Sport Pilot Schools that Require a Medical - Help Stop This

Here's the place to ask all of your medical questions. But don't believe everything you read!

Moderator: drseti

designrs

Re: Sport Pilot Schools that Require a Medical - Help Stop T

Post by designrs »

Remember too that the Sport Pilot is a test of the Drivers License Medical. If flight schools and insurance companies are allowed to baselessly discriminate now, we run the same risk by precedent if and when the FAA would expand the medical exemption to many certified aircraft under 180hp.
Last edited by designrs on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
designrs

Post by designrs »

Think of the struggling LSA industry. Imagine that two months before the LSA expo at Sebring it was announced that "All flight schools, rental companies, and insurance companies WILL require at least a third-class medical of LSA students and pilots.... even though the FAA does not." What do you think that woud do to the LSA community? (In the words of Ross Perot... I'm hearing a "Giant Sucking Sound".)
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
designrs

Post by designrs »

FlyingForFun wrote:People would have to buy their own LSA and fly without insurance. That's perfectly legal.
Pardon a newbie here, in that I've never owned an aircraft... yet.
Really? Airplanes are not required to carry liability insurance as is the case with cars?
Perfectly legal to fly a private aircraft in all states in the USA with no insurance at all?
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

A Sport Pilot is required to have either a valid Driver's License or a valid Medical (see FAR 61.303). This flight school is simply choosing one path that is fully supported by the regs. Whether that is a good business decision is up to the prospective pilot population.
dave
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

designrs wrote:Think of the struggling LSA industry. Imagine that two months before the LSA expo at Sebring it was announced that "All flight schools, rental companies, and insurance companies WILL require at least a third-class medical of LSA students and pilots....
How many straw men arguments are you going to present?

You are asking a whole community to help stop a privately owned business based on false arguments like FAA compliance, discrimination, or the scare quoted above.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

I think the whole brouhaha about requiring a medical to rent an LSA and it possibly involving the FAA is a bit silly.

Google just pointed me to at least two flight schools that require an instrument rating to rent a Cirrus SR22. I just don't see how this is different - the school can set any standards they want, as long as they're not discrimating by sex, color, national origin, that sort of thing.

Just tell the business you won't rent from them for the very reason of them requiring a medical. When they see their bottom line has morphed from black to red, they may very well reconsider turning potential customers away.

IOW, don't get mad, get even!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

designrs wrote:Think of the struggling LSA industry. Imagine that two months before the LSA expo at Sebring it was announced that "All flight schools, rental companies, and insurance companies WILL require at least a third-class medical of LSA students and pilots.... even though the FAA does not." What do you think that woud do to the LSA community? (In the words of Ross Perot... I'm hearing a "Giant Sucking Sound".)
I think you can choose...fly at the school that demands a medical that you don't have, and don't intend to get, or go to the school that's happy with your driver's license.

Let the School decide whether their policy makes economic sense.

There is always risk, there is always liability. Why not demand that every renter has an ATP and a 1st Class medical with EKG? Because the only sound you'd hear at the school would be crickets. All their planes would be safely on the ground not earning any money.

If the announcement was made, as you say REQUIRING at least a third class medical for LSA students and pilots two months before Sebring...then the Expo would probably be deserted and it would probably be the last one.
drseti

Post by drseti »

FlyingForFun wrote: In many cases, you can have higher standards than the minimum requirements.
Absolutely. I require my renters to take my 3- day LSA Transition course. The FARs certainly don't. This is simply my company policy, which am free to set. I'm also free to waive it if, say, deltafox or Fast Eddie should wish to rent my plane. My business, my rules.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

CTLSi says :-
"This thread is not about requiring a medical to RENT a plane. Start from the top, the thread starter, its about a flight school requiring a medical to train to be a sport pilot in a flight school requiring the medical just to get into the school.[/quote]

Actually, this what the school says it REQUIRES:-

Hold a Medical Certificate (Note: The FAA requires at least a Driver’s License, but GCA policy is for all students and renters to posses a current medical)

Note: see also the link the thread starter posted in the initial post, as well as his quote of the requirement.
designrs

Post by designrs »

It would be real interesting to find out if the flight school itself sets the policy voluntarily, or is it forced by an insurance company? ...and is there any common denominator due to the Cessna Center affiliation?
Last edited by designrs on Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.