Pixel 3 commercial. Landing plane and cell phone rings

Topics related to aviation provided mostly for humor and amusement purposes. Offensive or abusive posts will be deleted.

Moderator: drseti

Atrosa

Pixel 3 commercial. Landing plane and cell phone rings

Post by Atrosa »

Anyone see the pixel 3 commercial with folks cellphones ringing at the most inopportune time. And one of those clips was on final. Which leads me to the question.. Answer honestly.... Who has taken phone calls when acting as PIC?

Is is at about 40 sec mark. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 5665868732
Warmi

Re: Pixel 3 commercial. Landing plane and cell phone rings

Post by Warmi »

I have texted and sent pictures while flying by myself but certainly not on final or at any critical time - up there when leisurely crusing only.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Given it's an FCC violation to operated a mobile phone in the air and being a rule follower, I categorically state that I am unaware of any personal usage of a mobile phone while in the air. :wink:
dave
drseti

Post by drseti »

dstclair wrote:Given it's an FCC violation to operated a mobile phone in the air
Really, Dave? I thought cellphone usage in flight only required non-interference testing and the permission of the PIC.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

dstclair wrote:. . . . . Given it's an FCC violation to operated a mobile phone in the air . . . . .
Please post a reference.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Wm.Ince wrote:
dstclair wrote:. . . . . Given it's an FCC violation to operated a mobile phone in the air . . . . .
Please post a reference.
Current as of December 20, 2018:
§22.925 Prohibition on airborne operation of cellular telephones.
Cellular telephones installed in or carried aboard airplanes, balloons or any other type of aircraft must not be operated while such aircraft are airborne (not touching the ground). When any aircraft leaves the ground, all cellular telephones on board that aircraft must be turned off. The following notice must be posted on or near each cellular telephone installed in any aircraft:

“The use of cellular telephones while this aircraft is airborne is prohibited by FCC rules, and the violation of this rule could result in suspension of service and/or a fine. The use of cellular telephones while this aircraft is on the ground is subject to FAA regulations.”
https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?r ... .2.8.27.12
dave
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

dstclair wrote:
Wm.Ince wrote:
Please post a reference.
Current as of December 20, 2018:
§22.925 Prohibition on airborne operation of cellular telephones.
Cellular telephones installed in or carried aboard airplanes, balloons or any other type of aircraft must not be operated while such aircraft are airborne (not touching the ground). When any aircraft leaves the ground, all cellular telephones on board that aircraft must be turned off. The following notice must be posted on or near each cellular telephone installed in any aircraft:

“The use of cellular telephones while this aircraft is airborne is prohibited by FCC rules, and the violation of this rule could result in suspension of service and/or a fine. The use of cellular telephones while this aircraft is on the ground is subject to FAA regulations.”
https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?r ... .2.8.27.12
Thank you Dave.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
drseti

Post by drseti »

I don't think Part 22 rules apply to us. Don't we operate under Part 91?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Wrong part of the federal code. This is under the FCC Title 47 (not FAA Title 14) which is applicable to all telecommunication. FAA does not have jurisdiction over telecommunication.
dave
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Well, my wife , as it turns out , is a hardened criminal by now ... she does a lot of calling and hotel booking etc while we are flying.
drseti

Post by drseti »

All of us who run electronic flight bag apps on our cellphones and tablets are also apparently criminals, when we use mobile networks in-flight to update weather or file flight plans.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Get your airborne weather via ADS-B. File your flight plans on the ground. Put your phone in airplane mode. It is illegal to use cellular while flying.

Now, back to self-imposed exile.
Retired from flying.
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

There is a 2015 Advisory Circular, AC 91.21-1C "Use of Portable Electronic Devices Aboard Aircraft," which discusses cellular and on-board telephone systems. I realize ACs aren't regulatory, but found Section 7 both informative and confusing.
7. CELLULAR AND ONBOARD TELEPHONE SYSTEMS.

a. Restricting Airborne Cellular Telephone Use. There are additional considerations for PEDs with cellular or mobile telephony capabilities. These PEDs include mobile telephones and computers with cellular wireless network capabilities. The FCC prohibits cellular telephone operation while airborne, as noted in Title 47 of the Code of Federal Regulations (47 CFR) part 22, § 22.925. This restriction is valid for all aircraft without having technical provisions (e.g., OMTS, Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM), AAS, NCU) that enable control of onboard mobile devices and eliminate interference between ground-based cellular stations with airborne cellular devices. If technical provisions are installed, compliant with, or exempt from § 22.925, then usage of cellular-enabled PEDs is acceptable. Emphasis is mine - SC.

b. Compliance With FCC Rules. The FAA supports this restriction on airborne cellular telephone use. The FAA does not prohibit the use of cellular telephones in aircraft while on the ground. While airborne, operators should instruct passengers to turn off cellular telephones, disable a PED’s cellular transmitting functions, or place PEDs with cellular or mobile telephony capabilities in airplane mode. The operator’s procedures should be clearly described in oral briefings prior to departure or in written material provided to each passenger.

(1) If an aircraft operator allows passengers to use an installed mobile telephone system, then the operator should instruct passengers to turn off cellular telephones, disable their PED’s cellular transmitting functions, or place PEDs with cellular mobile telephony capabilities in airplane mode as soon as the airplane is entering U.S. airspace. An automatic indication of this event should be provided by the system.

(2) In case the FCC will revise the restrictions mentioned above, the switch-off procedures, necessary for entering U.S. airspace, would then become obsolete.
I could be mistaken, but to me it appears that unless technical provisions are installed in the airplane that "eliminate interference between ground-base cellular stations with airborne cellular devices" (which seems to be a FCC concern rather than a FAA concern), cellular calls from airborne aircraft is prohibited.

FWIW, my cellphone is always in airplane mode while I'm flying.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

I try not to actively use the phone simply because of the distraction factor but I don’t disable it nor I bother my passengers about it - I don’t know of anyone flying small GA planes who does that ... instructors , DPEs you name it ..

In other words, yeah there appears to be a rule like that and yeah, everyone appears to be ignoring it.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I turn my phone off when I get in the plane.
Retired from flying.