Another accident at 2L0

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

foresterpoole

Another accident at 2L0

Post by foresterpoole »

I swear the airport i fly out of has to be the most accident prone place I've ever seen. I stopped in to pay my bill and a Jabriu 230 was in the hanger missing a prop. I did not get a good look at first, I commented to one of the A&P's if he minded if I took a look since I never saw one up close. He laughed, then told me how it came to be in the hanger: It seems it came in with two people headed from Texas to Florida, landed VERY long, and in attempt not to run off the runway (instead of going around), turned sharply to the left so hard the wing struck the pavement, then lost control and that lead to a prop strike. So upon closer inspection one wing tip is pretty skinned up and cracked. The wheel farings we're all cracked up, and the wing seemed limp which I would think indicates a broken spar. I'm no A&P but I'm thinking it's going to be there for a while since I hope the engine would get a through check. Thankfully, both occupants walked away. Moral of the story: GO AROUND!!!!
Ed
drseti

Re: Another accident at 2L0

Post by drseti »

The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Great video! I had not seen that before.

Let me dig up another video someone recently posted to POA along similar lines.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

Thanks, Eddie. That one looks exactly like what I did in the Funk at the Watsonville antique fly-in about 33 years ago, only I gave her a blast of power when she started swinging into the right crosswind. Figured torque would straighten me out. It didn't - I ended up doing a 180 to the left on the runway!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

I’d hope you applied at least some right aileron to lift that left wing when it started down.

But as Warren Zevon sang, “You’re a whole different person when you’re scared”, and I’m sure we all freeze up on the controls every once in a while.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I was letting someone land my dad's Taylorcraft one day, and the landing started to go kind of like the Cessna 170. I calmly reached up and cranked in some aileron and the airplane sat back down like it should. There wasn't really much crosswind, it was more the pilot getting the controls crossed up a little.