ADD Meds & SP

Here's the place to ask all of your medical questions. But don't believe everything you read!

Moderator: drseti

NCPilot

ADD Meds & SP

Post by NCPilot »

I'm wondering if sport pilots can fly while on ADD meds. I know that ADD meds (and diagnose of ADD) would disqualify you for a third class medical, but according to Sport Pilot regs, a person would only need a Valid Driver's License to act as the medical instead of a third class medical.

So I'm wondering what the thoughts on that is. Thank you very much for your time.
newamiga

Re: ADD Meds & SP

Post by newamiga »

Here is what the general rules say from the AOPA page on the subject. According to these if you have been denied and have not subsequently gotten a Special Issuance you are out of luck. If you haven't been denied then from these rules it is ultimately the pilot's call if they believe they can safely operate a LSA.

Medical Certification:

The FAA has made substantive revisions to the sport pilot medical provisions, which disallow the use of a driver's license as a medical standard for medically disqualified pilots.
14 CFR 61.23 only permits using a current and valid U.S. driver's license as evidence of medical qualification based on the following conditions:
If a person has applied for an airman medical certificate, that person must have been found eligible for the issuance of at least a third class airman medical certificate.
If a person has held an airman medical certificate, that person's most recently issued airman medical certificate must not have been revoked or suspended.
If a person has been granted an authorization (special issuance), that authorization must not have been withdrawn.
In addition, the rule explicitly states that a pilot may not use a current and valid U.S. driver's license in lieu of a valid airman medical certificate if the pilot knows or has reason to know of any medical condition that would make that person unable to operate a light sport aircraft in a safe manner. This reiterates the requirement of §61.53. The determination as to whether a pilot has a medical condition that would make him or her unable to operate the aircraft in a safe manner is the sole responsibility of the pilot. The ability to certify no known medical conditions that would prohibit the safe operation of an aircraft is a matter about which a pilot should consult his or her personal physician.
Private Pilot and RV-12 Builder
drseti

Post by drseti »

My only concern about ADD meds is that they're generally stimulants. Is it a good idea to fly while on speed? I really don't know, but the pilot should self-assess his or her reactions to the specific med before making that decision.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

Different standards or different methods to arrive at the same standard?
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

It's true that some of the FAA rules regarding medication that would void a medical certificate are made for political, not medical, reasons. Self-certification in consultation with your personal physician takes the politics out of the equation. You still need to make a medically informed decision. You might ask your physician, for example, "how do you feel about me driving while taking Aderall?" If he or she says "no problem," then ask, "how about flying?"
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NCPilot

Post by NCPilot »

Thanks for the help, I think I'll go talk to my doctor in the next few days.

I'm just tired of feeling like this, or feel like I have 500 web browser open and I'm trying to view them all at once.
drseti

Post by drseti »

NC, my ADD wife just added:
"tell him caffeine and decongestants work too. 12 hour psudofed.
Most adhd adults self medicate with those."
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Self-certification means that you personally certify each flight that you are safe to the best of your knowledge. There are no other *specific* limitations regarding health conditions or medications (except that you are healthy enough to be issued a driver's license). However, if you end up in an accident while flying taking Oxycontin, even a Sport Pilot could expect a suspension or worse, because it should be obvious that you are unsafe flying in that condition. And of course the limits and exclusions for alcohol and illegal drugs apply equally to all pilots.

I canceled a flight one time because I had taken a Benadryl the night before and still felt fuzzy-headed the next day. I didn't have to do so, but I could not honestly certify that I felt safe to fly in that condition, so I self-grounded.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA