Disqualifying medications

Here's the place to ask all of your medical questions. But don't believe everything you read!

Moderator: drseti

MarcGreen

Disqualifying medications

Post by MarcGreen »

FlyingForFun wrote:Welcome. At 240 pounds, I think you may have a difficult time being able to fly LSA with an instructor or passenger. Is there a reason you don't want to go for Private Pilot in a Cessna or Piper, etc.?
Thanks. I would have preferred Private Pilot but I take medication that is on the verboten list.
Merlinspop

Re: Hello from Bay Area

Post by Merlinspop »

Welcome, Marc

A couple thoughts.

First, your doctor may be able to switch you do a different medication for your treatment. It doesn't hurt to ask. Possibly even buy the AOPA added service and consult with them.

Second, depending on how remote and austere those hunting areas are, you may want to look into one of the cubcrafters, Kitfox, or Just Aircraft models. Sadly, all are essentially impossible to find as a rental. You might have to get creative.

Again, welcome and best of luck in your pursuit!
- Bruce
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

MarcGreen wrote:
FlyingForFun wrote:Welcome. At 240 pounds, I think you may have a difficult time being able to fly LSA with an instructor or passenger. Is there a reason you don't want to go for Private Pilot in a Cessna or Piper, etc.?
Thanks. I would have preferred Private Pilot but I take medication that is on the verboten list.
Marc,

I hope I'm wrong, because I can see you really want to get into the air, but…

I was under the impression that if you were on medication that you knew was "verboten", as you put it, it would be difficult to make a case that you could self-certify that you were medically fit.

IOW, the FAA has determined that certain medications, in and of themselves, render a pilot unsafe.

(T)he rule explicitly states that a pilot may not use a current and valid U.S. driver's license in lieu of a valid airman medical certificate if the pilot knows or has reason to know of any medical condition that would make that person unable to operate a light sport aircraft in a safe manner. This reiterates the requirement of §61.53. The determination as to whether a pilot has a medical condition that would make him or her unable to operate the aircraft in a safe manner is the sole responsibility of the pilot. The ability to certify no known medical conditions that would prohibit the safe operation of an aircraft is a matter about which a pilot should consult his or her personal physician.

Again, I hope someone can point to an interpretation allowing you to fly!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

FlyingForFun wrote:FastEddie, this is an issue where I think you and I disagree.
Eddie, I'm going to have to side with FFF on this one. As I read the FAR, the prohibited meds list applies to those who hold an FAA medical certificate. Those using a drivers license medical are required to ensure that they are medically fit to fly, not that they are eligible for an FAA medical.

By means of analogy: the standard IA sign-off for a condition inspection includes the wording "in an airworthy condition." This sign-off does not apply to an LSA, as the Operating Limitations specify the logbook entry must include the words "in a condition for safe operation." Similarly, without an FAA designated medical examiner to say so, a Sport Pilot using a drivers license can't be airworthy, merely in a condition for safe operation.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

FlyingForFun wrote:On the other hand, if you don't hold a current medical and never had one denied or revoked, and you are using a driver's license and self-certifying, then you only need to be medically fit and safe to fly as determined by you and your personal physician.
I hope you guys are all correct.

I'd love to see a ruling on it in favor of your position.

But logically, let's say the FAA has ruled a certain anti-depressant is "verboten" due to the possibility of it impairing a pilot's abilities. Would it really be wise for a pilot to just assume that he's medically fit to fly while taking that drug?

If its technically legal, great! But is it a good idea?
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

FastEddieB wrote:let's say the FAA has ruled a certain anti-depressant is "verboten" due to the possibility of it impairing a pilot's abilities.
But that's not exactly the way FAA Aeromedical Branch makes these decisions, Eddie. They decide that depression is a disqualifying condition. (OK, I can kinda buy that.). Then, they say that this particular drug is used to treat depression. Therefore, if you're taking it, you must be depressed, therfore it is the condition, not the medication, that grounds you.

The problem is that this policy encourages pilots not to get treatment for serious medical conditions. They do the same thing regarding some heart medications. What they really should be saying is that untreated depression (or untreated cardiovascular disease) is disqualifying. Right now, they go exactly the opposite way - get treated, and get grounded.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

Guys, how about if I move the medically related posts over to the Ask the Medical Examiner forum?
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

OK, I'm convinced there's nothing in the regs as written that would make flying with a "verboten" drug illegal as a self-certifying Sport Pilot.

I would just say it would be wise to take a long, hard look at the reasoning behind the FAA ban, then make a carefully informed decision as to your particular ability to fly safely while on that drug.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

That is absolutely good advice, Eddie, that would apply even to drugs that are not on the prohibited list.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Tyler

Re: Disqualifying medications

Post by Jack Tyler »

As Eddie noted: "I would just say it would be wise to take a long, hard look at the reasoning behind the FAA ban, then make a carefully informed decision as to your particular ability to fly safely while on that drug."

As part of that 'long hard look', I would recommend using the Medical portion of AOPA's Pilot Protection Services - https://pilot-protection-services.aopa.org/ . They see these issues from a unique perspective, including far more knowledge of the medical certification process than we laymen can accumulate, and they are pilot advocates.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org