Anateur Radio While Flying

Here's the place to ask all of your medical questions. But don't believe everything you read!

Moderator: drseti

rk911

Anateur Radio While Flying

Post by rk911 »

I would like to use an amateur radio handi-talkie while in flight. the ambient noise in the cockpit currently makes this impossible. anyone know of a way to interface an amateur radio handheld radio to an aviation headset?

'73,
rich, n9dko
I'd start lifting weights...but i figure if something's heavy it must be nature's way of telling me not to pick it up.

Re: Anateur Radio While Flying

Post by Jack Tyler »

What it will take depends on what freqs you want to transmit on. Listening is easy, transmitting isn't."
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
rk911

Post by rk911 »

Jack Tyler wrote:What it will take depends on what freqs you want to transmit on. Listening is easy, transmitting isn't."
I may not have been clear. the amateur hand held is NOT going to be used on aviation freqs...it will be used on the amateur band.
'73,
rich, n9dko
My high school chess club kicked me out once they found out about my checkered past

Post by garbageman »

Rich
All you need is an adapter to go from the plugs on the headset into the little receptacles in the handheld. I have one for an Icon transceiver. Works on both ham and a/c transceivers. You can make them from parts from Radio Shack or Mousser.
David
rk911

Post by rk911 »

garbageman wrote:Rich
All you need is an adapter to go from the plugs on the headset into the little receptacles in the handheld. I have one for an Icon transceiver. Works on both ham and a/c transceivers. You can make them from parts from Radio Shack or Mousser.
David
ok...is the mic impedence the same for the A/C headset as for the ham HT's speaker mic? I was thinking of keeping the A/C audio in one ear and the ham in the other.
'73,
rich, n9dko
My high school chess club kicked me out once they found out about my checkered past