C.O.P.D. Chronic Obstructive Pulminarry Disease

Here's the place to ask all of your medical questions. But don't believe everything you read!

Moderator: drseti

pjdavis

C.O.P.D. Chronic Obstructive Pulminarry Disease

Postby pjdavis » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:26 am

Hi,

I have been diagnosed with C.O.P.D. - I am only stage 1 and have been so for the past 3 years. There has been no progression, I don't use an inhaler and am not on any meds for it. I cannot really find anything definitive concerning the FAA - Medical.

Any thoughts?

PJ

pjdavis

Re: C.O.P.D. Chronic Obstructive Pulminarry Disease

Postby pjdavis » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:06 pm

Thanks! I phrased that question wrong. After I complete my sport pilot - I would like to look into PPL. If my condition reaches the point that I would that it effects my abilities - yes I would know it was time to hang it up. I began in PPL - did not immediately go for Med as I was on a FAA approved med - but the AOPA told me that the FAA would put me through the ringer for approval. It was an anti anxiety drug - from my divorce days - so with my doctors approval we began the withdraw process - 60 days. Then I heard C.O.P.D. might be a problem. I did not want to take chances so I was retested by my pulmonary doc was OK. But still what the FAA says is the question. So once I complete SP - I want to look into it.

dstclair

Postby dstclair » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:28 pm

You might have already seen: https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/he ... sses/copd/

Basically, you'll need an SI for the first exam then it is possible for your local AME to renew thereafter.
dave

pjdavis

Postby pjdavis » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:47 pm

Thanks guys,

I just spoke with the AOPA - pilot protection services. Their answer matches the link Dave added in. I may be OK - I have my chart at home and I think I am way above 70%. So I will chart when I get home.

pjdavis

Postby pjdavis » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:37 am

As a follow up to my original post - I was at the Light Sport Expo in Sebring this week. Med exams were being offered on site. I was allowed to have the physical done before I set up a med-express account. I passed - set up the account and now have a 3rd class medical!

PJ

pjdavis

Postby pjdavis » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:34 pm

I brought the results of my last check up with the pulmonologist - and he said it was fine. i.e. not a factor at this point.

Return to “Medical Issues”