Basic Med gray area

Here's the place to ask all of your medical questions. But don't believe everything you read!

Moderator: drseti

Merlinspop

Re: Basic Med gray area

Post by Merlinspop »

Yeah, I know, Shawn. I’d say it’s been a huge headache, but that’d be a red flag from one of the events (hint, if you wreck a motorcycle, do try not to land on your head and take a nap on the roadside)! And since I’m now “all in” on the process, failure also slams the Sport Pilot door.
- Bruce
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Merlinspop wrote:Yeah, I know, Shawn. I’d say it’s been a huge headache, but that’d be a red flag from one of the events (hint, if you wreck a motorcycle, do try not to land on your head and take a nap on the roadside)! And since I’m now “all in” on the process, failure also slams the Sport Pilot door.
It certainly sounds like you don’t need any more red flags. :mrgreen: (hint, motorcycles are dangerous) I had no idea failure would close the door all together, including SP. That’s a sad thought for sure. Reading stories of what some people have to do just to keep flying makes me more aware of my health and a reason to stay healthy.

People are sometimes asked what’s your most valuable asset, the ONLY answer should be “my health”. Without it, nothing else matters.

Take care of yourself and again good luck with everything. Please keep us posted.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

It's always been very clear, if you fail your FAA medical exam or have your medical certificate revoked, you are grounded except for ultralight or glider. That's the obvious reason many people forgo the FAA medical altogether and fly LSA (FAR 61.23(c)(2)(ii) and (iii).

As someone who knows, your health is not the most important thing. Having people you love and who love you is more important. Nobody is going to live forever. Also, living a life of honor, character, and honesty, something that seems to be "out of style" right now.
Last edited by TimTaylor on Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired from flying.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

TimTaylor wrote:As someone who knows, your health is not the most important thing. Having people you love and who love you is more important.
Yes Tim those "things" are important but I'm talking "assets". It's not your house, car, portfolio or your plane, it's your health. Without good health you are sacrificing days and even years of your life to enjoy the things you love and spending time with those you love and those who love you. Look at the big picture here. In fact, most take it for granted and neglect it when it needs everyday attention.

No one's talking about living forever but dont you want to maximize that time with loved ones?

Being healthy is a prerequisite for a meaningful life. We cannot be productive or contribute to the world, we cannot be there for our loved ones and we cannot have fulfilling experiences if we are burdened by illness and/or disease.

How many people say "I wish I had more time?" The only thing that can get you that time is your health.

I should know better by know than to engage you in conversation but my point is if you dont take care of yourself and maintain good health you won't be around to enjoy those loved ones, will you?
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Well ...there is the common definition of good health and then there is the FAAs definition - can be two different things but yeah, without good health nothing else really matters :D

And to celebrate my (limited) time on this planet, what's better than an early morning flight along the lake culminating with a successful "fuel run" at KPPO ( Swift UL 94 for $4.1 )
flight.jpg
flight.jpg (105.07 KiB) Viewed 15292 times
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I disagree, and I know. There are things more important than good health. That's not to say you shouldn't take care of yourself, but not everything is within our control. I do agree your health is more important that money and stuff. That's why I am a minimalist.
Retired from flying.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Looks like a great flight Warmi, thanks for posting. I’ll bet is beautiful up along the lake. Sort of like flying the gulf coast here in Florida. Always a fun flight for me anyway.

We can get Swift fuel in Sebring also. :mrgreen:
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

Required tests complete and results shipped up to NY. Now to see if this is good enough to give me a SI or if they’ll want more tests.
I expect to hear something back any month now. :|
- Bruce
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Good luck. I hope you get approved.
Retired from flying.
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

Thanks. There’s some things I’d like to do with my wife and sons that exceed the abilities of current LSA.
- Bruce
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Merlinspop wrote:Thanks. There’s some things I’d like to do with my wife and sons that exceed the abilities of current LSA.
... a few Cuban Eights perhaps ? :D
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Merlinspop wrote:Thanks. There’s some things I’d like to do with my wife and sons that exceed the abilities of current LSA.
Like fly with all of them at the same time.
Retired from flying.
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

TimTaylor wrote:
Like fly with all of them at the same time.
That’s a big part.
- Bruce
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

...at night and/or IFR. That pretty much covers the limitations.
Retired from flying.
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

Tucked away in my flight bag is a brand new, freshly signed Third Class Medical. The words”Special Issuance” does not appear anywhere on the document or letter accompanying it. :D
- Bruce