Farting as gain altitude ~MD's give you the A-OK

Here's the place to ask all of your medical questions. But don't believe everything you read!

Moderator: drseti

ussyorktown

Farting as gain altitude ~MD's give you the A-OK

Post by ussyorktown »

(Because of my loud Rotex engine, I don't fear that any sound that I emit will offend)

Scientists clear passengers to fart on flights
By QMI Agency

We don't need this kind of encouragement.Image

In their report titled, 'Flatulence On Airplanes: Just Let It Go,' published in the New Zealand Medical Journal Friday, a team of British and Danish gastroenterologists suggest it's healthier to pass wind than fight the turbulence brewing within.Image

We tend to fart more on a plane because of changes in the volume of intestinal gasses as cabin pressure changes, they said, and restraining gas could lead to a raft of "significant drawbacks" including discomfort, pain, bloating, indigestion, stress and heartburn.

As well, battling the body's need to break wind could be problematic for those afflicted with fart incontinence or those who had fallen asleep, leaving both groups open to the embarrassment of involuntary farts triggered by turbulence, coughing and sneezing.

Other than assaulting fellow passengers' nasal passages, taking the advice of the researchers has other drawbacks.

"Obviously, proximity to other passengers may cause conflict and stigmatization of the flatulating individual," the team said.Image
designrs

Re: Farting as gain altitude ~MD's give you the A-OK

Post by designrs »

Funny, I never really feel the urge to fart while flying. I think farting it has more to do with chemistry (after eating burritos) than air pressure change with altitude.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Moved to "medical issues" on the assumption the original poster was actually interested in the medical implications, not just the perceived humorous aspects of the topic.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
ussyorktown

Post by ussyorktown »

Thanks Mom.
newamiga

Post by newamiga »

Funny they used to tell us to not eat pizza and greasy gas inducing foods the night before our altitude chamber rides when I was in the USAF. That of course was a challenge to see who could be the most flatulent in the chamber the next day. Trust me there is definitely a correlation between altitude, pressure and pizza consumption with flatulence :)

Carl
Private Pilot and RV-12 Builder