FAA Third Class Medical

Here's the place to ask all of your medical questions. But don't believe everything you read!

Moderator: drseti

TimTaylor

FAA Third Class Medical

Postby TimTaylor » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:25 pm

What is the "look back" time for an FAA Third Class Medical certificate? In other words, when applying for a third class medical now, how far back do they ask on the application regarding previous medical conditions and/or previous doctor visits? I'm asking about a third class, not Basic Med. Thanks.
Commercial Pilot Airplane Single & Multiengine Land; Instrument Airplane; Sport Endorsement Airplane Single Engine Sea; Flight Instructor Airplane Single And Multiengine; Ground Instructor Advanced Instrument

TimTaylor

Re: FAA Third Class Medical

Postby TimTaylor » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:52 pm

Well, to answer my own question, looking at the on-line forms, etc. It looks like they look back 3 years for doctor visits, but the look back for past medical issues doesn't appear to have a time limit. At least, that's how I interpret what the forms are asking for.
Commercial Pilot Airplane Single & Multiengine Land; Instrument Airplane; Sport Endorsement Airplane Single Engine Sea; Flight Instructor Airplane Single And Multiengine; Ground Instructor Advanced Instrument

MrMorden

Postby MrMorden » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:01 am

TimTaylor wrote:Well, to answer my own question, looking at the on-line forms, etc. It looks like they look back 3 years for doctor visits, but the look back for past medical issues doesn't appear to have a time limit. At least, that's how I interpret what the forms are asking for.

I believe that is correct. If you've *ever* had a medical condition like a heart condition, surgery, or other issue, you must report those going back your entire life, but they only ask about relatively recent medical visits.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA

Wm.Ince

Postby Wm.Ince » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:11 am

MrMorden wrote:
TimTaylor wrote:Well, to answer my own question, looking at the on-line forms, etc. It looks like they look back 3 years for doctor visits, but the look back for past medical issues doesn't appear to have a time limit. At least, that's how I interpret what the forms are asking for.

I believe that is correct. If you've *ever* had a medical condition like a heart condition, surgery, or other issue, you must report those going back your entire life, but they only ask about relatively recent medical visits.

If any of the applicable boxes (on the FAA Form) are checked, it is supposed to be followed up with more information or explanation in the "Remarks" section.
Bill Ince
CTSW
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator

Scooper

Postby Scooper » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:19 am

My experience with the hassle and expense of keeping my third class special issuance is what led me to let the SI lapse and fly LSAs as a sport pilot using a valid drivers license in lieu of a medical certificate. Depending on the severity of the condition requiring the special issuance, maintaining it may be relatively inexpensive, but for me the geniuses in OKC wanted a letter from my physician every six months with lots of bloodwork and the CogScreen-AE exam every two years. It wasn't worth the hassle and the ~$1500 a year since 95% of the kind of flying I do can be done as a sport pilot. My PCP had no problem signing off on BasicMed in May, 2017, and he knows a lot more about my health than the folks in Oklahoma City. For me the big advantage of BasicMed is that I can fly at night and can occasionally fly 172s and 182s if I need to carry more than one passenger.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XL-B LSA N601KE (KOAK)

Return to “Medical Issues”