Sunglasses

Here's the place to ask all of your medical questions. But don't believe everything you read!

Moderator: drseti

HAPPYDAN

Sunglasses

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Here's a nice doc from the FAA regarding sunglasses:

http://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/pilots ... lasses.pdf
TenSeven

Re: Sunglasses

Post by TenSeven »

Stopped by the local airport pilot shop. They only sell and recommend three brands, AO, Ray-Ban and Randolph Engineering.

They seem to feel that all of them make great lenses, that AO is a less expensive version of Ray-Ban and that Randolph is a sturdier version of Ray-Ban.

Anybody using Randolph Engineering sunglasses?

http://www.randolphusa.com
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

I read the same article. I had a set of Costa Del Mar's I was using, but I could never see the radio/transponder on the plane I'm training in because of the angle and the polarization. It was great for fishing, horrible for flight training! So I went looking: ended up with a pair of AO's in black, glass lenses and bayonet temples, bought them off Amazon. Other than my wife saying I look like I stepped off the set of "Top-Gun" in the 1980's I like them so far. I know Oakley has a few options without polarization, if your into the wraparound sporty look.
Ed
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

eyeflygps wrote:I bought a pair of non-polarized progressive lens Ray-Ban's from glasses.com
That sounds like a direction I need to go. Thanks!
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

You lucky birds with perfect vision can skip this lead. I found a site that sells clip-on, flip-up, non-polarized sunglasses. YAY! I ordered a pair and will follow-up once in. For you unlucky dudes saddled with nerdy multiple prescription glasses (like me) this may be a viable solution to those bright sunny days and planes with glass cockpits.

https://sunglassrage.com/collections/flip-up-clip-ons
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

No perfect vision, so Walmart flipups work for me:

Not sure if they're polarized or not - if they are, it's not noticable in the planes I fly.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

I fly a Cessna Skycatcher, all glass panel Garmin 300. I have tried polarized flip-ups and parts of the screen disappear if the light hits it just right. They work OK with steam gauges, I'm told.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Perhaps on reason polarization doesn't affect me is that I normally adjust the flipups so they don't obscure the panel, but just my view out the windshield.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

FastEddieB wrote:No perfect vision,
That's OK, Eddie, just as long as your vision is good enough to see (and appreciate) that beautiful woman sitting behind you.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

drseti wrote:
FastEddieB wrote:No perfect vision,
That's OK, Eddie, just as long as your vision is good enough to see (and appreciate) that beautiful woman sitting behind you.
If you know Karen, flattery will get you everywhere! :wink:
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

I just hope it gets YOU everywhere, Eddie. I have my own beautiful woman to flatter.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MackAttack

Post by MackAttack »

I use a pair of non-polarized Dual AV1 bifocal sunglasses - they work great with my Garmin avionics and outside the cockpit too. $99 at Sportys but I'm sure you can find them a bit cheaper.

Cheers
914Driver

Post by 914Driver »

Not much to add except racing a sailboat for years, I learned that brown color glasses cut glare better than any other color.

Dan
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

MackAttack wrote:I use a pair of non-polarized Dual AV1 bifocal sunglasses - they work great with my Garmin avionics and outside the cockpit too. $99 at Sportys but I'm sure you can find them a bit cheaper.

Cheers
And the readers work great, unless I also have myopia,amblyopia, presbyopia, and astigmatism which I do. I tried contacts without much success.