Senate passes pilot bill of rights 2

Here's the place to ask all of your medical questions. But don't believe everything you read!

Moderator: drseti

HAPPYDAN

Re: Senate passes pilot bill of rights 2

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Yeah, Ron, I hear you. The posters at EAA indicated that Doctors who routinely screen physicals for DOT (CDL) are on board, but it sounds like the family doctor is concerned that, should he/she sign off, and Joe Pilot suffers a massive coronary in the air and augers into a Daycare center, is he/she going to be held jointly liable? I am not aware of ANY AME that ever was. I'm no lawyer, but I say no way. But, some people.... I guess maybe FAA (or somebody) could issue waiver of liability.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Anyone can be sued. Then, it's decided by a jury of your peers. There are no waivers from liability for negligence or malpractice.
Retired from flying.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

I've printed out the guide for doctors and am giving a copy of it, with a letter of explanation, to my family doctor over the next day or two.

I'll let you guys know what she says.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Thanks, Ed. As an Old Guy, I am concerned. My 3d Class expired in March, so this could effect me too. While Sport Pilot is fine, the place I rent requires (their insurance does, anyway) at least a 3d Class Medical to rent any plane. They have said they will accept Basic Med also.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

The letter going to my doctor later today:

April 27, 2017

Dear Dr. xxx,

I am a pilot, and have been legally flying "Light Sport" planes over the last several years without an FAA medical. The main reason was the expense and aggravation of annual exams with an FAA physician, which required special tests and documentation given my history of kidney stones. That led to a lot of uncertainty and anxiety and expense for tests every year, and in some cases over-treatment of an otherwise benign condition.

As background, around 2004 the FAA decided to allow pilots to fly a certain class of small aircraft without a medical and within certain "Sport Pilot" limitations. As long as a pilot had never failed an FAA medical, and had a driver's license, he or she could self-certify that they were safe to fly. This was an experiment, and the results have been stunningly positive - there have been virtually no cases of pilot incapacitation among Sport Pilots in the 12+ years since inception of the rule.

The success of the program led to a Pilot's Bill Of Rights, passed by congress last year. The initial hope was that the success of the Sport Pilot program would allow it to simply be expanded to include flying slightly larger and faster planes in slightly more challenging conditions - basically what private pilots can do now. The new procedures and requirements that go into effect in a few days are called "BasicMed".

The end result, going into effect May 1, 2017, is a lot more complicated and convoluted than many had hoped for. But the major benefit for me would be opening up more planes to fly, without the yearly fear of being grounded for good if I failed an FAA medical.

I have printed out a summary provided by an airplane owner's association specifically to explain to physicians what this all means to them, and to you, and the procedures and guidelines to be utilized.

Long story short, is this something you'd be willing to do for me? If so, I'd like to schedule an appointment as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance,

Ed Benson
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

My doctor who is also a AME has said that he will do Basic Med. He did say that he has been going round and round with his insurance company, because they are wanting to raise his rates if he does the exams.
azsportpilot

Post by azsportpilot »

Monday is the big day..... May 1st is day 1 of Basic-Med

I saw the letter in a previous post that a board member here is planning to present to their doctor explaining Basic-med, I like that idea and was going to draft a similar letter for mine

But instead I'm just going to spring it on him at my next routine office visit and ask him to complete and sign the form, I have had pretty good luck with this method in previous endeavors

wish me luck
John Sarra CFI-S
1946 Aeronca Chief

-Mankind has a perfect record in aviation; we never left one up there!
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

That's how I handled my drag racing physical with my doctor. I scheduled a routine annual physical exam and asked her if she would complete and sign the NHRA form as part of the physical. No problem.
Retired from flying.