Sport Pilot Schools that Require a Medical - Help Stop This

Here's the place to ask all of your medical questions. But don't believe everything you read!

Moderator: drseti

designrs

Sport Pilot Schools that Require a Medical - Help Stop This

Post by designrs »

Here's one from website:
http://neworleansairplanes.com/flight-training/sport/

Personal Requirement # 3
"Hold a Medical Certificate (Note: The FAA requires at least a Driver’s License, but GCA policy is for all students and renters to posses a current medical)"

Email contact:
[email protected]

How do you feel about a flight school or insurance regs that baselessly require a medical for LSA training in direct contradiction to FAA regulations?
Reach out and send them some email!
CharlieTango

Re: Sport Pilot Schools that Require a Medical - Help Stop T

Post by CharlieTango »

It is a free country, why can't they operate their business as they see fit?

They are not in conflict with the FAA it is their aircraft right?
designrs

Post by designrs »

It would be interesting to find out the reasons why such attempt to require a medical. It's a free country to voice opposition to such baseless policies. In many cases such policy it might not only be in conflict with the FAA but also the American Disability Act (ADA)... which would certainly override "the right to conduct business as they see fit".

Plus, it's just backward thinking (if not pure ignorance) as there is a petition before the FAA to eliminate medical requirement of most certified aircraft under 180hp.

What if every LSA flight school and insurance company required a medical?
What do we as as Sport Pilot Community have to say about this?
What would that do to the LSA pilot community?
designrs

Post by designrs »

CharlieTango wrote:It is a free country, why can't they operate their business as they see fit?
It's the same as saying, "Well I'm not going to rent my apartment to a guy in a wheelchair because if he falls over in the bathtub I can be sued! Or actually, I would rent to him, but my insurance company will not allow it. So sorry!"

OK, granted, that's a more extreme case example (which by the way does apply to some pilots), but the precedent is the same for any pilot who may, for whatever reason, choose not to renew or apply for a medical, yet is totally safe to fly according to FAA rules.
CharlieTango wrote:They are not in conflict with the FAA it is their aircraft right?
They are in conflict with the FAA... and it is completely baseless!
It is discriminatory, and it should be illegal!
Last edited by designrs on Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

You would force me to rent aircraft to blind men to not violate the ADA?

There is no conflict with the FAA, they don't force risk upon me.
designrs

Post by designrs »

CharlieTango wrote:You would force me to rent aircraft to blind men to not violate the ADA?
A blind pilot would not qualify under the driver's license medical.
The ADA would require reasonable accommodation...
perhaps sending him up safely with an instructor and letting him fly the airplane by feel, or voice announce aviation applications.

This discussion is talking about Sport Pilots or Prospective Sport Pilots with a "driver's license medical" who are in full compliance with FAA regulations.
Last edited by designrs on Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

designrs wrote:
CharlieTango wrote:You would force me to rent aircraft to blind men to not violate the ADA?
This discussion is talking about Sport Pilots or Prospective Sport Pilots with a "driver's license medical".
This discussion is about shutting down or forcing change on a privately owned flight school.

Government finds new ways to stop small business every day. Anyone can get a drivers license, it is a very low bar, why should I base my risk on the DMV?
designrs

Post by designrs »

CharlieTango wrote:This discussion is about shutting down or forcing change on a privately owned flight school.

Government finds new ways to stop small business every day. Anyone can get a drivers license, it is a very low bar, why should I base my risk on the DMV?
The last thing we would want to see is a flight school shut down, which is certainly not the intent. I'm really interested in seeing the reasons why a flight school might have this policy, and in opening a discourse on the topic. A medical requirement for LSA will limit business for sure! Perhaps they might say, "We'd love to have students fly on a driver's license medical, but our insurance will not let us." In that case the business is forced the other way by policy.

I'll give you points for this reply Charlie. Thank you.
Let's see where others chime in at on this discussion.
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

designrs wrote: I'll give you points for this reply Charlie. Thank you.
Let's see where others chime in at on this discussion.

When you quote me in 3 consecutive posts I figure you are talking to me, guess you just need the last word?
designrs wrote:
CharlieTango wrote:...
..perhaps sending him up safely with an instructor and letting him fly the airplane by feel, or voice announce aviation applications...
Now there's a business model to force on someone that is conservative about risk!

Canada, Mexico and most of the world see a medical requirement as necessary. If this small business has the same need before they rent someone an aircraft it is there choice. If you want to accuse them of non-compliance with FAA requirements at least name the requirement.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

The insurance company I had when I first started sport pilot training would allow for a sport pilot student to fly with just a drivers' license, but when they got their certificate they required a medical. There are some strange policies out there.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Actually, I'm perfectly happy to see other flight schools adopt such restrictive policies. It just sends more students my way. :wink:
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

drseti wrote:Actually, I'm perfectly happy to see other flight schools adopt such restrictive policies. It just sends more students my way. :wink:
If it's their business model then maybe it's flawed. As a SP using a driver's license I would simply pass on them and give my business to someone else.

I don't see the point of renting out LSA if they then require a medical. Might as well rent a bigger airplane as a PPL and have done with it.

Makes me wonder how these folks are actually in business...one local school near me has an LSA but doesn't like 'renters' (?) and prefers 'student's for his new fangled school. trouble is...his LSA is hardly flying; only a few hours scheduled in Sept so far.

At some point I would imagine the school will wonder...how's this restrictive rental policy working for us?
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

CTLSi wrote:The FAA makes the rules. And the rule for sport pilot training is DRIVERS LICENSE, not full medical exam. This school is violating the rules. It should be challenged by the FAA.

Or not be allowed to operate on a public airport. The public owns the airport, not the school, and if they are violating FAA rules they should not be allowed to operate on one.
I don't believe SP flying REQUIRES a medical rather it states that a Sport pilot MAY fly with a valid drivers license . If the school REQUIRES a medical then so be it, either rent from them WITH a medical or take your business elsewhere.

With the amount of pilots renting these days and GA student starts at a low level, I can;t see the business sense. I'm sure it's to do with the school's insurance liabilities or simply their preference.
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.