new medical rules

Here's the place to ask all of your medical questions. But don't believe everything you read!

Moderator: drseti

yozz25

new medical rules

Post by yozz25 »

http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/ ... wsId=11293

This is interesting for pilots not qualified for taking anti-depressants.

It opens up a whole pandoras box, sort of a double edged sword.

yozz
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

This will not help light sport. I know of at least 2 PP with lapsed physicals taking antidepressants and flying light sport. With the new rules, they could regain their PP certificate. A good thing for them and for pilots in general, but I also see the rule change as closing off a feeder to Light Sport.
yozz25

anti d's

Post by yozz25 »

That's exactly the med I take, now I'm considering going for ppl, less hassle than the keystone cop routine with the lsa.

Now I can take my pick of plane, but the only thing that bothers me is the paperwork with the FAA. I don't like dealing with Government agencies due to tons of work, tons of questions.

My friend who is a diabetic has the ppl but has to get many tests and do much paperwork every 2 years. I take one freakin pill a day, and the thought of going back and forth to doctors getting them to fill out the papers, have them sent back, fill em out again is just a pain in the butt.

yozz
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

By all means do the PP. I started out Light Sport, but the PP training I got was so much better and safer, I'm really glad I did it.

Ask around and find yourself a pilot/medical examiner that understands your situation. Tell him/her going in that you want a preliminary exam and consultation before doing the official paperwork and that you can't afford to have a denial. AOPA is also your friend.
yozz25

sounds good

Post by yozz25 »

Yeah, may just do that, this way I'll know what the paper work torture is going to be like up front.

yozz
seastar

Medical

Post by seastar »

You know that you don't need a medical for instruction.
I just finished a BFR and tailwheel endorsement in a PA18 Super Cub with no medical. I was preparing for the delivery of my new Cub Crafters Carbon Cub SS.
It is an LSA so I don't need a medical to fly it.
By the way it's illegal for an AME to do a "pre screening".
Bill
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

What do you mean by "Pre-screening"? Is it when an applicant decides to do a practice FAA medical exam without filling Form 8500-8 out? If so why?? I was thinking of doing a practice exam if I decide to apply for a medical.
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

From my understanding it is possible to have this done. Basically it's just an agreement with the AME and yourself to see how you'd do without actually starting any of the paperwork. Once the paperwork has started I think they are required to finish it - but don't quote me on that.
Brian Garrett
[email protected]
yozz25

ame prescreen

Post by yozz25 »

The ame pre-screen as I see it, is just the ame's way of determining what kind of hassle you are going to have in dealing with FAA should you have a condition that requires the paperwork shuffle, or may disqualify you.

First, you don't want anything etched in stone with FAA that could bite you in the butt.

Second, your paperwork can go to any ole examiner and depending on how anal he or she is, determines what kind of shuffle you're gonna do.

The ame is doing you a favor, whether legal or not, it's on the wink and nod system, so not detectable.

For the young and healthy, not a problem, for those not so fortunate, you then need a friend before rolling the dice with FAA bureaurats.

yozz
:shock:
seastar

Pre screen

Post by seastar »

My understanding is that all of the forms are numbred and must be accounted for by the AME.
If you so much as write your name on one it must be submitted to the FAA.
Additionally, an AME is prohibited from doing "pre screening" by regulation.
I do think that you could find an AME who would check you out first if the money was right.
Any AME's on here who can verify the regs???
Bill
drseti

Post by drseti »

ibgarrett wrote: Once the paperwork has started I think they are required to finish it - but don't quote me on that.
Years ago, John Yodice (who was then, and may still be, AOPA's legal counsel) told me that AMEs are not allowed to submit paperwork to the FAA unless it's been signed by the applicant. So, his suggestion to me was, if in doubt about medical status, fill out the 8500, but don't actually sign it. This will probably be questioned by the AME. The proper response is:

"After my exam, if everything looks good, I'll sign my name in three places -- on the 8500, the medical certificate, and my check. If there are problems, you'll only get my autograph on the check."

I used this approach for years, and it worked. Never had a denial, but was playing it safe. Now that I have a potentially disqualifying medical history (but with the blessing of my primary care physician and cardiologist, both of whom say I'm fit to drive, and to fly), I've just let the 2nd class medical lapse, and gone the LSA route.

As for the now-allowed antidepressants, they still require that the AME submit your paperwork to OKC for a special-issuance medical. The AME cannot issue a medical if you are on antidepressants. Thus, to get an answer, you have to sign the forms. So, even applying is very risky.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

Yozz, Yozz, Yozz...

AME's are doctors first. As doctors, they are free to examine and consult with whoever they want. Anyone can come through the door, ask for the equivalent of an FAA physical and get the results and a consultation. Purely a private business transaction with no government entanglements. What's so difficult to understand?

Seastar, please cite the FAR that would prohibit the above scenario. I can't find it.

Back when the Light Sport pilot class was introduced, I seem to recall a very high placed FAA official recommending pre-screening and not doing the paperwork if the applicant couldn't pass. Unfortunately, I cannot find the quote now. In any case, call the AOPA and ask them if you have any doubt about this.
yozz25

right

Post by yozz25 »

Well that's the point I'm getting at, you consult with the AME before putting anything to stone. Yes he is a doctor, but still an official examiner who may put things in stone for you.

He'll tell you on the wink and nod what the story is gonna be with the FAA paperwork and if and when you are going to get ticket after assessing your sittuation.

Once he commits to stone, and sends it in with your blessing as per the perfessor, then it stays in stone and you end up doing the shuffle with bureaucrats. Yeah, my anti-depressant may now be legal, but who the hell knows what kind of shuffle I'm going to have.

Better to just sit back and continue with lsa, can't keep switching as I've done.

yozz
seastar

Rules

Post by seastar »

I said "it is my understanding" and I can't quote the rules.
I have a good friend who was the Chief AME for the state of Indiana and a brother in law who was an AME until he retired.
They both told me the same thing.
"AME's are prohibited from doing pre screnings."
That's where I got my "understanding".
Bill
JamesMN

Post by JamesMN »

I have gone the SP route for similar reasons. There is no way I would risk a denial or deferrment. Once you get deferred it can take a year to get your medical or a special isssuance. I don't think its a good time to risk a deferral as they will be way backed up with this new rule. I would suggest if your getting off the ground solo or with a passanger, don't risk it at THIS time. As far as training, you can fly any plane you want if you have a CFI along, medical is only required to solo.
1947 Champ 7BCM-171 owner