CT fatal in Iowa Monticello KMXO

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

ct4me

CT fatal in Iowa Monticello KMXO

Post by ct4me »

Sad to report a July 1st accident that claimed the life of 90 year old Jerry Naylor. There are few details except the crash was in a field very near the grass runway at Monticello, and Jerry's dog survived the accident. Jerry was an accomplished pilot and had been actively flying since 1945. 72+ years of flying.
Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com
HAPPYDAN

Re: CT fatal in Iowa Monticello KMXO

Post by HAPPYDAN »

On a lesson a few weeks ago, the CFI pulled the throttle and announced the engine had failed. Glide, decide, troubleshoot, communicate. Prepare for off-airport landing. The field I selected, and was gliding to, was green. CFI then says it's better to select a large, flat dead-brown unplowed field. After the exercise was concluded, I asked why. He related a story about a Mooney pilot who landed in a cornfield. The plane was destroyed and the pilot and passenger were injured by "flying corncobs". Seems that corncobs at 70 or so knots can be devastating. Looking at the above picture, I would say he was right.
MrMorden

Re: CT fatal in Iowa Monticello KMXO

Post by MrMorden »

I don't know if corncobs had much effect here...the airplane looks like it came straight down. None of the corn stalks are flattened except where people came to help, and right where the impact occurred. The CT is a pretty strong airframe, yet one wing was sheared off. That took quite a bit of impact force.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA