Sport Pilot Schools that Require a Medical - Help Stop This

Here's the place to ask all of your medical questions. But don't believe everything you read!

Moderator: drseti

MovingOn

Re: Sport Pilot Schools that Require a Medical - Help Stop T

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrianL99

Post by BrianL99 »

Insurance rates are different for the exact same pilot, depending on whether they're flying as PP or SP.

I just got (3) quotes to insure a Sting and the quotes were all different, depending on how I was going to fly.

Business owner's are entitled to run their business the way they wish. There are already way too many government mandated restrictions.

Violation of ADA? No wonder you don't have a medical, you're smokin' some really strong stuff.
drseti

Post by drseti »

The ADA is there to make sure the civil rights of persons with disabilities are not violated. I don't think renting an airplane, or flying for that matter, are civil rights. If they were, there could be no medical standards whatever. Flying is not like voting!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
BrianL99

Post by BrianL99 »

drseti wrote:The ADA is there to make sure the civil rights of persons with disabilities are not violated. I don't think renting an airplane, or flying for that matter, are civil rights. If they were, there could be no medical standards whatever. Flying is not like voting!
It goes beyond that. Suggesting your rights under ADA are being violated because you can't fly without a Medical, in most cases, is admitting your "self-certification" to fly violates the applicable FAR's.

Renter: "Hey Mr., I want to fly your airplane, but I don't have an FAA Medical because I'm not qualified to get one."

Owner: "Sorry, you can't fly my airplane unless you're medically qualified."

Renter: "You're violating my rights under ADA, just because I have a weak heart, high blood pressure and my vision isn't so good!"

Owner: "Call your Congressman."
drseti

Post by drseti »

There's an FBO on Long Island that has Braille placards on every door in the facility. They are required to under the ADA. Their flight school is associated with a university, and their ground school classes are given for college credit. But there are no Braille markings on any of their planes' instrument panels!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
theskunk

Post by theskunk »

I'm currently dealing with this at an airport that offers a sport curriculum, as a reduced cost means to get people up to larger aircraft and the 'reward' of being able to get into the air quicker. It's not an insurance policy, it's set by the owners of the flight school (who, by the way, are poster children for AOPA and EAA's third class medical reform). Despite the hypocrisy involved, they are pushing away potential students who would otherwise be flying with them. They have three 162's, have very competitive rates, and are 18 miles from my house. The next closest is almost 2 hours away, and it's a single P92, base model with a single wing fuel tank.

As far as I can tell, the school has enough of a student base, and rental aircraft base, that turning away a few potential LSA drivers on a DL medical simply isn't enough of a hit on their bottom line.

In contrast, another school, at one of the same airports, allows for the DL medical in their 162s, with the caveat that when you pick up the keys you can look them in the eye and tell them you're good to fly that day. Ironically enough, they do this with their 3rd class medical holders as well.
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theskunk

Post by theskunk »

MovingOn wrote:Personally, I would like to see FBO's rent to anyone qualified per the FAR's.
I agree, and I believe that for the most part, aside from a checkout (which is standard practice) they do exactly that.
TravelerMSY

Post by TravelerMSY »

It is annoying. As a candidate for a sport pilot ticket, I'm effectively blocked out of training on or renting the only LSA in my area.
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TravelerMSY

Post by TravelerMSY »

Not so simple. The third class medical will be a problem. Poor vision in one eye. Doable with a special issuance or SODA but a whole lot of trouble.
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

For inspiration, Wiley Post lost an eye and went on to quite the aviation career.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiley_Post
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
BrianL99

Post by BrianL99 »

TravelerMSY wrote:It is annoying. As a candidate for a sport pilot ticket, I'm effectively blocked out of training on or renting the only LSA in my area.

I'm not sure whining about the situation is likely to change anything.

You always have the option to buy your own SLA and then you won't have to worry about anyone else's rules.

Or as someone else suggested, go through the effort to 3rd Class Medical. If you're concerned about being denied a Medical, perhaps you should reconsider if you should be flying under any circumstances.