Article: Sport pilots beware - your non-FAA medical can bite

Here's the place to ask all of your medical questions. But don't believe everything you read!

Moderator: drseti

allstar

Post by allstar »

What the law says:
"Not know or have reason to know of any medical condition that would make that person unable to operate a light-sport aircraft in a safe manner."
What the law DOES NOT say:
"Not know or have reason to know of any medical condition that would cause rejection for a 3rd class medical."

Diabetes might cause rejection for a medical certificate. As a sport pilot CFI, I would have no problem soloing a diabetic provided the condition is closely monitored and cared for. In this instance, I would make sure the student visits his doctor on a regular basis, keeps on top of his diet and exercise and takes any medication. I would also recommend taking a blood sugar reading before each flight as part of the IMSAFE procedure.

Here's why that law was written: Should a pilot fly an airplane while sick or injured, and that illness or injury is a factor in an accident, the FAA now has a law they can cite in court. "You violated FAR exty-ex point ex."

Finally, I'll cite the thousands of private pilots and above who have straight-up lied to their AME's and go on to not have accidents as evidence that [what is unsafe] and [what is disqualifying] are two overlapping but different sets of things. I'll also bet my gold wings that fewer sport pilots have lied on a medical application than private pilots.
fredg

Post by fredg »

I agree with your interpretation of the driver license medical requirement for SP. I have serious reservations about your suggestions for a diabetic student.

How often is "regular"? How will you assess whether the student is in compliance with his diet, exercise, and medications? What blood sugar do you want before flight? Does that one blood sugar measure tell you if the sugar is rising or falling?

What about Parkinson's Disease? Emphysema? Do you want CFIs to have to make these judgments? I respectfully suggest that the intent is for the pilot to self-asses, not for the CFIs to decide for him or her. The CFI should teach the student how to self assess, not to assess for them.

My opinions only, not intended to be legal advice or pilot training.
FredG
Iowa City
ka7eej

Post by ka7eej »

Mr. Millers states:::

"The word on the street for wannabe sport pilots is, don't take an FAA medical examination if you think you may not pass it. The part that bites is, if you know or have reason to believe that you cannot, in fact, pass an FAA medical, then you are NOT eligible for a Sport Pilot certificate. "

Using his alarmest logic might suggest that when you do pass a 3rd class medical you will never have any type of medical situation occur while you are flying just because you passed...

Gotta love Mr Miller....
Brian
Owner of N3081X (Cover Girl) A Beautiful Allegro 2000 as seen on the cover and inside of several magazines!!
drseti

Post by drseti »

Moving this thread to the new "Medical Issues" forum.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
skycatcherflyer

Post by skycatcherflyer »

I think the FAA should get rid of the medical exam for private pilot completely, only class of pilot license that should need a medical exam is commercial and atp. I have no problems passing the medical but really do not like being forced to have a physical. due to family medical history the physical involves a prostate and other examinations that are quite uncomfortable and i dont think I should be forced to have one just so I can enjoy my hobby... if i was flying commercial or an airline pilot it would be understandable since I would be flying passengers or cargo. the only other pilots who should have to possibly have a medical is turbine and multi engine pilots.