Sky Catcher Spin Incident

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

theoarno

Sky Catcher Spin Incident

Post by theoarno »

I don't know if this has been discussed here previously so I will post it.
http://generalaviationnews.com/2016/09/ ... ore-104004
Wm.Ince

Re: Sky Catcher Spin Incident

Post by Wm.Ince »

theoarno wrote:I don't know if this has been discussed here previously so I will post it.
http://generalaviationnews.com/2016/09/ ... ore-104004
Report is dated September, 2014.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

It almost sounds like pilot partial or complete incapacitation.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Bummer, indeed. I don't blame the plane. It does sound like the pilot was distracted or disabled.
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

I thought the Skycatcher is unable to do spins, or at least very difficult to spin.
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

N918KT wrote:I thought the Skycatcher is unable to do spins, or at least very difficult to spin.

Twice during practicing power-on (departure) stalls, I let the left wing drop. Must be quick on the right rudder! Don't attempt to level with ailerons! Also, the article apparently quoted the POH as saying reduce power(?!) True, once a spin has developed (PARE). But when recovering from a power-on stall, I was taught to leave in full power until recovery was complete and a positive rate of climb (Vy) was established.
VL Roberts

Post by VL Roberts »

Skycatcher POH : "Power -on stall recovery should be initiated by simultaneously lowering the nose while reducing power after which normal power -off stall recovery techniques should be applied."
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

N918KT wrote:I thought the Skycatcher is unable to do spins, or at least very difficult to spin.
I don't think that's true at all. One of the prototypes was lost in spin testing (BRS deployment, pilot ok). The tail was redesigned before production to make spin recovery more effective. They will still spin, but now at least you can recover them with standard inputs! :)
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

VL Roberts wrote:Skycatcher POH : "Power -on stall recovery should be initiated by simultaneously lowering the nose while reducing power after which normal power -off stall recovery techniques should be applied."
I have the POH here and I will go back and check it. What you say does make sense, as the combination of high power, low airspeed, and high angle of attack in the departure stall configuration does cause a severe left-turning/rolling tendency, which if unchecked in the break seems to cause that left wing to drop suddenly, possibly causing a spin. Pulling the power might prevent that, followed by slowly advancing throttle and correcting with right rudder. Maybe I was taught wrong :| at least for this plane.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

HAPPYDAN wrote:
VL Roberts wrote:Skycatcher POH : "Power -on stall recovery should be initiated by simultaneously lowering the nose while reducing power after which normal power -off stall recovery techniques should be applied."
I have the POH here and I will go back and check it. What you say does make sense, as the combination of high power, low airspeed, and high angle of attack in the departure stall configuration does cause a severe left-turning/rolling tendency, which if unchecked in the break seems to cause that left wing to drop suddenly, possibly causing a spin. Pulling the power might prevent that, followed by slowly advancing throttle and correcting with right rudder. Maybe I was taught wrong :| at least for this plane.
The way you were taught is the normal way to make a recovery from a power on stall, at least from the FAA's standpoint. That being said the manufacturer's procedure should take precedence over the normal recovery technique if they are different.
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Well, Section 4 Normal Procedures, page 4-41, STALLS. Yep. That's what it says.