CTLSi wrote:The cost of an AME medical exam is not born by the govt, it born by the pilot. I wasn't around when the LSA and Sport Pilot revolution happened. And that does seem to fly (pun intended) in the face of the current trend to explode the size and reach and oppression of the federal government.
But it remains suspicious that the FAA would relax the 3rd class medical given they already gave guys that can't pass the medical a way to fly as sport pilots. If they let them fly as privates again (and in essence that is what happens) then there seems to be no reason to have sport pilot and LSA... at that point, the manufacturing market for factory built two seaters will vaporize in favor of the EAB kits. And the often cited availability of aging Cessnas and Pipers for under $50k out there.
Notice on this board for instance. every commentor is exactly that, either a private flying LSA (in my case), or a former commercial/private/atp flying as a sport pilot and LSA. Very few people able to pass a 3rd class and choose to fly as sport pilot. The only guy I know of like that is GravityKnight.
Are you one of those MrMorden, can you pass a 3rd class and fly as PP? I know you are not that old.
The cost of the exam is borne by the pilot, but who processes the paperwork? Who manages compliance of 300,000 PPs with medicals, does medicals records checks, issues SIs, and initiates and follows through on enforcement actions? That's all done by the FAA, and it's nowhere near free.
When I went through a very prominent AME, I was told he thought there was an 80% chance he could get me certified. But because I didn't like the 20% chance of not being able to fly anything except ultralights and gliders, I decided to just go SP. That minimized my flying hassles with the Feds as well, which I love.
Is your resistance to all this just because you don't want your CT to lose value? I'm not sure that would happen, but even if it did, it would not change the utility of the airplane, and the chance to get many more pilots flying would be worth it to me to take the hit.