News mentions gear-up landing

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

IFlyRC

News mentions gear-up landing

Post by IFlyRC »

I wasn't paying very close attention to the cable news channel, but I thought I heard something about one of their guests talking about what seems like an unconscious pilot over Cuba. The speaker (I think) said that the survival rate for a gear-up landing in the water was fairly good. Does anyone have any more knowledge on the subject? Either off-field, runway, or water landings with the wheels up?
CTLSi

Re: News mentions gear-up landing

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
IFlyRC

Post by IFlyRC »

I'm aware of that aspect. I was surprised that he talked specifically about the "gear-up" survival rates. The gear causing less of a tumble if you hit at the right speed & angle while level. "Belly landings" are reminiscent of those stories from WWII. I wasn't sure if there was a general consensus on the subject for off-field, water, landing on the runway with gear up, etc. Probably a moot point for most aircraft considering the gear is fixed, but nevertheless...
drseti

Post by drseti »

CTLSi wrote: If you hit the water at 50 kts you will break up or cartwheel.
Oh? LIke Skyles and Sullenberger did?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:
That is what I was thinking. I'm also glad all of the sea planes are under 50Kts too.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

It is generally accepted that retractable gear planes have an advantage when ditching - they can often skip like a stone and hit the water the final time slow enough not to "break up or cartwheel". But even fixed gear planes can successfully ditch if everything is "just so".

The AIM has a good section on proper ditching procedures, which can help regardless.

And as a reminder, the chute would still probably be the first choice over water.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
sandpiper

Post by sandpiper »

A big factor is the surface condition of the water. The Hudson would be considered smooth, or "flat" whereas an ocean, generally, not so much.
John Horn
Independence Airpark (7S5), OR
CFII, LSRM-A
Rotax Service, Maint, and Heavy Maint. trained
Flying a CTSW, building an RV-12
BrianL99

Post by BrianL99 »

CTLSi wrote:
drseti wrote:
Sullenberger did the impossible and is recognized for pulling off a miracle.
By whom ?

What Sully did by his own admission, is follow the procedure and not get rattled.

http://www.askthepilot.com/questionansw ... d-heroics/

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/flo ... light-1549

http://www.amnation.com/vfr/archives/012340.html

Not to detract from the fact there were no serious injuries, most any competent airline pilot could have put that airplane in the water.
designrs

Post by designrs »

BrianL99 wrote:Not to detract from the fact there were no serious injuries, most any competent airline pilot could have put that airplane in the water.
Really? At the time I think the controllers were actually in disbelief when Sully told them he was going to put it down in the Hudson? I believe their best suggestion was Teterboro airport which was out of range?

Then again, it makes perfect sense for damage control in a dense area like that. There was not any other place to go!
designrs

Post by designrs »

For small planes on water I believe the expectation is "ditch & flip". Low wing, fixed gear, bubble canopy over water... I would not hesitate on BRS deployment... and an early canopy open before splashdown.
designrs

Post by designrs »

Really good early post-event interview transcript with Sully:

Highlights:
Most communication non-verbal.
No time for ditch checklist.
Ditch button was not depressed. Holes from impact were greater than the vent holes that the ditch button would have closed.
They only had time to go through page 1 of 3 of engine restart checklist.

http://www.airspacemag.com/as-interview ... -53584029/
BrianL99

Post by BrianL99 »

designrs wrote:
BrianL99 wrote:Not to detract from the fact there were no serious injuries, most any competent airline pilot could have put that airplane in the water.
Really? At the time I think the controllers were actually in disbelief when Sully told them he was going to put it down in the Hudson? I believe their best suggestion was Teterboro airport which was out of range?

Then again, it makes perfect sense for damage control in a dense area like that. There was not any other place to go!

Unfortunately, the vast majority of ATC's, aren't pilots and wouldn't have a real clue what Sullenberger was going through.

I've never put one down in the water, but I'm sure it beats trying to put it down in some neighborhood, just short of the Teterboro airport.