Fling Wing

Topics related to aviation provided mostly for humor and amusement purposes. Offensive or abusive posts will be deleted.

Moderator: drseti

Jim Hardin

Fling Wing

Post by Jim Hardin »

Humor seemed the best place to put this :)

Wife got me a Discovery Flight in a Robinson R44. I have never flown a helicopter although I've stood on the skids a few times...

We both blew the video. I had one on my headset but didn't get it started recording. Wife had a handheld but got out of phase - recording off when you pick it up and recording on when you lay it down. (I have recorded many airshows that way, got quite a collection of feet)

Half hour flight in light drizzle but it was fun! I was actually surprised how easy it was to use the collective for altitude control, did level turns and climbing and descending turns.

Tried hovering but I could barely keep it in the same zip code! Might have to go back and do some more. I can't pass a physical so even a Private Pilot is out to the question. Maybe they'll add Rotorcraft to Sport Pilot :D
SnapShot(0).jpg
SnapShot(0).jpg (131.15 KiB) Viewed 17811 times
SnapShot(1).jpg
SnapShot(1).jpg (163 KiB) Viewed 17811 times
SnapShot(2).jpg
SnapShot(2).jpg (168.63 KiB) Viewed 17811 times
At least I kept the yaw strings on the windshield.
ShawnM

Re: Fling Wing

Post by ShawnM »

Great pics Jim, I owned an experimental helicopter for a while before I sold it to buy my SportCruiser. Did some training in a R22 and Schweizer 269 and I have flown in a R44 a few times. Helicopters can be a lot of fun and very versatile machines. I do miss it sometimes but I'm much happier with my SportCruiser and its "stuck wing". :mrgreen:
bryancobb

Post by bryancobb »

Jim Hardin wrote:... I can't pass a physical so even a Private Pilot is out to the question...
If you held a class III in last 10 that makes you a Basic Med candidate. Congrats on your new experience.

In 1980-86 as an enlisted AMMO troop in the Air Force, I tried to finish college so I could go fly A-10's.

No Joy. My job always wound up in the way requiring me to drop all classes because of a 12 hr/7days a week exercise .

I "SETTLED" and swapped to the Army and went to flying Chinooks. It changed my life. Now I am a helicopter guy to
the core, even though I am realistic enough to realize only rich folks can afford a license.

“If a man is in need of rescue, an airplane can come in and throw flowers on him, and that's just about all. But a direct lift aircraft could come in and save his life.” ~Igor Sikorsky (Per the Sikorsky Archives website.)
Bryan Cobb
Sport Pilot CFI
Commercial/Instrument Airplane
Commercial Rotorcraft Helicopter
Manufacturing Engineer II, Meggitt Airframe Systems, Fuel Systems & Composites Group
Cartersville, Ga
[email protected]
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

bryancobb wrote: “If a man is in need of rescue, an airplane can come in and throw flowers on him, and that's just about all. But a direct lift aircraft could come in and save his life.” ~Igor Sikorsky (Per the Sikorsky Archives website.)
“Flying helicopters is kinda’ like masterbating.
It’s fun while you’re doing it . . but you’re ashamed afterwards.” - - Anonymous
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Wm.Ince wrote:“Flying helicopters is kinda’ like masterbating.
It’s fun while you’re doing it . . but you’re ashamed afterwards.” - - Anonymous
Now that's funny as hell.........but I'm not ashamed. :mrgreen: