EAA AOPA medical proposal

Here's the place to ask all of your medical questions. But don't believe everything you read!

Moderator: drseti

MovingOn

Re: EAA AOPA medical proposal

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

MovingOn wrote:There is nothing snarky about suggesting you and Rand Paul might want to start your own country. What you are suggesting is not going to happen here. You can argue the merits of Libertarianism all day long, but you are not going to convince me, and you aren't going to convince many others either.
At 97 ( assuming I'm a deteriorating 97 year old ) you want a guarantee that the FAA will step in and make me stop flying. Would that be about the time that you would want the Obamacare bureaucrat to prevent procedures in favor of pain killers?

Universal Obama: Maybe You're "Better Off" Taking Painkillers And Forgoing Surgery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WnxsuVqSo8
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InformalGreeting

Post by InformalGreeting »

MovingOn wrote:Maybe you and Rand Paul can move to an island somewhere and start your own country.
People with the ideals put forward here did start their own country. They called it The United States of America.
MovingOn wrote:You sound like Sarah Palin.

I guess anybody that can't afford to pay for their own healthcare doesn't deserve healthcare.
I will never tell another person what they do, or do not, deserve. However I do know it isn't my duty to pay for the health care of anyone other than my family and myself. If I choose to give to those in need that is my choice. Being forced to is called theft, plain and simple.
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InformalGreeting

Post by InformalGreeting »

Funny, but that ever shrinking minority of conservatives still out number the liberals.

In honesty, I don't think anybody wants to go back to 1776. But at the same time we don't need to give the government the authority to regulate every aspect of our lives. The fact that the third class medical exists shows that our government has run amok. Many in the aviation community are aware of an AME that goes by Dr. Bruce on forums. If you have a medical issue there's a better than average chance that he'll still get you through the medical- proving that the medical process is a sham that does nothing more than give self important bureaucrats the ability to assert their influence over the public they are supposed to be serving.

As an aside I find it hilarious that on a sport pilot forum people would argue for medicals. By definition sport pilots do not have to have them. (I understand that many are here for the aircraft and not the certification- but the humor is still present.) I guess flying a 1320 pound airplane with 1 passenger is safe without a medical but flying a 1400 pound aircraft with two passengers would lead to widespread death and destruction.
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

MovingOn wrote:I haven't seen anyone here arguing for FAA medicals for Sport Pilots or other pilots operating with Sport Pilot priviledges. I only questioned how to ground old pilots when they no longer have the skills to fly safely. By then, they also don't have the good judgement to ground themselves in many cases. I have seen an old guy pull up and stop at a green light and go when it turned red. It is very naive to think a utopian, Libertarian view of the world will solve all problems.

You should go back and read the last several pages of this thread if you think I am in favor of FAA medicals for Sport Pilots. I am in favor of expanding privileges for certified pilots flying with Sport Pilot privileges.
How does a person stop driving when they are no longer safe? I would submit that the majority reach that decision themselves. Some, the family has to step in. For a few, a doctor gets involved. For a very few, some sort of governmental intervention is required. Should there be a universal requirement for all drivers over XX years old to have their fitness to drive evaluated because of those very few? I don't believe so. Can not the same process work for in a DL medical scenario?
- Bruce
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

MovingOn wrote:There is nothing snarky about suggesting you and Rand Paul might want to start your own country. What you are suggesting is not going to happen here. You can argue the merits of Libertarianism all day long, but you are not going to convince me, and you aren't going to convince many others either.
And you still have not addressed a single point I presented. Saying "you are not going to convince me or many others" is not a political or philosophical argument, it's a defensive one. It indicates a closed mind. I'd happily listen to and respond to any argument you put forth, without saying maybe you and Maxine Waters ought to star a commune together.

It's a lot of work to come up with a consistent political/social philosophy you can articulate to others, so most don't bother. But in these kinds of discussions it leaves them at a severe disadvantage.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

MovingOn wrote:But we're not going back to 1776. Most of us have progressed and moved forward since then. An ever shrinking minority tries to hang onto the "good-ole-days." Those days weren't that good for many Americans.
But that is the falsehood. We have progressed technologically since 1776, but human nature EXACTLY the same. The great thing about the US Constitution is it recognizes human nature and seeks to limit the damage that the worst aspects of human nature can cause, by separating power and pushing most power down to the states and the people through the 9th and 10th Amendments.

Since then there has been steady accumulation of federal power far beyond what was intended. In this regard we have gone backward since 1776. People in general are less free by far then they were in that time. Heck, I can name ten perfectly peaceful and innocuous acts that you could perform in 1950 that would land you in federal prison today.

We are going backward, but we are looking in the rear view mirror to convince ourselves that we are really moving forward.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

MovingOn wrote:I don't have to justify my political positions to you. I am a proud liberal. I actually met Maxine Waters at the Democratic Convention in Charlotte where I was working security. We almost got in a fight because I would not let one of her people in without proper credentials. After she left, a Secret Service guy came over and told me I was exactly correct in how I handled it.
Are you kidding me? Of course you don't have to justify anything to anybody, but your "Tea Party" comment dragged this whole thread into politics, then you get all bent out of shape because people take you to task on it? Good golly man, grow a pair and learn to back up your smartass mouth with a little fact and reasoning.

So you are a proud liberal, even met Maxine Waters and got a pat on the head from the Secret Service, bully for you. What does being a liberal MEAN to you? From this discussion I'm guessing it's just a buzzword to you that means you hate conservatives, like Ford vs. Chevy or Coke vs Pepsi. I never asked you to justify anything; I asked you to explain your stance so we could have a civil discussion. Instead you got insulting and then defensive. You still have not said one word about what you believe.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

MovingOn wrote:I'm not sure minorities and women would agree. I'm sure many older, white, well heeled males might agree with you.
Again, the snark with nothing to back it up. What do you mean by that? That there was inequality in the original Constitution? Why yes. Slaves and Indians were counted as 3/5 of a person for census purposes. Would you have counted them as as whole persons? Yes? GREAT! You have just agreed with all of the slave states.

You see, apportionment of US House of Representatives is based on the census numbers. The free states wanted the slaves not counted at all, because it would reduce the number of House seats to the slave states, and then eventually slavery could be repealed. The slaves states wanted slaves counted as whole persons, so that they would have more House seats to cement their power and keep slavery in place forever. The 3/5 number was the compromise to keep the peace. Most of the founders wanted slavery repealed, but the southern states would break away if that were to happen, and then the Brits would have rolled us like a cheap carpet. So they put off the slavery question for another day. That day came in 1860.

But women could not vote! Yes, that is true. However, look at the world in 1776. In most places NOBODY could vote, self government had been dead 1500 years since the end of the Roman Republic. In England, women could not even own property, which they could immediately in the US under the new Constitution. So by any standard of the time, the US was a beacon of freedom and liberty.

Both the slavery and womens' voting rights issues were solved by Amending the US Constitution. The process of fixing problems like this is built into the document in the Amendment process. If you can get an Amendment passed in the Congress, and ratified by 2/3 of the States, then it becomes law.

So I don't see how the Constitution only benefits well heeled white guys. That is is historical revisionism. Sounds good in a drive-by snarking though!
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI