Senate passes pilot bill of rights 2

Here's the place to ask all of your medical questions. But don't believe everything you read!

Moderator: drseti

jjfjr

Senate passes pilot bill of rights 2

Post by jjfjr »

Hi;

The full Senate has passed by unanimous consent the Pilot’s Bill of Rights 2, which will now go to the House for consideration before it can go to the president for a signature.

Most pilots who have held a valid third class medical, either regular or special issuance, within 10 years of the legislation’s enactment would never need to get another FAA medical exam.

If you have not had a valid medical in the past 10 years or have never applied for and received a medical certificate, a one-time third class medical certification (regular or special issuance) by an aviation medical examiner will be required.

They will then need to visit their personal physician once every four years for a medical exam. Pilots will need to fill out a form and provide it to the doctor performing the exam. The pilot must make a note of the visit and keep the signed form in his or her logbook.

The form includes a short medical history questionnaire as well as a list of items the doctor must include in the examination. The physician certifies that he or she is not aware of any medical condition that, as it is currently being treated, would interfere with the ability to fly safely.

Any thoughts on the impact to sport pilots and/or sport pilot instructors? Is it now worth going for a sport pilot CFI if the bill eventually becomes law?

jjfjr
SportPilot

Re: Senate passes pilot bill of rights 2

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kregster

Post by Kregster »

Devil is in the details.. First glance it appears the "form" they are asking your physician to execute will be the key.. Any other thoughts?
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daleandee

Post by Daleandee »

Last edited by Daleandee on Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daleandee

Post by Daleandee »

Last edited by Daleandee on Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daleandee

Post by Daleandee »

Last edited by Daleandee on Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Gentlemen,
Now that we've beaten the health insurance debate to death, can we please stick to the topic of the PBOR2? Thanks.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

drseti wrote:Gentlemen,
Now that we've beaten the health insurance debate to death, can we please stick to the topic of the PBOR2? Thanks.
Thank you.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

I have to say that this is the fourth 'flying forum' that I've visited this week where quite a few members view it to okay to use it as a platform to put forth right wing political diatribe and disparage the President with veiled snarky comments. In some cases members have been banned and suspended because of this
Some that have called them out on it have also been suspended and banned.

For me, I've certainly become much more reluctant to participate and even go to the sites because of this.

There are surely forums for right-wingers to collectively rant and rail against the Administration, proffer conspiracy theory, or whatever. This is a site supposedly about, and for, those interested in light sport flying.
We are hugely fortunate in the USA to have amazing freedom to enjoy our flying privileges. In the UK it's way more expensive and restrictive, requiring booking in and booking out for every flight in really restricted airspace. Yesterday, in the USA I went to my field, pulled my airplane out of the hangar and flew where I wanted, when I wanted, with a lot less rules, regulations and restrictions. On fuel that costs me $2.99 gallon versus 4 times that price in the UK.

Now, we're on the eve of PBOR 2 which will vastly improve the lot of pilots in the USA. The final PBOR 2 offers even more benefits that the proponents originally wanted!

Please, everyone is entitled to their own views on politics and the political parties. Its election season. Still, can we please keep the right-wing views out of discussions about light sport flying and instead focus on discussion about airplanes, engines, avionics and the enjoyment of flying? It does seem to be conservative view points, and right-wing bloggers who are guilty of this.

One site I've visited has been almost ruined by political diatribe. Many threads seems to morph into a political rant in short order and there seems to be a pattern from those with right-wing views who seem to assume that everyone agrees with them. Those with opposing views feel compelled to heatedly respond. Lets not let that happen here?

This site is a great place for those interested in getting into sport flying for the first time, as well as those who do it for fun as a hobby or in retirement. We certainly don't want them to stay away because of fear of being brow-beaten by political ranters.

Thanks.
Last edited by Nomore767 on Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

There's plenty of diatribe on all sides of every political issue, on every forum I've ever been on since the days of dial-up BBS systems.

Best to just stick to relevant topics.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

"Any thoughts on the impact to sport pilots and/or sport pilot instructors? Is it now worth going for a sport pilot CFI if the bill eventually becomes law?"

I fly as a sport pilot now, having flown over the years as a PPL, CPL and ATPL, because it's the type of flying most suited to my 'mission'. I welcome PBOR 2 but I don't think it offers me personally anything that I don't already have.
I don't have a need to fly bigger airplane, at night, IFR, or with multiple passengers. However, PBOR 2 does make such a move up much more doable.

I feel that sport flying has brought some incredible advances in technology and LSAs fly faster and cheaper than the planes I flew when I started out. It hasn't been as affordable as original proponents wanted however, LSAs offer a massive amount of utility and flying options and though acquisition cost for a new , or nearly new, LSA is considerable, ongoing operating costs can be very reasonable.

I don't know about the sport CFI question. I'm not sure, but can't you train for the sport license with a regular CFI using a sport training curriculum?

Personally, I think PBOR 2 is a really exciting prospect for aviation in the USA. A lot of the positives gained from the sport flying experience have led to the relaxed new rules and I hope that there are a lot of folks that will now feel able and compelled to get into flying and I hope its as fun, enjoyable and fulfilling as it has been for me over the years!