What does a 3'rd class medical look like?

Here's the place to ask all of your medical questions. But don't believe everything you read!

Moderator: drseti

rezaf_2000

What does a 3'rd class medical look like?

Post by rezaf_2000 »

Can anyone tell me how a third class medical exam usually goes? I've scheduled one in two weeks (I'd like to continue my training to get the private).

I'm 34, healthy as much as I can tell, not too much overweight :). I go to gym three times a week and am on no drugs. Have a history of a fractured finger and an injured knee in the past, both due to sporting accidents and both completely healed now. I'm actually training for a 10K run this spring. Of course throughout the years I've had medical issues like everyone else, so I'm wondering if I should find and bring all my medical history to the exam? Or will they try to investigate and dig up as much as they can? Or is it just a physical exam right then and there?

Oh, and do I need to get undressed?!!! I've heard the 3'rd class physical could involve some cavity exams?!! :shock: :oops:
200 hours of flight and counting
Nomore767

Re: What does a 3'rd class medical look like?

Post by Nomore767 »

I'm not a physician but I have taken a few FAA medicals over the years.

You can search medical requirements for pilots and also problems that other applicants have experienced.

The FAA medical is different than a 'check-up' with the outcome that 'you're okay'. You either pass or fail qualification for the FAA medical. Things you may attach importance to they don't , and vice versa. For example they want to know your past admissions to hospital, what were they for, when etc They also want to know any history of DUI, DWI etc

If you have any doubt about anything, or are not sure, I would urge you to get it sorted out first. Thinking you're fine maybe be okay for you but if the AME finds an issue or a problem and denies your application then you have opened up a new path of consequences.

Not saying you will…don't go in thinking you're okay, do some homework first and get your history sorted out. That way you can go in and 'know' you'll pass, or at least would have a high expectancy. Better than "I should be okay".

That's just my opinion.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

I know someone who went into a physical many years ago feeling fine.

A tiny bit of blood in his urine led to a KUB x-ray which indicated kidney stones. This began a lengthy series of procedures, ultimately culminating in a Class I medical, but with Special Issuance provisions that mandated annual renewals, each of which required new tests and paperwork.

This fellow was glad to leave all that behind and just fly Light Sport.

Like I said, there are AME's that will give you a pre-physical physical. I'd recommend that for anyone.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

FastEddieB wrote:I know someone who went into a physical many years ago feeling fine.

A tiny bit of blood in his urine led to a KUB x-ray which indicated kidney stones. This began a lengthy series of procedures, ultimately culminating in a Class I medical, but with Special Issuance provisions that mandated annual renewals, each of which required new tests and paperwork.

This fellow was glad to leave all that behind and just fly Light Sport.

Like I said, there are AME's that will give you a pre-physical physical. I'd recommend that for anyone.
With the electronic method that is in place now things are different than they were a few years ago.
According to my AME when he did training with the FAA they stated that one of the unintended consiquences of the new system is the examiner can do the examination before acessing your electronically filed form. The physical doesn't ofically happen until the doctor uses the code provided by you to bring up your application.
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

You should not have to take your pants off.

My experience, piss in bottle, listen to heart, take blood pressure, near vision, far vision, color vision, casual hearing test, casual chat about medical history, certificate.
PP-ASEL, Flight Design CTSW owner.
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Rezaf, I suggest you review - notice that I didn't say 'file' - the on-line FAA form you must complete & file prior to entering the AME's office. Note which items require you to provide additional information (which might include providing prior test info). If that form leaves you with Q's about your fitness for a Class 3 medical, I think your next step should be to have a consultation with the AME you expect to use for the Class 3. Sit down with the AME and discuss the items that left you uncertain, and ask him to review any clinical or other requirements you will face. You can't benefit from this relevant discussion with your family doctor because s/he won't know the FARs, the FAA's medical standards and so forth.

I did this when re-entering aviation after a sailing hiatus and one of the benefits, along with removing any anxiety I might have felt, is that I knew exactly what back-up lab test info to bring in with me for the Class 3 exam. That meant no delay, after the physical, in receiving the certificate.

My advice is to start with the form the AME first reviews, and then proceed from there.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
designrs

Post by designrs »

In reference to the kidney stone example above...

This is what I don't get about the third-class medical. Little issues like a kidney stone that many people have had, or many probably currently have and don't even know about it, becomes part of a "federal investigation".

OK... maybe justified if the applicant is going for a First Class medical because he is responsible for large commercial flights packed with the lives of many people.

As far as I know, women are allowed to fly pregnant according to their own discretion... guess that's a hell of a bigger factor than a kidney stone! :lol:
designrs

Post by designrs »

Anybody considering a medical application with possible complications should check the Red Board and find Dr. Bruce Chen. He offers tons of advice on that board and specializes in helping applicans with issues successfully comply with FAA medical requirements.

From what I gather from his posts, it's being truthful with the FAA, not providing unnecessary information that is not required, while documenting specific required information for whatever issue to expedite the process.
AJChenMPH

Post by AJChenMPH »

Here's a summary from the FAA's site (includes the 2nd and 1st class requirements as well):

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/hea ... standards/

I personally had two challenges: drank too much coffee the morning of my exam, so my blood pressure was too high initially; and my night vision has degraded somewhat, so I almost didn't pass the vision test. Both easily manageable for the next time around (I'll need the 2nd class medical for my commercial ticket).
Andy / PP-ASEL
pjcampbell

Post by pjcampbell »

at the risk of going off topic, beet juice lowers blood pressure for a good while after drinking a glass. Of course, just avoid excess coffee on the morning might be enough.