Forced landing... what happens next?

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

Hambone

Forced landing... what happens next?

Post by Hambone »

As a flew my Baby Ace cross-country across some pretty inhospitable terrain, I began to wonder what would happen if I had a forced landing.

Let’s say it was a successful forced landing... now what? Who do I call? Where do I go? What happens to the airplane? How do I get the airplane home?

Any experience and comments most welcome!
nub_pilot

Re: Forced landing... what happens next?

Post by nub_pilot »

good to know that I'm not the only one who thinks about these things. I'm still a student and staying close to an airport at all times (for now until the x-country). if there is an off airport landing, how do you get assistance, don't think AAA will help you.
JimParker256

Post by JimParker256 »

I won't pretend to have all the answers, but have given some thought to this myself...

A lot depends on what type of emergency it is... If someone needs medical attention, a Sat phone or Garmin inReach is suddenly worth its weight in gold, because you can communicate with S&R folks to get the right support there ASAP. I bought a Garmin inReach for my wife's peace of mind, but quickly came to realize it could be a real godsend if I find myself in a backcountry "pickle"...

If everyone is OK, and you just need a ride back to civilization, those same devices come in pretty handy. Before a flight like that, you should know who you're going to call in case things go bad, and talk with them about it as well.

If your airplane just needs a part and a mechanic to be flyable, those same devices come in pretty handy to talk to the person above and coordinate to get the part and mechanic delivered to you. A "friend" on Facebook recently had his plane go "down" in SW Texas over a $10 part. He landed safely, tied it down, got in his buddy's plane and flew home. When the part came in, they flew back out there, replaced the part, and flew home.

If your airplane needs to be disassembled and trucked out, well, you guessed it – those devices again come in handy to make the coordination. This happens a LOT in really "rough" country, so plan for it BEFORE it happens, and know who you're going to call.

Are you sending a common thread here? If you're going to fly in the backcountry, get one of those devices, and keep it charged and with you at all times. It also helps to know some good, reliable friends that can be counted on in those circumstances. And you'll note that in many of the backcountry videos there are two (or more) airplanes making those flights together. More heads = more ideas / options. More airplanes = more alternatives for getting home.
Jim Parker
2007 RANS S-6ES (Rotax 912ULS)
Light Sport Repairman - Airplane - Inspection
Farmersville, TX
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

In addition to the mandated on board ELT, I’ve invested in a ACR handheld unit, which I would hopefully enable on the way down or after landing in the above scenario. After the landing it will be left to the insurance carrier, as to how, when and by what method the plane will return to civilization.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Sling 2 Pilot wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:50 am In addition to the mandated on board ELT, I’ve invested in a ACR handheld unit, which I would hopefully enable on the way down or after landing in the above scenario. After the landing it will be left to the insurance carrier, as to how, when and by what method the plane will return to civilization.
The OP's airplane is single place, so the ELT is not mandated.
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

3Dreaming wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:33 am
Sling 2 Pilot wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:50 am In addition to the mandated on board ELT, I’ve invested in a ACR handheld unit, which I would hopefully enable on the way down or after landing in the above scenario. After the landing it will be left to the insurance carrier, as to how, when and by what method the plane will return to civilization.
The OP's airplane is single place, so the ELT is not mandated.
He should get a handheld unit or install an ELT.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Sling 2 Pilot wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:10 am
Handheld, yes. An alternative to installing an ELT might be a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB), which need not be installed, and can be carried in any plane. Like an ELT, they can be registered with NOAA.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
designrs

Post by designrs »

I have a PLB and sometimes wear it around my neck on cross-country. My concern is that if the antenna got ripped off the airplane, or if I were separated from the aircraft, that I could still call for help. Some aircraft ELT come with an additional “backup” antenna that can be installed if the primary antenna is ripped off on a forced landing but that requires being in good enough physical condition after the landing to instal it.

+1 on the Sat phone which is even better to organize the right assistance.
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

drseti wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:46 am
Sling 2 Pilot wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:10 am
Handheld, yes. An alternative to installing an ELT might be a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB), which need not be installed, and can be carried in any plane. Like an ELT, they can be registered with NOAA.
Yes, I’ve got the ACR PLB. No nonsense, and no cost, other than the purchase price, as you well know. Just register it and renew every two years with NOAA. My unit has a seven year battery life.
Helen

Post by Helen »

1. If you are hurt, you call 911.
2. Next you call the local FSDO. Find out if they are going to call the NTSB or if they want you too.
3. Call the NTSB if the FAA isn't already doing this.
4. Is there a fuel spill? If so notify the state police.
5. Call the insurance company. They will arrange to send an adjuster out. That can also give you a number for an aircraft recovery company in your area.
6. If fuel is spilling, the police will give you phone numbers for hazmat companies for the clean-up. Call them.
7. Call aircraft recovery company and place them on stand-by.

Now wait for the FAA and NTSB to inspect and release the plane to be moved.

8. Once the plane has been released, you can call the recovery company. Assuming no one was killed, they will take it back to your hangar. If someone was killed, it will go to a secure site of the NTSB's choosing.

Now wait for the insurance adjuster.

9. Once the adjuster shows up he will decide it the plane is totaled or will be repaired. If totaled, the insurance company will arrange to have it hauled off for scrap.
10. If repairable, find a shop willing to do the repairs and have them begin the process of putting together an estimate. (Sometimes this quote is part of the insurance company's decision about totaling the plane or not.)
11. Insurance company will generally provide and advance to order the parts and start the work and pay the rest once the airplane is put back together. You should note that the insurance company also pays the recovery team and pays the farmer for any crop loss.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Helen Woods
Chesapeake Sport Pilot
Quality Flight Training, Rentals, and Service
Factory Authorized RV-12 Training and Service Center
http://www.chesapeakesportpilot.com
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

Helen wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:53 am 1. If you are hurt, you call 911.
2. Next you call the local FSDO. Find out if they are going to call the NTSB or if they want you too.
3. Call the NTSB if the FAA isn't already doing this.
4. Is there a fuel spill? If so notify the state police.
5. Call the insurance company. They will arrange to send an adjuster out. That can also give you a number for an aircraft recovery company in your area.
6. If fuel is spilling, the police will give you phone numbers for hazmat companies for the clean-up. Call them.
7. Call aircraft recovery company and place them on stand-by.

Now wait for the FAA and NTSB to inspect and release the plane to be moved.

8. Once the plane has been released, you can call the recovery company. Assuming no one was killed, they will take it back to your hangar. If someone was killed, it will go to a secure site of the NTSB's choosing.

Now wait for the insurance adjuster.

9. Once the adjuster shows up he will decide it the plane is totaled or will be repaired. If totaled, the insurance company will arrange to have it hauled off for scrap.
10. If repairable, find a shop willing to do the repairs and have them begin the process of putting together an estimate. (Sometimes this quote is part of the insurance company's decision about totaling the plane or not.)
11. Insurance company will generally provide and advance to order the parts and start the work and pay the rest once the airplane is put back together. You should note that the insurance company also pays the recovery team and pays the farmer for any crop loss.
Thank you so much for that comprehensive and useful information, Helen. I have printed it out, complete with contact details.

Now I just hope that I never need it!