Fuel Gage Indication: “Pucker Effect” versus Reality

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

Jack Tyler

Re: Fuel Gage Indication: “Pucker Effect” versus Reality

Post by Jack Tyler »

The ASRS monthly newsletter was nice enough to just publish (Eddie, pay attention here...) both fuel exhaustion and fuel starvation reports they have received in order to illuminate some of the miscues we pilots are repeatedly fond of performing:
http://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/publications/c ... b_416.html

Andy, I wasn't seeking a 'technological solution' but rather suggesting that totalizing systems are probably not much of a solution. And so my data query was for the purpose of seeing if the actual NTSB data supported my suspicion. My fuel management system does pretty much what you describe, absent an aural alarm. So in a perfect world I'm given plenty of advance notice (chosen by me) of hrs/mins and also gals + tenths remaining, flashing noticeably until cancelled. But am I paying attention to it as I should? Or can I acknowledge the alarm - and its next threshold alarm - and then get distracted? (Hell, yes - I can do that!) Can it anticipate a l-o-n-g flight following deviation on the arrival end of my flight, such as I experienced two weeks ago flying into Opa Locha, FL? I love having that thing aboard but I keep telling myself it's not clairvoyant!
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
snaproll

Post by snaproll »

Jack,
Good post and information... It is really up to the PIC to (1) make sure there is sufficient fuel + reserve for the trip, (2) follow POH and manage onboard fuel distribution, and (3) use some common sense. All of the alarms in the world won't help some folks. As stated in my earlier post (cross country in the Skycoupe), I learned my lesson and have not repeated my mistake in the last 48 years. Thanks again.. VR.. Don
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

I have not yet reached the point where I see an unplanned fuel stop as a bother instead of as an opportunity (to meet people, see airplanes, land and t/o). Hope I never get that 'advanced'.
- Bruce
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

MrMorden wrote:
FastEddieB wrote:To gain some sympathy for how fuel starvation can happen...
The original Bellanca Viking had this problem, there were five separate relatively small tanks and a very complex two fuel valve arrangement. There were a few accidents where by the time the pilot found the fuel (or gave up looking for it) the emergency was well under way.
A bit off topic but I owned a Super Viking and there were three tanks with a very simple fuel selector system -- Left, Right and Aux. The Aux had 15 gallons which what most of us owners burned through first during the first hour after take-off (which left 2+ gallons as an emergency reserve). You then just alternated between L/R. I usually went 30 minutes per side between switches. Didn't have to, I just liked to keep them even.

What model were you referring to?
dave
snaproll

Post by snaproll »

Thought I'd chime in on the Bellanca issue. The fuel system was redesigned in 1974 (Viking) and changed from 5 tanks with complicated valves to 3 tanks as mentioned above. You are both right - just on different models. I never had the pleasure of flying a Viking or Super Viking although I always admired the Bellanca, just the 14-13 with the 150 Franklin (Cardboard Constellation). VR.. Don
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

snaproll wrote:Thought I'd chime in on the Bellanca issue. The fuel system was redesigned in 1974 (Viking) and changed from 5 tanks with complicated valves to 3 tanks as mentioned above. You are both right - just on different models. I never had the pleasure of flying a Viking or Super Viking although I always admired the Bellanca, just the 14-13 with the 150 Franklin (Cardboard Constellation). VR.. Don
Yes, it was fixed, or at least simplified. The Viking is one of my favorite certified airplanes, just so sleek and well crafted.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA