Which PLB?

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

Sling 2 Pilot

Which PLB?

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

Ive narrowed my choice down to the ACR Rescue Link+ and the Ocean Signal/ACR PLB-1. Both function identically, the PLB-1 is the smallest PLB, the Rescue Link+ is bigger and also Boyant. By The Way, ACR bought out Ocean Signal and the PLB-1 is still branded by as either the Ocean Signal Rescue Me PLB and as the ACR PLB-1.

I was leaning towards the RL+ for its buoyancy, but the size of the other unit is. Worth the look. Any one have experience with either? This would be in addition to the 406 I’ve got installed in the plane.
RTK

Re: Which PLB?

Post by RTK »

i have the ACR ResqLink. Great little unit that’s easy to carry since it’s so small. Not much else I can say about it since I’ve not needed to use it, but I have peace of mind by making it part of my flight bag.
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

RTK wrote:i have the ACR ResqLink. Great little unit that’s easy to carry since it’s so small. Not much else I can say about it since I’ve not needed to use it, but I have peace of mind by making it part of my flight bag.
Thanks RTK, I plan on purchasing the Rescue Link + next month.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Sling 2 Pilot wrote:. . . . . I plan on purchasing the Rescue Link + next month.
Before making that purchase, I encourage you to read the negative Amazon reviews for that unit. I found some of them very interesting.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

Wm.Ince wrote:
Sling 2 Pilot wrote:. . . . . I plan on purchasing the Rescue Link + next month.
Before making that purchase, I encourage you to read the negative Amazon reviews for that unit. I found some of them very interesting.
Bill, I scrolled thru most of the Amazon reviews and don’t see a problem. I admit, one posters horror story is just that, but on a whole, the few other negative reviews are explainable and not tied to the actual functionality of the unit.

There are only a few options out there for pilots, boaters and adventurers. I’m not looking for another “Device” that I need to pay a subscription on in my retirement, just to carry when flying and send messages. Hopefully those that purchase any Beacon will never need it, me included.

If you know of any better unit, please pass it on. My research shows the Rescue Link and Ocean Signal units better than the Mc Murdo, which is the only other I would consider.