EAA AOPA medical proposal

Here's the place to ask all of your medical questions. But don't believe everything you read!

Moderator: drseti

FrankR

Re: EAA AOPA medical proposal

Post by FrankR »

I think Congress's threat of involvement is a good thing, even if it is unsuccessful.

The last thing a bureaucrat wants is Congressional involvement. The one thing the bureaucrat wants is control.

In the past, this type of thing has led to bureaucrats trying to cut the knees out of Congress by passing something "short of" what Congress wants. This shows "movement" and allows the bureaucrats to retain control of the output.
Frank
Fayetteville, NC
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

FrankR wrote:
Jack Tyler wrote:Elected folks in DC depend almost not at all on written correspondence these days; I'm told the screening time for snail mail to Reps & Senators is measured in multiple weeks due to anthrax and related scares. So that leaves us with an email, a phone call and/or a visit to the local congressional office if voicing an opinion about legislation.
https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/113/hr3708
This link will allow you to indicate your support for HR3708. It sends your message straight to your congress-critter. I know they get it because I always get that form letter back.

I know that putting the proper tick in the proper column is very important because congress-critter staff has told me. I have seen a critter's vote change because of ticks on a yellow pad. You don't need to do any more. Pontificating makes me feel good but only makes the HS student compiling the list to put an asterisk next to my tick. Phone calls generate a tick also.

Your message needs to have three things: 1) the bill number (don't make the HS student think); 2) the word: SUPPORT or OPPOSE; and 3) if you are in their district, let them know.
Done. Thanks for the link.
- Bruce
drseti

Post by drseti »

Also done. I note that the posts are 98% supporting, 2% opposing. I also recognize several of you from your comments - thanks for posting them!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Re: here's what I sent to my senators and representative:

Post by drseti »

As a career educator, an aviator for half a century, and an FAA Safety volunteer for more than 30 years with a Ph.D. in
aviation safety, I am uniquely qualified to assess the safety implications of the FAA's medical policies. It is difficult
to collect scientifically valid data, but ample anecdotal evidence suggests that current rules actually DIMINISH safety.
Pilots with potentially life-threatening medical conditions are incentivized NOT to seek treatment, lest they lose their
flying privileges when such treatment becomes a matter of record. However, treating many those very conditions which are
now medically disqualifying would result in their no longer presenting a hazard to safe flight! Thus, the present system
jeopardizes both pilot health and public safety. Eliminate the Third Class medical certificate for non-commercial flying!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

So don't tell me, tell your congresspersons! :)
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

"One medical exam every two years provides NO assurance that a pilot will be medically fit on the day of flight."

Great comment Jack!
Aviation Real Estate Broker
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

I sent 3 letters to my NJ Congressmen on the EAA Rally Congress website supporting the General Aviation Pilot Protection Act a few days ago around the time Senate came up with their own identical version of the bill to the House.

I would definitely love to see this pass, and I would surely take advantage of the bill if I could. Problem is would I have the time and money to pay for extra hours to become a PPL and I am wondering what would Art think of this bill? Does Art know about this bill dresti?
drseti

Post by drseti »

N918KT wrote: would I have the time and money to pay for extra hours to become a PPL
Fortunately, you don't have to make that decision now. You really don't want to be waiting around for for congress to act; by the time they do, you could be too old to fly! I would recommend that you complete your Sport Pilot rating, and then when you can afford to, you can do the four add-on modules for the Private. To see wht is generally required for Sport Pilots to upgrade to Private, see:
http://avsport.org/about/upsize.htm
and I am wondering what would Art think of this bill? Does Art know about this bill dresti?
I haven't talked to Art about the proposal, so I can't speak for him. However, I can't imagine that he wouldn't support it; anything this obviously beneficial to general aviation is good for all of us.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

This probably belongs in a thread about the House & Senate bills which would greatly expand the privileges of a PPL with no Class III medical beyond the EAA/AOPA proposal, but let me mention it here as well.

First, letters take weeks to reach a member of Congress. Some of our Board members go to DC on a regular basis (and on their own dime, I might add) to meet with USFS, NPS and BLM officials as well as Representatives & Senators. The various scares associated with the U.S. mail - and the screening required as a result of it - means many weeks of delay before receiving what we write. It's all about email and phone calls now. Besides, writing a letter takes time most folks probably don't think they have...and so they do nothing.

OTOH every Rep/Senator's office is set-up to receive "bill support" calls and making those calls couldn't be simpler. When I got my AOPA letter the other day, giving me my 3 congressional members (Rubio and Nelson plus the technicolor-dressed Corrine Brown), I made all 3 calls while waiting for my Dentist. Each call took less than a minute, my support was ticked in the right box, my reason was noted. Rather than allow the call to be ended at that point, I made this final comment: "I know Senator/Rep X is aware aviation is a very important economic engine for Florida. I would hope s/he becomes a co-sponsor on the bill."

Do such calls make a difference? Probably in some very, very small but cumulatively beneficial way. A lobbyist friend who works the Southeast legislatures told me that, at the state level, when a Rep's or Senator's office gets 50 calls on a given subject, the issue will normally get immediately elevated to the official. That's because of how few people actually voice their opinion.

So has everyone here made their 3 x 60 second calls on behalf of the House & Senate bills? I think most of us realize the legislation isn't going to be enacted as written, but that its main contribution might be to leverage some (hopefully favorable) action from the FAA on the proposal being discussed here. Common on, folks. Speak up.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
FrankR

Post by FrankR »

Here's the link for the new Senate bill:

https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/113/s2103

Popvox sends your comments to your legislators.
Frank
Fayetteville, NC
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Thanks for the link, Frank. I did post a 'vote'...but noticed only 8 other folks had done so, so far.

I'm sure these 'legislative view aggregators' can't do any harm, but a Congressperson is going to care more about constituent calls that come to their own offices (district office or DC) than aggregators. In fact now that I think about it, we could choose to call each regional office of each of our two Senators and express support for the same Bill. Identities are not established during the call, just the caller's position on the Bill.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

Jack Tyler wrote:Thanks for the link, Frank. I did post a 'vote'...but noticed only 8 other folks had done so, so far.
10 so far.
- Bruce
FrankR

Post by FrankR »

Jack Tyler wrote:Thanks for the link, Frank. I did post a 'vote'...but noticed only 8 other folks had done so, so far.

I'm sure these 'legislative view aggregators' can't do any harm, but a Congressperson is going to care more about constituent calls that come to their own offices (district office or DC) than aggregators. In fact now that I think about it, we could choose to call each regional office of each of our two Senators and express support for the same Bill. Identities are not established during the call, just the caller's position on the Bill.
I get letters back from the critters when I use Popvox. They are form letters but they seem to be counted...

As to the quantity of votes... Feel free to post the link on your Facebook page of fellow pilots. It's a new "social media" world.
Frank
Fayetteville, NC