GRS Parachute Failure

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

User avatar
MrMorden
Posts: 1733
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:28 am
Location: Athens, GA

GRS Parachute Failure

Postby MrMorden » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:11 am

I have not seen a ballistic parachute failure before, except in the case of excessive speed. Maybe that was a factor here?

https://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Chute-Failure-Cited-In-Fatal-Crash-229857-1.html
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA

Warmi
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:35 pm
Location: Frankfort, IL

Re: GRS Parachute Failure

Postby Warmi » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:47 am

It seems to imply that it was not the parachute itself that failed but rather the attachment point on the plane which in turn resulted in partial inflation etc...
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois

Wm.Ince
Posts: 581
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:27 pm
Location: Clearwater, FL

Re: GRS Parachute Failure

Postby Wm.Ince » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:58 am

May those pilots rest in peace.
This underscores the importance of proper engineering and installation. That parachute is something that one should not cut corners on (think inspection and maintanence). Otherwise, you may as well remove it and fly around like a Cessna or Piper.
I view my BRS as part of my insurance coverage, with no second thoughts about it.
Bill Ince
CTSW
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator

User avatar
MrMorden
Posts: 1733
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:28 am
Location: Athens, GA

Re: GRS Parachute Failure

Postby MrMorden » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:36 am

In the CT forum it was brought up that this seems to be the first operational deployment of a GRS "in the wild". If so, it's a disappointing first experience.

We will know more about the true causes after the investigation. Whether the installation was to manufacturer's specs, how maintenance was performed, and the speed at deployment are questions I'd be curious to know answers to.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA

User avatar
FastEddieB
Posts: 2130
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:33 pm
Location: Mineral Bluff, GA

Re: GRS Parachute Failure

Postby FastEddieB » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:15 pm

Well, there was a single failure to properly deploy in a Cirrus, albeit not GRS.

The pilot managed to regroup and land:

Image

http://www.aero-news.net/annticker.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=da260970-3974-400f-95b1-c095ab971053

So far blamed on extreme gyrations when the chute was pulled.

Still, the accident in question is tragic and should raise concerns.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
FastEddieB@mac.com

Warmi
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:35 pm
Location: Frankfort, IL

Re: GRS Parachute Failure

Postby Warmi » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:29 pm

MrMorden wrote:In the CT forum it was brought up that this seems to be the first operational deployment of a GRS "in the wild". If so, it's a disappointing first experience.

We will know more about the true causes after the investigation. Whether the installation was to manufacturer's specs, how maintenance was performed, and the speed at deployment are questions I'd be curious to know answers to.


That's incorrect - there have been quite a few operational deployments:

TL Sirius in Germany
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQjxpwzigN4

Sting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRD2tnHpmnA

Virus SW in Canada
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l8ejwiDki0
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois

User avatar
MrMorden
Posts: 1733
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:28 am
Location: Athens, GA

Re: GRS Parachute Failure

Postby MrMorden » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:45 pm

Warmi wrote:
MrMorden wrote:In the CT forum it was brought up that this seems to be the first operational deployment of a GRS "in the wild". If so, it's a disappointing first experience.

We will know more about the true causes after the investigation. Whether the installation was to manufacturer's specs, how maintenance was performed, and the speed at deployment are questions I'd be curious to know answers to.


That's incorrect - there have been quite a few operational deployments:

TL Sirius in Germany
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQjxpwzigN4

Sting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRD2tnHpmnA

Virus SW in Canada
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l8ejwiDki0


Thanks, I thought that seemed weird considering the number out there. On another forum somebody mentioned both GRS and NTSB said it was the first, glad to see that corrected.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA

Merlinspop
Posts: 968
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:48 pm
Location: WV Eastern Panhandle

Re: GRS Parachute Failure

Postby Merlinspop » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:56 pm

Maybe GRS meant to say this was the first failure of one deployed in flight (non test).
- Bruce

Merlinspop
Posts: 968
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:48 pm
Location: WV Eastern Panhandle

Re: GRS Parachute Failure

Postby Merlinspop » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:05 pm

(Duplicate deleted)
Last edited by Merlinspop on Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Bruce

Warmi
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:35 pm
Location: Frankfort, IL

Re: GRS Parachute Failure

Postby Warmi » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:37 pm

BTW That Sirius guy in Germany .. I would not deploy grs in a perfectly good plane with just a busted nose wheel.
To me seems like deploying a chute at a pattern altitude is a greater risk than attempting a collapsed nose gear landing in a light sport.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois

User avatar
dstclair
Posts: 946
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:23 am
Location: Allen, TX

Re: GRS Parachute Failure

Postby dstclair » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:00 am

The Sirius deployment looks to be only 150-200 feet AGL. Pretty impressive!

FYI -- There are several more Pipistrel GRS deployments documented as well.
dave

User avatar
dstclair
Posts: 946
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:23 am
Location: Allen, TX

Re: GRS Parachute Failure

Postby dstclair » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:28 am

A bit more from the actual report:
"Metallurgical examination of the separated front anchor revealed that it had been bolted into
aluminum bulkhead skin that was about 0.022-inch thick. Although the anchor and seven of its
eight bolts remained intact, the surrounding aluminum skin of the airplane had separated from
the airplane in overstress. Without any additional supporting structure such as longerons,
stringers, or bathtub fittings, it is likely the thin aluminum skin could not withstand the force
applied to the front anchor during parachute deployment


Also, the article definitely got the number of chute deployments wrong:
The investigation noted that the first
in-flight deployment of the parachute on the make and model airplane was on the accident
airplane during the accident flight.


The Probable cause:
The pilots' loss of control that necessitated the activation of the parachute system and the
airplane manufacturer's inadequate design of the front parachute anchor attachment structure,
which resulted in a failure of the parachute
dave

Warmi
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:35 pm
Location: Frankfort, IL

Re: GRS Parachute Failure

Postby Warmi » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:28 am

Actually, I think article is correct ... it states that this was the very first deployment of the parachute on the make and model airplane which I have no reason to doubt .. ( never heard of Jihlavan though ..)
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois

User avatar
dstclair
Posts: 946
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:23 am
Location: Allen, TX

Re: GRS Parachute Failure

Postby dstclair » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:45 pm

Warmi wrote:Actually, I think article is correct ... it states that this was the very first deployment of the parachute on the make and model airplane which I have no reason to doubt .. ( never heard of Jihlavan though ..)


Nope -- the article excluded key parts of the NTSB quote. From the article:
The NTSB said Galaxy Rescue Systems told them the accident was the first time one of the chutes had been deployed in flight. During certification, one test deployment was performed on the ground.
dave


Return to “Safety Corner”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest