Partial Hearing Loss

Here's the place to ask all of your medical questions. But don't believe everything you read!

Moderator: drseti

Flocker

Partial Hearing Loss

Post by Flocker »

Quick question for the group... if a SP Student can hear everything except the frequency of the stall warning horn is this a deal breaker on the checkride?
Aviation Real Estate Broker
FlyingForFun

Re: Partial Hearing Loss

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

I remember being told once that the 'normal' range of sound for humans/pilots was loud voice/soft voice. Getting a hearing test from a neutral party might help.

There are stall warnings that are audio/visual..a light goes on as well as the warning. An airplane like the C162 has the typical Cessna reed which seems to get louder the slower you go. You can test it on your preflight I think. To me it's quite loud.

If you're really not sure I'd have an independent test first and depending on the results check with your school as to what to do next, before any check ride, to be on the safe side.
ct4me

Post by ct4me »

Many planes don't have a stall horn. Is it on the MEL? (minimum equipment list)
Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com
drseti

Post by drseti »

To me, the best stall warning in the world is your butt in the seat and your toes on the rudder pedals. Every LSA I've flown has a pronounced buffet before the stall break. If you can't feel that, then that is a deal breaker on the checkride.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

FlyingForFun wrote:Is a stall warning horn a required piece of equipment? I don't remember.
Figure 4-1 from the 162 POH shows Item #31-01, Pneumatic Stall Warning System, is required.
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

Nomore767 wrote:You can test it on your preflight I think. To me it's quite loud.
Section 7-9 of the 162's POH notes the following: "To check the system, place a clean handkerchief over the vent opening and apply suction; a sound from the warning horn will confirm system operation"
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Flocker wrote:Quick question for the group... if a SP Student can hear everything except the frequency of the stall warning horn is this a deal breaker on the checkride?
Many airplanes used for sport pilot training don't even have a stall warning horn. Also I know many pilots including myself who do not have good hearing through all the frequency ranges. Many times the hearing test for a medical is the doctor standing you next to a wall ans whispering from across the room. The Sport Pilot PTS has this to say.

6. Recognizes and recovers promptly after the stall occurs by simultaneously reducing the angle of attack, increasing power to maximum allowable, and leveling the wings to return to a straight-and-level flight attitude with a minimum loss of altitude appropriate for the airplane.

As long as you can do that without hearing the stall warning horn you are good to go.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

I can't hear my stall warning horn either, since it's not installed. :)

I think your guy should be good to go. Just make sure you drill him on understanding the feel of when a stall is impending, and in what conditions it might happen abruptly without those cues. You could also install a AoA sensor with a different pitch tone or voice warning if needed.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

We confirmed with the FAA. They said there is no regulation or interpretation requiring that a SP hear the horn.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Flocker, did that come from HQ, from FAA Legal, from aeromedical branch on OKC, or from some local FSDO? Also, did this info come verbally, or in a Letter of Interpretation? If the latter, it would sure help a lot of folks if you could post it.
Thanks.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

drseti wrote:Flocker, did that come from HQ, from FAA Legal, from aeromedical branch on OKC, or from some local FSDO? Also, did this info come verbally, or in a Letter of Interpretation? If the latter, it would sure help a lot of folks if you could post it.
Thanks.
It was a telephone conversation with an Operations Inspector from the Atlanta FSDO Office.