Medication that Disqualifies

Here's the place to ask all of your medical questions. But don't believe everything you read!

Moderator: drseti

pilotgary111

Medication that Disqualifies

Post by pilotgary111 »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are some medications that the FAA sees as automatically disqualifying for medical certification no matter how great we feel while taking it.
Some have been around for many years and are very effective.

It is a shame that the meds we take that help us feel well at the same time disqualify us from flying in any capacity. Does the FAA want us to fly even though we don't feel well? If the diagnosis doesn't disqualify you, then the meds SURELY will!

There is something terribly unjust with the system.
former USAF KC-135A pilot..now gliders and a SP wanna-be
Commercial, ASEL-MEL-Instrument
A&P Mechanic
drseti

Post by drseti »

Moving this thread to the new "Medical Issues" forum.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
gautam banerjea

Re: Medication that Disqualifies

Post by gautam banerjea »

I agree, the pre-reqs for a class 3 exam to get a private license doesn't make sense. To disallow preventative or "maintenance" meds of low dosage means that those who made the rules don't really understand these meds OR they are trying to be ultra-conservative to avoid law suits OR both.
TimTaylor

Re: Medication that Disqualifies

Post by TimTaylor »

I disagree with the premise of this thread. There are many meds that are effective treatment that might cause you to be unfit to pilot an aircraft. They might affect your senses and/or judgement. Other times, it might be the underlying medical condition that is of concern. For instance, some people take meds for depression. It's the depression that is of concern, not the meds.

I feel great when I drink a beer. Does that mean I should fly after drinking a beer or two. A lot of drugs are similiar.

That said, I'm sure you might question why certain drugs are disqualifying. Everybody is an expert when they aren't the ones making the decisions.
Retired from flying.