Safety Vids

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

hirschr

Safety Vids

Post by hirschr »

http://hixsonaviation.com/2014/10/07/sa ... -videos-2/

Good discussion on some recent accidents. Some are a bit long, but well worth it if you have the time.

The Lancair went down 3 miles from my home airport of FGU. The Viking accident (Jason Bailey link) - see pic - is a very good discussion.
IMG_0698.JPG
IMG_0698.JPG (217.66 KiB) Viewed 8710 times
MrMorden

Re: Safety Vids

Post by MrMorden »

I think that damage will buff right out.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
hirschr

Post by hirschr »

Exactly what I told him LOL!
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

A little fabric tape and some dope, and you'd never know it happened.
- Bruce
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Enjoyed the Viking story. Especially since everything that happened in that story was within 50nm of my home airport, and I know exactly where all the landmarks he mentioned are.

I only hope if I ever get in a situation that dire, I do half as well as he did.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
hirschr

Post by hirschr »

Yes! Jason did a great job under tense circumstances. Overall he continued to fly the airplane, and that made all the difference. The decision to pull the mixture and dive to put out the fire, knowing that meant an off airport landing had to be a tough one.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

hirschr wrote:Yes! Jason did a great job under tense circumstances. Overall he continued to fly the airplane, and that made all the difference. The decision to pull the mixture and dive to put out the fire, knowing that meant an off airport landing had to be a tough one.
Agreed, but that almost certainly saved him and his passengers (and dog!) from an in-flight expanding, fuel-fed fire, and also from a post-crash fire on the ground. Once the engine let go, there was no way that plane was going to make the runway anyway, though at the time he didn't know that.

Others may disagree, but I think that those circumstances of low altitude, nighttime engine failure and possible fire with very limited landing options would be a *great* time for a ballistic parachute pull to be considered in an airplane so equipped.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

"...a *great* time for a ballistic parachute pull to be considered in an airplane so equipped."

Agreed. But let's acknowledge what Jason's conclusion was, during his introductory remarks. He's not nearly so inclined now to fly at night behind a single engine a/c.

One point made by the flight school owner was, I found, somewhat interesting. He directs his students to set up their GPS-based nav displays to either a 15 nm or 30 nm scale for all flights. His rationale is that, depending on the kind of training being done, those distances can correlate with the likely gliding distance of the training a/c. His point was that this preselects the nav display so it supports dealing with a loss of power and so removes one step the pilot must take to utilize the nav picture in the cockpit during such an emergency. I hadn't previously heard that recommendation.

And one takeaway from the experience I didn't hear Jason articulate: An engine fire should produce the immediate removal of the fuel supply from the engine compartment (mix out, pump off, tank valve(s) closed). Sniffing acrid odors or seeing a bit of smoke in the cockpit, I would begin by choking off the possible electrical sources of fire (master off, begin checking fuses, etc.)...but an engine fire is an entirely different animal. Very scary stuff.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Jack Tyler wrote:"...a *great* time for a ballistic parachute pull to be considered in an airplane so equipped."

Agreed. But let's acknowledge what Jason's conclusion was, during his introductory remarks. He's not nearly so inclined now to fly at night behind a single engine a/c.

One point made by the flight school owner was, I found, somewhat interesting. He directs his students to set up their GPS-based nav displays to either a 15 nm or 30 nm scale for all flights. His rationale is that, depending on the kind of training being done, those distances can correlate with the likely gliding distance of the training a/c. His point was that this preselects the nav display so it supports dealing with a loss of power and so removes one step the pilot must take to utilize the nav picture in the cockpit during such an emergency. I hadn't previously heard that recommendation.

And one takeaway from the experience I didn't hear Jason articulate: An engine fire should produce the immediate removal of the fuel supply from the engine compartment (mix out, pump off, tank valve(s) closed). Sniffing acrid odors or seeing a bit of smoke in the cockpit, I would begin by choking off the possible electrical sources of fire (master off, begin checking fuses, etc.)...but an engine fire is an entirely different animal. Very scary stuff.
Yes, flying at night in a single engine airplane compounds the risk significantly over daytime operations. I have never flown my CT at night, but I'm planning to do so with my CFI soon, just so that I have *some* experience if some unlikely combination of events puts me in the air after dark.

I think another reason the owner mentioned regarding the 15-30nm range scale is that beyond that many GPS units will start to "declutter" and remove smaller airfields from the display. You want to see those places if you have no engine and they are close by!

In Garmin Pilot, there is a "range ring" feature that I always keep turned on. I have it set to show me rings around my position at 5nm, 10nm, and 20nm. I use those rings in deciding when to make radio calls and get a general idea of how far surround airports and landmarks are, and they can also be used as rough glide range rings depending on what altitude you are flying at. Here's my normal Garmin Pilot view with the range rings:

Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

CTLSi wrote: As a sport pilot you are not allowed to fly after evening and morning civil twilight. Getting 'caught' out at night with a sport pilot cert is a ticket loser.

The regulations also require your aircraft to be equipped for night flight. Requires you to maintain currency for night flying (which could also mean you violate the rules trying to stay current flying alone at night). And there are a set of written questions/knowledge on the subject that are required also, to be safe. Not just flying around at night.

Having a parachute is critical to night flying. Anyone flying at night no matter how few or many engines they have without a parachute is at greater risk.
Don't be daft. I said that I'd be with my CFI, he will act as PIC. My airplane is night legal.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Not sure which ones, but some modern displays will show effective glide range, even taking winds into account.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

FastEddieB wrote:Not sure which ones, but some modern displays will show effective glide range, even taking winds into account.
The AnywhereMap series have that. You enter your aircraft performance (best glide speed, glide ratio, etc) and it puts little green circles around the airports on the map showing how close you have to be at your current altitude. They call it "cones of safety".

Nice feature, too bad the software is otherwise a bit of a mess.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI