Senate passes pilot bill of rights 2

Here's the place to ask all of your medical questions. But don't believe everything you read!

Moderator: drseti

Merlinspop

Re: Senate passes pilot bill of rights 2

Post by Merlinspop »

eyeflygps wrote:Just thinking out loud about what the PBORII will really mean...

Most people who already own their own LSA will probably keep them and fly them and not look back. Of course, a few will sell and move back to larger aircraft and IFR flight, etc.

People who are renting and flying LSA just because they want to will continue to do so.

People, like me, who are outside the 10 year window, of course the PBORII means nothing. We will continue to rent or own and fly LSA and be thankful we can still fly something.

People who fall within the 10 year window and are flying LSA because they don't want to risk going for another 3rd class medical and are renters, many will move back to larger aircraft as renters or owners. I have no idea how many this is, but wouldn't be surprised if 50 percent went back to larger aircraft.

That leaves people who fall within the 10 year window and have quit flying because they didn't want to fool with LSA. Many of these people probably still own their old Cessnas, Pipers, and Mooneys. I would think most owners will get back in the air. Maybe 50 percent of renters will get back in the air and the others have already moved on to other pursuits.

So, bottom line, I think rentals of LSA will go down somewhat. Sales of new LSA to individuals will probably not be significantly affected. Sales of LSA (new or used) to FBO's will probably go down. Sales and rentals of larger used aircraft, and prices, will probably go up.

We shall see.
Interesting analysis. Time will tell, but I bet you're close.

I'm in the outside of the 10 year window group as you are. Continued frustration over rental LSA availability may drive me to trying for a medical and let the chips fall where they may. I'm not going to drive 2 hours each way to rent the closest LSA (which take 4 hours away from my kids and weekend home chores), so for me in my current situation, that's essentially a grounding anyway. If it get the medical(which is very probable, but I like odds to be closer to 100%), then there's several 172s/cherokee 140/160/180s etc out there to rent (or buy). That's all I'd really need for the majority of my flying anyway.
- Bruce
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

I'm fine with doing flight training to be a sport pilot someday still. It's just there are so few flight schools with LSAs in the U.S. that is making the private pilot certificate more appealing for me (but I don't think I would be able to pass a 3rd class medical anyway so sport pilot and glider are my only options).

Maybe Congress should pass law to make more flight schools in the U.S. include the sport pilot flight training curriculum with LSAs for rent. Not every flight school though, but most enough to have a reasonable coverage in every U.S. state. We have to make Sport Pilot training more accessible for everyone who wants to become a sport pilot. I don't know why sport pilot training is still sparse in the U.S. even 12 years later after creation of the sport pilot regulations.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Not Congress, but rather Cessna tried the stick instead of the carrot, by requiring every Cessna Pilot Center to purchase a Skycatcher to stay affiliated. So they sold 1000 right off the bat, and then their sales plummeted to the point that they ended production. What's more, most of the Cessna Flight Centers had no desire to offer Sport Pilot, and used their 162s only for discovery flights and rental to already licensed Sport Pilots. Sadly, many sold theirs as soon as the product was discontinued, so now it's hard to find one to rent. No, mandates just don't work.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:Not Congress, but rather Cessna tried the stick instead of the carrot, by requiring every Cessna Pilot Center to purchase a Skycatcher to stay affiliated. So they sold 1000 right off the bat, and then their sales plummeted to the point that they ended production. What's more, most of the Cessna Flight Centers had no desire to offer Sport Pilot, and used their 162s only for discovery flights and rental to already licensed Sport Pilots. Sadly, many sold theirs as soon as the product was discontinued, so now it's hard to find one to rent. No, mandates just don't work.
That is not quite the way I heard it for Cessna. The way I understood it a dealer had to buy one airplane per year, or have an airplane on order. Most of the dealers gladly had a Skycatcher on order, because it kept them from having to buy an airplane for a few years.
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

eyeflygps wrote:My FBO has two, one for me and one for Flocker.
:lol:
- Bruce
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

In addition with the Skycatcher being the least expensive airplane of the Cessna line, taking a new one was the cheapest way to meet the one plane per year requirement of Cessna.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

eyeflygps wrote:My FBO has two, one for me and one for Flocker.
Sounds like a partnership made in heaven?
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

So, 3rd Class Medical Reform is a fact, effective May 1st, and AOPA has provided a very informative article outlining the new requirements.
https://www.aopa.org/News-and-Media/All ... um=Content
So, according to this, it requires a physical exam from a state-licensed physician, who also completes a checklist (from FAA, I assume), and the applicant then completes an online medical course. Hmmmm.... might as well just go to the AME and go for the 3rd class medical. Unless I'm missing something, not much has changed.
designrs

Post by designrs »

I agree. Lots of things have changed. It's much easier for pilots to keep flying. Now the big question is, How will it effect The Sport Pilot market?

My thoughts are:

1) Less existing pilots will transition down to Light Sport. They will simply keep flying what they are flying.
2) Some may still opt to get the Sport Pilot certificate... those that don't want to do the first medical, or those that are happy to fly Light Sport.
3) Existing Sport Pilot certificate holders will probably stay Light Sport
4) Many flying Light Sport with a Private will probably go back to traditional aircraft if they so desire.
5) Those with a strong desire to fly more aircraft (faster transportation, more power, aerobatics, IFR, etc.) might bite the bullet, do the medical once, and get a private.
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
designrs

Post by designrs »

eyeflygps wrote:Unfortunately, I missed out by 45 days.
Not if you don't count weekends and holidays! :wink:
- Richard
designrs

Post by designrs »

In favor of Light Sport aircraft:
1) Although acquisition cost is high, Light Sport aircraft are "a bargain" for a new or newer aircraft.
2) Some people might want to go Light Sport and NEVER have to deal with a third class medical.
- Richard
Kregster

Post by Kregster »

A few SportPilots may try for the PP. Those with an expired Class 3, but never got the license and instead got a Class 3 may sit for the exam, checkride and fly something different.
drseti

Post by drseti »

I believe you're right - a current medical is still required to take any checkride other than Sport, Balloon, or Glider.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

This is from the FAA's questions and answers on BasicMed.

Q: Can I use BasicMed privileges to take an Airline Transport Pilot practical test?

A: Yes. A person taking any FAA practical test is exercising no more than private pilot privileges because the operation is not being conducted for compensation or hire.

This seems to indicate that you could take a private pilot checkride as well under BasicMed.

Another one that has been discussed before.

Q: My medical certificate expired in 2011 and I submitted an application for an FAA medical certificate using MedExpress but I never went to an AME for my physical exam. Does this application prevent me from using the previous medical certificate to meet the requirement to hold a medical at any point after July 15, 2006?

A: No. Since an AME never accessed your application, you didn’t complete the application process and you may use the previous medical certificate (before you submitted your MedXpress application) to comply with BasicMed.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Here are a couple excerpts from the Advisory Circular 68-1.

What Are My BasicMed Privileges? You can conduct any operation that you would otherwise be able to conduct using your pilot certificate and a third-class medical certificate, except you are limited to:

4.1 Applicability. The BasicMed privileges apply to persons exercising student, recreational, and private pilot privileges. It also applies to persons exercising flight instructor privileges when acting as pilot in command (PIC). You cannot use BasicMed privileges to fly as a safety pilot, except when that pilot is acting as PIC.1