Renting/Owneing/Flying 4-place a/c without a Medical

Here's the place to ask all of your medical questions. But don't believe everything you read!

Moderator: drseti

KSCessnaDriver

Post by KSCessnaDriver »

designrs wrote:This is going to sound simplistic, but what's the big overwhelming concern of the FAA about medical requirements for private pilots, 2 persons max permitted, under 10,000 feet, not high-performance aircraft?

LSA has proven the low risk of any medical related incidents, and that self assessment works.

We are not talking about military or commercial pilots here.
Where did this huge importance placed on the medical come from?
Because they will be operating with military and commercial pilots. Like it or not, GA isn't the force it may have been in the past, nor is it likely to be that way again. In my opinion, we are 1 incident away from getting GA locked down even more.

I do not support the no medical for private pilot movement. The more I've thought about it, the more I wonder about no medical for sport pilot even.
KSCessnaDriver (ATP MEL, Commerical LTA-Airship/SEL, Private SES, CFI/CFII)
LSA's flown: Remos G3, Flight Design CTSW, Aeronca L-16, Jabiru J170
Mark Gregor

Post by Mark Gregor »

Cessnadriver,

would you be willing to to state the reason for your opposition the EAA AOPA proposal?

Just curious.
KSCessnaDriver

Post by KSCessnaDriver »

I feel that it opens GA up to a lot of potential bad press. One wreck with a non-medically certified pilot and the press will eat general aviation alive. Additionally, I feel that doing a no medical to be a private pilot will bring a lot of people who aren't fit to fly, especially with certain mental disorders (such as ADD, ADHD, etc...)
KSCessnaDriver (ATP MEL, Commerical LTA-Airship/SEL, Private SES, CFI/CFII)
LSA's flown: Remos G3, Flight Design CTSW, Aeronca L-16, Jabiru J170
designrs

Post by designrs »

Wow! First opposition to the medical proposal that I had ever heard!

No medical really isn't a risky proposition.
Don't give the meda and press any ideas!
designrs

Post by designrs »

But really, is imposing very large and unessasary burden of the medical on tens of thousands of private pilots sensible in light of such a low risk factor?
jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

KSCessnaDriver wrote:I feel that it opens GA up to a lot of potential bad press. One wreck with a non-medically certified pilot and the press will eat general aviation alive. Additionally, I feel that doing a no medical to be a private pilot will bring a lot of people who aren't fit to fly, especially with certain mental disorders (such as ADD, ADHD, etc...)
Would you recommend that the current very long standing requirement for no medical at all - not even a driver's license - for gliders should be rescinded? If so, do you base that on glider accident statistics from NTSB reports that confirmed medical incapacitation or causality?
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

I think PPL should have a drivers license medical because I think it will increase student pilot starts, increase the activity of GA, and increase the pilot population. Plus, it will increases sales of used GA aircraft, more fuel sales, and other good things that the pilots, student pilots, FBOs, and other aviation businesses would benefit from.
Doss79

Post by Doss79 »

Disagree.

Just need to bring back non-ethanol fuel and we'll be good to go.
drseti

Re: Renting/Owneing/Flying 4-place a/c without a Medical

Post by drseti »

Jack Tyler wrote:(Unfortunately, there's no appropriate category for this subject...)
Actually, Jack, now there is. I'm moving this thread to the Medical Issues forum.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Thanks (once again) for your stewardship, Paul.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
drseti

Post by drseti »

EAA chairman Jack Pelton, cited in today's AVweb Flash:
Pelton also said he's "a little bit pessimistic" about getting the EAA/AOPA Class III medical exemption request approved.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDe ... 0350-16252

Hey all, seems that a final decision on this medical exemption thing isn't too far away. I have known about this news for a couple days now, but decided to keep it a secret. I don't know how many of you saw these 2 documents posted until I let you guys know today.
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

There's hardly anything about the meeting that needs to be held in confidence. As is typical of Craig Fuller, I found him very forthcoming on this topic when I spoke with him at Sun 'n Fun a few days ago. The recent meeting was requested by EAA and AOPA for several straightforward reasons: the long period without an FAA decision, the logical question of how sequestration will affect the decision, and placing additional perspective before the Administrator (along with his attorneys and relevant staff) on the proposal. (Look at the last page in the second document cited in the post above. You can see how AOPA/EAA is positioning the no-medical proposal within the broader Department of Transportation licensing hierarchy, where medical requirements are aligned with complexity and risk in a way that is consistent with the no-medical proposal.

After the meeting, Pelton (EAA Chairman) expressed to AvWeb his own pessimism about the proposal being accepted by the FAA, which is where the 'it's ready to be disapproved by the FAA' impression comes from. What wasn't mentioned by Pelton was the new suggestion to Huerta & his staff about an interim phase where the proposal is evaluated in some fashion, for a specified period of time and with a suitable cross-section of the relevant pilot community, which is something the FAA hadn't heard before and which seemed to generate interest. As I understand it, the basic logic was this: Neither the EAA or AOPA would propose something that they think would harm their own members, the petition has received more (and more positive) pilot input than any former proposal ever received, and the recent LSA/SP data supports the proposal. Given all that, if you have reservations why wouldn't you test them for a period of time before dismissing the proposal?

It's easy to see how the discussion's dynamic sounds defensive of the proposal and suggests pessimism. OTOH Huerta apparently acknowledged that was an idea that deserved their attention and he was open to considering it. Glass half full or half empty? Given that it's always been viewed as a low-probability win and it comes on the heels of many previous proposals that (unsuccessfully) tried to ease regulatory demands on recreational pilots, I haven't seen or heard anything about that meeting that sounds significantly different.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

AOPA's article: http://www.aopa.org/sunnfun/2013/130413 ... =News:S1RM

Sounds more pessimistic to me but the trial period angle provides a potential middle ground.
dave