10 mile final....

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

914Driver

Re: 10 mile final....

Post by 914Driver »

Thanks, exactly what I thought. I won't tell you about the helo pilot who used profanity on the radio, hopped in his Lamborghini and raced out to the flight line to grab an instructor by the throat. Assault on an old guy is only a misdemeanor, we let his peers eat him up.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

drseti wrote:Gliders have right-of-way over power planes. All.The.Time.
Some of the glider pilots around here use this rule to bully us powered aircraft drivers and do whatever they please. I understand the need for the rule, but I'd prefer folks use it responsibly and not as a blanket excuse for rudeness...
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

MrMorden wrote:
drseti wrote:Gliders have right-of-way over power planes. All.The.Time.
Some of the glider pilots around here use this rule to bully us powered aircraft drivers and do whatever they please. I understand the need for the rule, but I'd prefer folks use it responsibly and not as a blanket excuse for rudeness...
Andy, I am not sure how they do things down there, but I have been hanging around at our local glider club the past year it is certainly not the case around here. I have been flying a glider some, and I can tell you there are times that you can get caught when the lift goes away and not be able to fly a "normal" traffic pattern.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

3Dreaming wrote: Andy, I am not sure how they do things down there, but I have been hanging around at our local glider club the past year it is certainly not the case around here. I have been flying a glider some, and I can tell you there are times that you can get caught when the lift goes away and not be able to fly a "normal" traffic pattern.
Oh sure, I don't have a problem with a glider saying he has to expedite a landing and land in front of me or make me change plans. That's understandable. But when the gliders won't let me land runway 3 because they are landing runway 21 (in spite of wind), and then I switch to 21 and they tell me I can't land there either because they are about to take off from 3 and I need to circle a bit, it's pretty frustrating. I mean come on guys, you can't have the ENTIRE airport for your glider ops. No apologies or attempt to expedite, just "we're taking off on one end and landing at the other, we're gliders and you have to get out of the way".
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

MrMorden wrote:
3Dreaming wrote: Andy, I am not sure how they do things down there, but I have been hanging around at our local glider club the past year it is certainly not the case around here. I have been flying a glider some, and I can tell you there are times that you can get caught when the lift goes away and not be able to fly a "normal" traffic pattern.
Oh sure, I don't have a problem with a glider saying he has to expedite a landing and land in front of me or make me change plans. That's understandable. But when the gliders won't let me land runway 3 because they are landing runway 21 (in spite of wind), and then I switch to 21 and they tell me I can't land there either because they are about to take off from 3 and I need to circle a bit, it's pretty frustrating. I mean come on guys, you can't have the ENTIRE airport for your glider ops. No apologies or attempt to expedite, just "we're taking off on one end and landing at the other, we're gliders and you have to get out of the way".
The regulations are clear that the landing glider has the right of way. It is also clear that you should have the right of way over aircraft, (the glider), sitting on the surface. Maybe a gentle reminder that their sitting on the runway causing you to take evasive action for landing could possibly be considered a runway incursion.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Here are the right-of-way rules, as I recall them:

An aircraft declaring an emergency always has right-of-way over everybody else.

In flight, the least maneuverable category and class has right-of-way.

When multiple aircraft are landing, that applies. If equally maneuverable, the aircraft at the lower altitude has right-of-way.

Aircraft taking off must always yield to landing aircraft, with the exception of seaplanes, where the aircraft taking off has priority (because you can't stans on the brakes and sit at the hold-short line when you're on floats).
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
914Driver

Post by 914Driver »

Thankfully I've never witnessed the rudeness cited by 3Dreaming, hopefully it was isolated PMS and not a mindset.
I still disagree with the straight in landings ....

Dan
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

914Driver wrote:Thankfully I've never witnessed the rudeness cited by 3Dreaming, hopefully it was isolated PMS and not a mindset.
I still disagree with the straight in landings ....

Dan
I didn't cite any rudeness, in fact just the opposite.
914Driver

Post by 914Driver »

Agreed, apologies for the misquote.
Izzy

Post by Izzy »

I was taught and always fly a pattern as indicated (R or L) using the 45º entry point on downwind. Not to long ago, while flying at a busy NTA, there was an emergency declared by a pilot and WE all cleared the area giving room for the pilot to set their plane down safely.

I have the following link in my resource file:

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/med ... 90-66B.pdf

Cheers!

Izzy