The "Charade" of BasicMed

Here's the place to ask all of your medical questions. But don't believe everything you read!

Moderator: drseti

MrMorden

Re: The "Charade" of BasicMed

Post by MrMorden »

Merlinspop wrote:To be honest, I'm okay with how it was written and how it came about. My last medical was issued about 12 or so years ago, so it's not like I missed out by only a few days (it must sting for the unlucky few who were out by a day!). The reason I'm okay with it is that the legislation came about the way legislation is supposed to; by compromise. Group 1 wanted ABCD; Group 2 wanted WXYZ. The final bill turned out to be AXCZ. No one got everything they wanted, but something (hopefully) useful came out of it. I would have benefited greatly without the "within the last 10 years" bit (was really hoping for "never been denied"), but oh well, that's not how it ended up. I'm really tired of the "all or nothing" stance that's been going on for too long with no end in sight. I blame the internet and 24 hour cable.
That's a good point Bruce!

I don't want to be labeled as a "hater", as I said the only element I don't like is the arbitrary ten year timeline. I guess that gives us something to work on for the next bill! I've been having a blast as a Sport Pilot, so if it never happens I'm okay with it.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Those of us flying Light Sport aircraft with only a driver's license could fly to age 100+ and never see another doctor for the rest of our lives. Those flying under Basic Med will have a pretty thorough physical examination by a licensed MD every 4 years. I believe that could be a very significant medical difference. I also believe Basic Med will prove to be as good or better than the FAA 3rd class medical for weeding out medically unsafe pilots. The good news for some of them is they can downgrade to Light Sport as long as they meet the Sport Pilot medical requirements. Face it, it's much easier to fly light sport, daytime, VFR than twin-engine, night, IFR. The 10 year rule is somewhat arbitrary, but very reasonable. Nobody wants you flying heavier, more complex aircraft without the FAA having one look at you in the somewhat recent past. I don't like it, but I think it's reasonable.
Retired from flying.
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Finally got around to getting my Basic Med. My family doctor was more than willing to do the examination as part of my annual physical. Also remarked that this was much more thorough than the FAA's 2nd class (of which he was familiar). Total free with my insurance!

Probably the only change will be to legally fly over the top on a rare occasion and fly a little later when the days get shorter. 10K feet doesn't come into play often for me.
dave
Mark Gregor

Post by Mark Gregor »

Awesome news!

Mark
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

In an October 5, 2017 news release by AOPA Communications Staff, the staff noted that in the five months since May 1st, more than 20,000 pilots have completed the BasicMed checklist, examination, and AOPA Medical Self-Assessment online course, and are now flying under the new rule.

"Charade" indeed. :roll:

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all ... d-climbing
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

The only thing that could have been better is no "ten year look back." That's what screwed me ... by 45 days.
Retired from flying.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

TimTaylor wrote:The only thing that could have been better is no "ten year look back." That's what screwed me ... by 45 days.
My only gripe as well.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

I've gotta agree. ^^

The ten year lookback from the day the president signed the bill is arbitrary in that if the congress critters had gotten their act together and sent the bill to the prez for his signature a couple of months earlier, Tim would be flying a Mooney.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
drseti

Post by drseti »

No matter when Congress acted, there would have been some folks left out on the cold. Sad reality, but that's how it is. We're lucky there was any look back interval at all. They could just as easily have made Basic Med available only to those whose medical was still current at the time of signing.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Scooper wrote:I've gotta agree. ^^

The ten year lookback from the day the president signed the bill is arbitrary in that if the congress critters had gotten their act together and sent the bill to the prez for his signature a couple of months earlier, Tim would be flying a Mooney.
Just bad luck on my part. You win some, you lose some. I lost this one, but still love flying the SkyCatcher.
Retired from flying.