Good argument for removing the 3rd class medical

Here's the place to ask all of your medical questions. But don't believe everything you read!

Moderator: drseti

Mark Gregor

Good argument for removing the 3rd class medical

Post by Mark Gregor »

http://macsblog.com/

Hope this works as Im pushing my limited computer skills here.

Jake
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

Interesting article! I don't understand why Craig Fuller of AOPA didn't do something about helping eliminating 3rd class medicals? AOPA should definitely do something about it!!!
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

I'd guess that the AOPA would be conflicted on the issue.

One of their highly touted benefits is helping you get and keep your medical.
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

I guess everyone is too afraid to do it. Frankly I'm even afraid to ask the FAA or AOPA to eliminate the 3rd class medical. I'm guessing that if I ask someone to change the FAA medical law, I might get in trouble or something bad to me may happen. I guess most pilots are afraid that they will open themselves to "slings and arrows". It's like the Miranda rights (you have the right to remain silent). When the police arrest someone they tell them that they have the right to remain silent and anything that they say will be held against the suspect. That's why many pilots are too afraid like me to say anything about the 3rd class medical.
zaitcev

Post by zaitcev »

You already are an SP, what have you got to lose?
zdc

Post by zdc »

Obama has just announced that all Federal agencies are to review their regs and get rid of the ones that don't make sense. Since the FAA now has statistics for a non medical pilot population [SP] it could easily justify dropping the 3rd class for pilots of small non commercial acft. It would also be a money saver for the FAA. We'll see what happens.
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

How long would the regulation review take, if the FAA might plan to eliminate 3rd class medical rules?
pilotgary111

Post by pilotgary111 »

Get rid of the Sport Pilot Catch-22 and free up many grounded pilots who would love to FLY again just for FUN!
former USAF KC-135A pilot..now gliders and a SP wanna-be
Commercial, ASEL-MEL-Instrument
A&P Mechanic
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

Good point Gary. I wonder if eliminating 3rd class rules also eliminates the SP catch 22. I hope it would!!!!
KSCessnaDriver

Post by KSCessnaDriver »

See, the other thing people haven't considered with eliminating the medical, is the potential issues it could cause with ICAO. The FAA has been moving more and more towards using the basic ICAO standards on everything (Position & Hold vs Line Up & Wait). I'm nearly 99% sure that if we have private pilot certificates without medicals, they are not going to be recognized by ICAO. Then who knows what happens from there.
KSCessnaDriver (ATP MEL, Commerical LTA-Airship/SEL, Private SES, CFI/CFII)
LSA's flown: Remos G3, Flight Design CTSW, Aeronca L-16, Jabiru J170
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

The ICAO thing could be handled like the radio license. Just carry a valid medical cert when you leave the country.
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

KSCessnaDriver, I see your point. You maybe right on that part that a medical is required to fly out of the U.S. I don't know about this but my belief is that if it changed that PPLs don't need to have 3rd class medicals but a U.S. driver's license, maybe the only country outside the U.S. they can go without a 3rd class is to the Bahamas, because the Bahamas already accepts Sport Pilots with a driver's license medical.
KSCessnaDriver

Post by KSCessnaDriver »

Jim Stewart wrote:The ICAO thing could be handled like the radio license. Just carry a valid medical cert when you leave the country.
I know that is entirely possible, I'm just saying with the recent FAA movings to ICAO standards, I don't see them doing something so fundamentally against ICAO standards.
KSCessnaDriver (ATP MEL, Commerical LTA-Airship/SEL, Private SES, CFI/CFII)
LSA's flown: Remos G3, Flight Design CTSW, Aeronca L-16, Jabiru J170
drseti

Post by drseti »

Moving this thread to the new "Medical Issues" forum.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US