The "Charade" of BasicMed

Here's the place to ask all of your medical questions. But don't believe everything you read!

Moderator: drseti

MrMorden

Re: The "Charade" of BasicMed

Postby MrMorden » Wed May 17, 2017 12:48 pm

Merlinspop wrote:To be honest, I'm okay with how it was written and how it came about. My last medical was issued about 12 or so years ago, so it's not like I missed out by only a few days (it must sting for the unlucky few who were out by a day!). The reason I'm okay with it is that the legislation came about the way legislation is supposed to; by compromise. Group 1 wanted ABCD; Group 2 wanted WXYZ. The final bill turned out to be AXCZ. No one got everything they wanted, but something (hopefully) useful came out of it. I would have benefited greatly without the "within the last 10 years" bit (was really hoping for "never been denied"), but oh well, that's not how it ended up. I'm really tired of the "all or nothing" stance that's been going on for too long with no end in sight. I blame the internet and 24 hour cable.

That's a good point Bruce!

I don't want to be labeled as a "hater", as I said the only element I don't like is the arbitrary ten year timeline. I guess that gives us something to work on for the next bill! I've been having a blast as a Sport Pilot, so if it never happens I'm okay with it.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA

TimTaylor

Re: The "Charade" of BasicMed

Postby TimTaylor » Wed May 17, 2017 2:52 pm

Those of us flying Light Sport aircraft with only a driver's license could fly to age 100+ and never see another doctor for the rest of our lives. Those flying under Basic Med will have a pretty thorough physical examination by a licensed MD every 4 years. I believe that could be a very significant medical difference. I also believe Basic Med will prove to be as good or better than the FAA 3rd class medical for weeding out medically unsafe pilots. The good news for some of them is they can downgrade to Light Sport as long as they meet the Sport Pilot medical requirements. Face it, it's much easier to fly light sport, daytime, VFR than twin-engine, night, IFR. The 10 year rule is somewhat arbitrary, but very reasonable. Nobody wants you flying heavier, more complex aircraft without the FAA having one look at you in the somewhat recent past. I don't like it, but I think it's reasonable.
Commercial Pilot Airplane Single & Multiengine Land; Instrument Airplane;
Sport Endorsement Airplane Single Engine Sea;
Flight Instructor Airplane Single And Multiengine;
Ground Instructor Advanced Instrument

Return to “Medical Issues”