EAA AOPA medical proposal

Here's the place to ask all of your medical questions. But don't believe everything you read!

Moderator: drseti

Nomore767

Re: EAA AOPA medical proposal

Post by Nomore767 »

With the big airlines poised to start hiring pilots off the street my guess is that the future of planes like the Cessna 172 will be at schools with programs designed for young pilots seeking the airline pilot route. Schools will buy fleets of brand new 172s and try to design the glass cockpit into formats similar to airliners and make greater use of airline style checklists.
As a way of reducing expenses, and to build hours, schools may use a C162 type LSA. Some schools seem to do that now, and are usually the ones requiring medicals even to fly the C162.

I think not only will the LSA manufacturers go through multiple shakeouts but so will the LSA products as they better define the 'missions' of LSA pilots. Providing more options, and customizing, means offering planes at different prices. I believe both Remos and Flight Design offer "Lite" models of their GX and CTLS planes.

If this path is chosen then the 'need' for the driver's license in lieu of an FAA medical may slacken as more affordable modern LSAs become available which also meet more 'missions.'
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

David Pavlich wrote:
CTLSi wrote:What are you going to fly if you could get a PP? A Cessna 172? You will be spending double the money, flying at the same speeds, and having half the fun if you fly in a modern, sleek, low fuel burning, CTLS.

The ability to fly 400 miles at 120kts burning less than 10 gallons of auto gas at around $35 cost and getting there in less than 2.5 hrs can only be achieved in a CTLS or an LSA like it.

Get your SP and get going.
Well, one thought was a Diamond DA20. Fairly economical, cruise is around 135 kts at 75% and 5.5 gph and 600 lbs of useful load. From my research, the only S-LSA that can truly run at 120 kts steady is the Arion Lightning and that's with the Jabiru engine. How many places can you take this bird to and have an A&P that's worked on them? Another somewhat negative forthe Lightning is the same with the Skycatcher and that's a fairly substantial empty weight. Not a whole lot of fudge factor if you want to take a passenger cross country with bags. Solo, the Lightning would be terrific.

I'm doing the horse before the cart thing, but that's just me. I do this with anything I intend to endeavor. Don't take my thoughts the wrong way. If I can finally get my Sport certificate, there will be a smile the mortician won't get off when I assume room temperature, whenever that is.

One thing about S-LSAs, there's a lot of really nice choices out there. The only concern I can see is that there are so many, I question how all of them can survive. Tecnam is a big company that's been around a LONG time and will certainly be around. Flight Design is also doing quite well. Anyway, if the day comes, it's going to a great time for me.

David
The Aeron Lightnig meets the definition of a light sport with a wink, nod, and a placard.
designrs

Post by designrs »

Special Announcement today from AOPA ePilot:

"After nearly two years of FAA inaction on the AOPA/EAA third-class medical petition, Congress has taken matters into its own hands, offering up legislation that would vastly expand the number of pilots who could fly without going through the expensive and time-consuming third-class medical certification process. Reps. Todd Rokita (R-Ind.), a member of the House General Aviation Caucus, and GA Caucus Co-Chair Sam Graves (R-Mo.) on Dec. 11 introduced the General Aviation Pilot Protection Act. The legislation would dramatically expand the parameters for flying under the driver's license medical standard. Rokita and Graves are both AOPA members and active pilots....."

(more article direct from AOPA)

Now that it is before Congress, and not the FAA, think it will happen anytime soon?
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

I try not to be a pessimist, but the most I can hope for is that this bill will cause some movement on the AOPA/EAA proposal, then this bill dies quietly in committee. Or it just dies.
- Bruce
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

EAA (and AOPA?) is the (one of?) instigator behind the bill. They were dissappointed in the lack of action on the EAA/AOPA proposal. They will be reaching out to their members to contact their Congressmen after the Christmas break to push the bill forward. The bill will have a good chance if the GA Caucus gets behind it: http://www.nbaa.org/advocacy/ga-caucus.
dave
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

If the FAA, part of the Executive Branch, opposes this bill, then I would expect the president to veto it (if it even got that far). The Senate has overridden 0 (zero) vetoes of this President. None. Overriding a veto, when the majority of the Senate is of the same party as the President uses up a good bit of political capital. They're not going to expend that on this. I just can't see it happening. I hope I'm wrong. I really really hope I'm wrong.
- Bruce
drseti

Post by drseti »

I think you are wrong in this case, Bruce (at least I hope you are). This proposal poses no ideological issues for the present administration. I doubt that the WH would expend political capital opposing it, when they perceive that there are more important battles to be won. In fact, this may even be seen as a bone they can throw to the opposition.

Then again, I may be thinking like a rational democrat (there still are a few of us left). :wink:
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Wait...

...is not "Rational Democrat" an oxymoron? :twisted:
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

<Political> no more than "insane Republican"'is, Eddie. we've got to get past this petty partisanship and concentrate on issues!</political>
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

drseti wrote:I think you are wrong in this case, Bruce (at least I hope you are). This proposal poses no ideological issues for the present administration. I doubt that the WH would expend political capital opposing it, when they perceive that there are more important battles to be won. In fact, this may even be seen as a bone they can throw to the opposition.

Then again, I may be thinking like a rational democrat (there still are a few of us left). :wink:
I hope I'm wrong, too. The administration wouldn't take any heat at all. All that would take is for the Senate Majority Leader to never bring it up for vote in the Senate. It can die quietly in committee as hundreds of bills do.
- Bruce
drseti

Post by drseti »

Apparently, the way good proposals die quietly is to submit them to the FAA.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
designrs

Post by designrs »

FlyingForFun wrote:Please don't turn this site into a political argument. I am already pissed just reading a few of these post.
+1 I have some very strong political feelings as well, and am restraining myself from stating them here.