money. Assuming the exams are the same price, a person under the age of 40 can save 20% by getting a FAA 3rd class medical every 5 years instead of a BasicMed exam every 4 years.

TimTaylor
Posts: 1346
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:17 pm

Re: Tips for selecting an AME in my area? (Minneapolis)

Postby TimTaylor » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:13 pm

3Dreaming wrote:
drseti wrote:
3Dreaming wrote: It was his opinion that for the 40 and under group the getting a FAA medical was a better choice.


So, an AME recommends going to an AME? What a surprise!


Yep, especially if it is going to save the pilot money. Assuming the exams are the same price, a person under the age of 40 can save 20% by getting a FAA 3rd class medical every 5 years instead of a BasicMed exam every 4 years.


I would never advise someone to risk losing their flying privileges to save 20 percent, especially when their basic med exam should be covered by their insurance policy. I have gotten annual physicals for 49 years and never paid for any of them. It's just too bad I don't qualify for basic med. Bummer.
Commercial Pilot Airplane Single & Multiengine Land; Instrument Airplane
Sport Endorsement Airplane Single Engine Sea
Flight Instructor Airplane Single & Multiengine
Ground Instructor Advanced Instrument
BS Engineering NC State
MBA Wisconsin

3Dreaming
Posts: 2577
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:13 pm
Location: noble, IL USA

Re: Tips for selecting an AME in my area? (Minneapolis)

Postby 3Dreaming » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:53 pm

TimTaylor wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:
drseti wrote:
So, an AME recommends going to an AME? What a surprise!


Yep, especially if it is going to save the pilot money. Assuming the exams are the same price, a person under the age of 40 can save 20% by getting a FAA 3rd class medical every 5 years instead of a BasicMed exam every 4 years.


I would never advise someone to risk losing their flying privileges to save 20 percent, especially when their basic med exam should be covered by their insurance policy. I have gotten annual physicals for 49 years and never paid for any of them. It's just too bad I don't qualify for basic med. Bummer.


I am not sure who you think is advising someone to risk losing pilot privileges.

TimTaylor
Posts: 1346
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:17 pm

Re: Tips for selecting an AME in my area? (Minneapolis)

Postby TimTaylor » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:08 pm

3Dreaming wrote:
TimTaylor wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:
Yep, especially if it is going to save the pilot money. Assuming the exams are the same price, a person under the age of 40 can save 20% by getting a FAA 3rd class medical every 5 years instead of a BasicMed exam every 4 years.


I would never advise someone to risk losing their flying privileges to save 20 percent, especially when their basic med exam should be covered by their insurance policy. I have gotten annual physicals for 49 years and never paid for any of them. It's just too bad I don't qualify for basic med. Bummer.


I am not sure who you think is advising someone to risk losing pilot privileges.


Most people understand that every time you have an FAA physical you risk the diagnosis of a disqualifying medical condition. Some can be resolved via a special issue and some can't. Some of those would not necessarily make you an unsafe pilot for basic med or LSA, but would ground you for life.

Furthermore, to suggest someone who does not have an annual physical to find and resolve issues should get an FAA flight physical every 5 years is totally ludicrous. If you must have an FAA physical, then at least get an annual physical to avoid any surprises.

And, we're not talking about some sort of pre-physical, we're talking about an "on-the-record" FAA flight physical as the OP had and pondered what he should do in two years.
Commercial Pilot Airplane Single & Multiengine Land; Instrument Airplane
Sport Endorsement Airplane Single Engine Sea
Flight Instructor Airplane Single & Multiengine
Ground Instructor Advanced Instrument
BS Engineering NC State
MBA Wisconsin

TimTaylor
Posts: 1346
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:17 pm

Re: Tips for selecting an AME in my area? (Minneapolis)

Postby TimTaylor » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:17 pm

vespadaddy wrote:Well, all is well that ends well.

I completed the MedXpress form, got my secret number, took a photo of it with my phone, printed the form, and went in.

I breezed through the exam, and was relieved when the Dr. told me I was approved for 3rd class, no restrictions. I went up to the counter to pay and supply the receptionist with the secret number, but she had already logged me in, as the number is on the bottom of the MedXpress printout! D'oh!

Anyway, now I'm good for 2 years, and then will need to decide if I want to see the AME again, or go basic med.

The AME was Dr. Philip Sidell, in Edina, MN. There was a Delta employee finishing up her payment paperwork when I arrived. I get the impression a lot of the airline pilots see this guy. I was nervous, but it all worked out. PPL here I come.
Commercial Pilot Airplane Single & Multiengine Land; Instrument Airplane
Sport Endorsement Airplane Single Engine Sea
Flight Instructor Airplane Single & Multiengine
Ground Instructor Advanced Instrument
BS Engineering NC State
MBA Wisconsin

TimTaylor
Posts: 1346
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:17 pm

Re: Tips for selecting an AME in my area? (Minneapolis)

Postby TimTaylor » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:39 pm

3Dreaming wrote:
TimTaylor wrote:There is no reason to ever get another FAA medical unless you get a second class to go for a Commercial certificate. In two years, switch to Basic Med.


No need to get a second class medical unless you want to exercise commercial pilot privileges. You can do the training and checkride using BasicMed.

Of course :roll:
Commercial Pilot Airplane Single & Multiengine Land; Instrument Airplane
Sport Endorsement Airplane Single Engine Sea
Flight Instructor Airplane Single & Multiengine
Ground Instructor Advanced Instrument
BS Engineering NC State
MBA Wisconsin

TimTaylor
Posts: 1346
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:17 pm

Re: Tips for selecting an AME in my area? (Minneapolis)

Postby TimTaylor » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:59 pm

Vespadaddy, I recommend you go basic med in 2 years. See if your primary care physician will do this as part of your normal physical so it will be covered by your insurance.
Commercial Pilot Airplane Single & Multiengine Land; Instrument Airplane
Sport Endorsement Airplane Single Engine Sea
Flight Instructor Airplane Single & Multiengine
Ground Instructor Advanced Instrument
BS Engineering NC State
MBA Wisconsin

3Dreaming
Posts: 2577
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:13 pm
Location: noble, IL USA

Re: Tips for selecting an AME in my area? (Minneapolis)

Postby 3Dreaming » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:12 pm

TimTaylor wrote: And, we're not talking about some sort of pre-physical, we're talking about an "on-the-record" FAA flight physical as the OP had and pondered what he should do in two years.


For the OP since he is obviously over 40 since his medical expires in 2 years, I would absolutely recommend BasicMed. The only reason not to would be if there is some other reason that requires he get a FAA medical.

TimTaylor
Posts: 1346
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:17 pm

Re: Tips for selecting an AME in my area? (Minneapolis)

Postby TimTaylor » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:27 pm

3Dreaming wrote:
TimTaylor wrote: And, we're not talking about some sort of pre-physical, we're talking about an "on-the-record" FAA flight physical as the OP had and pondered what he should do in two years.


For the OP since he is obviously over 40 since his medical expires in 2 years, I would absolutely recommend BasicMed. The only reason not to would be if there is some other reason that requires he get a FAA medical.


And I would recommend basic med for anyone who qualifies at any age who does not require an FAA 3rd class physical for the reasons I posted. And I'm not talking about Sport Pilots, or people exercising Sport Pilot privileges or people flying balloons, gliders, parachutes, or radio controlled aircraft.
Commercial Pilot Airplane Single & Multiengine Land; Instrument Airplane
Sport Endorsement Airplane Single Engine Sea
Flight Instructor Airplane Single & Multiengine
Ground Instructor Advanced Instrument
BS Engineering NC State
MBA Wisconsin


Return to “Medical Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests