Drones out-number planes

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

Flocker

Drones out-number planes

Post by Flocker »

Aviation Real Estate Broker
MrMorden

Re: Drones out-number planes

Post by MrMorden »

Flocker wrote:From yesterday's USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016 ... 80002730/#
Not surprising. Drones cost as little as fifty bucks, airplanes are...more expensive.

Honestly, all the breathless talk about the danger drones pose to aviation is overblown, IMO. There are many times more birds than there will ever be drones, and they have about the same mass. We survive birds sharing the sky with us. :mrgreen:
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

The FAA registering drones is kind of a misnomer. That is what they call it, but that is not what it is. What they are really doing is registering pilots. The numbers are over inflated, because the new rule required people who have been flying model airplanes for years under AMA guidelines to register so they can continue to fly those airplanes. My 13 year old and I have registered because we fly model airplanes.

If you take away the model aircraft pilots flying under AMA guidelines that in 2012 Congress said the FAA could not regulate I am sure the numbers would be quite different.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

MrMorden wrote:. . . There are many times more birds than there will ever be drones, and they have about the same mass. We survive birds sharing the sky with us.
There's a big difference between the two though . . . the birds actually know what they're doing.
Last edited by Wm.Ince on Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Wm.Ince wrote:
MrMorden wrote:. . . There are many times more birds than there will ever be drones, and they have about the same mass. We survive birds sharing the sky with us.
There's a big difference between the two though . . . the birds actually know what their doing.
LOL. But they don't know what I'M going to do. Hell, most of the time neither do I! ;)
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

MrMorden wrote:
Wm.Ince wrote:
There's a big difference between the two though . . . the birds actually know what they're doing.
LOL. But they don't know what I'M going to do. Hell, most of the time neither do I! ;)
That makes two of us! :D
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

FYI - Skyvector added a DROTAM overlay on their charts. Pretty interesting how many DROTAMs there are now across the US.
Aviation Real Estate Broker
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Flocker wrote:FYI - Skyvector added a DROTAM overlay on their charts. Pretty interesting how many DROTAMs there are now across the US.
DROTAM :lol: :lol: :lol:
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI